5 tones or 50 tones in iron? That is the question.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find 4 tones to be the best... iron, foilish stuff, gold, silver. My high/mid tone break is between 20/21. If I hear a target bouncing between mid/high I know it's a zincoln and I keep moving.

Can you go into a little more detail on how you set up "3" and "4" tones? I presume these are just variants on 5 tones (since you can only chose 1, 2, 5, and 50 tones) with some adjacent 5-tone segments customized to have the samed pitch, but where do you have each of the 5-tone segment breakpoints set?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I've been forcing myself to stick with 50 tones to program my muscle memory. The audio is decent, just wish they'd modulated it better (full range vs just deep).

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you go into a little more detail on how you set up "3" and "4" tones? I presume these are just variants on 5 tones (since you can only chose 1, 2, 5, and 50 tones) with some adjacent 5-tone segments customized to have the samed pitch, but where do you have each of the 5-tone segment breakpoints set?

It's just a slightly tweaked 5 tone mode, but you need to be able to set the break so you need an 800 for this mode. For 3 tones, you could do it with the 600, using just tones 1,15,18.

Lately I've been using this setup for my 800 for beach hunting. Any time I hear that 4th tone, I know it's going to be something small (or gum wrapper or a foil top). Mid tone for larger better targets. Nothing wrong with 5 tone, but I wanted to be able to identify small items because in very trashy areas it's likely foil, but in a cleaner area (water, wet sand) I may be hoping for a small ladies ring.

If it steadily bounces between mid/high, it's almost always a zinc penny, rarely even need to look at the display.

4 Tone mode (modified custom 5 tone)

TONE (BREAK): VALUE
T1(0): 1 (LOW)
T2(6): 6 <- small items or foil tops (SLIGHTLY HIGHER LOW TONE)
T3(20): 12 (MID)
T4(30): 18 (HIGH)
T5(---): 18 (HIGH)

3 Tone mode (modified stock 5 tone):

T1: 1
T2: 12
T3: 12
T4: 18
T5: 18

Some headphones make iron hard to hear, sometimes I need to bump T1 up to a 3.

I wish the equinox had the ability to store a user profile for each mode in addition to keeping the factory default modes.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately I've been using this setup for my 800 for beach hunting. Any time I hear that 4th tone, I know it's going to be something small (or gum wrapper or a foil top). Mid tone for larger better targets.

If it steadily bounces between mid/high, it's almost always a zinc penny, rarely even need to look at the display.

Break Position / tone
-9-0, TONE 1 (LOW)
1-6, TONE 6 <- small items or foil tops (SLIGHTLY HIGHER LOW TONE)
7-20, TONE 12 (MID)
21-30, TONE 18 (HIGH)
30+, TONE 18 (HIGH)

Yeah that makes sense as a good "4" tone setup with the 4th tone being all clad and silver jewelry. I too have noticed the zincoln 20-21 "shuffle" lol. Really corroded ones stay mid, though, so you have have to scoop them just in case (i.e., possible gold) unless you notice the high teens or are savvy enough to determine they are really shallow (gold typically won't be). So when that nasty thing does manage to find it way into the scoop, well let's just say, not good things come out of my mouth. Lol.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread