saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600/800 vs Xterra 705

Can someone please tell me the difference between the Xterra 705 and the Equinox 600/800?

Why would I want one over the other?

For a beginner, forgetting cost, would I be better off with the Equinox 600/800 or the Xterra 705.

Use is mainly at the beach.

Thank you

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 705 can run in one freq at a time and the freq is dependent on which coil you install whereas the equinox series can run multiple freqs at one time.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is a great machine...But the Nox can be used in the saltwater and in the rain.
The 600 would be a good starter MD
SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-Terra is a single freq detector, up to 3 freq by changing the coil, 1 freq at a time. Equinox has multi-iq running multiple freqs at same time. The xterra does not work well in wet salt sand with out turning down the sensitivity which causes loss of depth. Xterra can't be used in the water. Not in the same league.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is a great machine...But the Nox can be used in the saltwater and in the rain.
The 600 would be a good starter MD
SS

This is what I wanted to verify. I want to be able to use the detector in knee deep salt water and it seems the XTerra is not suited for that environment.

Sounds like I need to go back to the Equinox 600. Someone just has a great deal on a XTerra for sale on this forum and I wanted to be sure I knew what I was getting

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please tell me the difference between the Xterra 705 and the Equinox 600/800?

Thank you

the Xterra 705 smells like oranges and the equinox smells like apples...

although made by the same brand the equinox is way more cooler.

i've never met anyone who would choose the xtera over the equinox.....for any reason....

Last edited:

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was recently eye balling the X-Terra 705 for gold prospecting & while searching came across talk of this Equinox series of detectors. After reading for a couple weeks, comparing the two, I decided to go with an Equinox 800.
The #1 reason I chose the Equinox was because of its ability to be submerged to 10ft & I was planning on using whatever detector I got in rivers & lakes.
Multi IQ would be the second reason I bought this machine.
And the list goes on.
If your not prospecting the 600 would suit your needs for a very similar price tag.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saanich, just now read your thread, and if your somewhat new to detecting, your question is a good and honest one. So here goes. I own a X-Terra 70, pretty much the same as the 705 except no backlight. When I bought the X-Terra I did so because of the option of changing Freq's, they being 3, 7.5 I believe and 18.75. To do so you of course must change the coil itself. Now if your a good distance from your car, you would need to be hunting for something specific, say silver, using the 3Khz coil of choice, otherwise to carry two extra coils would be something of an inconvenience, and, the 705 does have a prospecting mode as well. I as others I'm sure have bought four additional coil's for the 70, small and large 3Khz. and the same for the 18.75 coils, since the 705 comes with the 7.5 stock coil only, the others would be options at additional cost, and not cheap ones. Now...the EQ 6 or 800, it operates in Multi IQ, (5 Freq's) together, much better for ground conditions and detecting in general I feel, and gives you the option of switching to a single Freq. if wanted, being 5, 10 and 15 on the 600, or 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40 on the 800, without changing anything, and, it is waterproof to 10', if you should go into a creek, pond etc., slips and falls do happen, and you don't want to fry your detector, and nothing but good reports about the EQ's on salt water beaches. The 800 also has a prospecting mode as well. I have taken the batteries out of the X-Terra, and it will be hanging on the wall with others that have been retired. I believe the 705 will be discontinued in the near future because of the EQ's. If your choice would be between the 705 and say the EQ 600, for the price point, I would go with the 600. You would have so much more detector. You of course want the most bang for the buck, and these EQ's may just be it. Hope this helps a little to your question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread