Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Shaft question

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has any one tried either the;

"Plugger's 36" One Piece Carbon Fiber Straight Shaft for the Minelab Equinox"

or

Anderson Carbon Fiber Shaft and Lower Rod for the New Minelab Equinox​

If so, any comments regarding quality, differences, likes or dislikes or any other information you think would be useful concerning either of these two (2) items would be greatly appreciated... Thanks "D"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has any one tried either the;

"Plugger's 36" One Piece Carbon Fiber Straight Shaft for the Minelab Equinox"

or

Anderson Carbon Fiber Shaft and Lower Rod for the New Minelab Equinox​

If so, any comments regarding quality, differences, likes or dislikes or any other information you think would be useful concerning either of these two (2) items would be greatly appreciated... Thanks "D"

I got the wobble wobble

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got the wobble wobble

Yeah I have the same wobble, wobbles, that's why I'm asking about either of the two mentioned shafts. I also texted Sgoss, who made some high quality CTX shafts (that I bought two (2) of and very happy with) to see if he was planning on making Carbon Fiber replacement shafts for the Equinox. I haven't heard back from him yet, but when I do I'll let you know what he say's. So until then I'm still looking for answers, don't wanna get stuck with something I'm not happy with, that's why I value the information provided here, these guy's and this forum has helped me more than I would've ever thought possible...

"D"

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched a youtube video on the Anderson.... looks great and was the same opinion stated in the video. Once I determine my EQ is here to stay I will be buying one. Hard to believe Minelab hits so many good notes with this detector but can't make it good to swing.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watched a youtube video on the Anderson.... looks great and was the same opinion stated in the video. Once I determine my EQ is here to stay I will be buying one. Hard to believe Minelab hits so many good notes with this detector but can't make it good to swing.

I agree top of the line every with a crappy front grill.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Personal preference on the features each has. I will considered length for packing in a suitcase and shaft locks as two major factors before purchasing. Interchangeability with other detectors is also something I will look at.

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm running the Plugger shaft on my 600 love it so far. Well worth the cost. I did notice a slight wobble in the stock shaft so I replaced it with the Plugger before my first water hunt. The water will make the wobble worse.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got two plugger shafts for my 2 excals water hunt only really like and well balanced

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a problem with wobble on my EQX, but want a dedicated water setup for my 600 machine which will be my backup and water only machine. I think the lower rod on the Equinox fills with sand and water and does not drain properly and would like a multi-piece shaft I can break down for travel but has a water hunting compatible lower rod that drains properly. Does Plugger sell a lower rod with their two-piece EQX CF shafts? Does the Anderson break down or is it a one-piece shaft + lower rod?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got that right.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I got the wobble where do I get this shaft?

I actually just noticed the other day and then REALLY noticed today once it was in my head already.

P.S. Should I get the 2pc or 1pc? I can get a Plugger’s 2pc for $99 plus $17 shipping. Or Anderson’s 1pc for $149 plus $12 shipping. Is there a difference besides the obvious price and convenience for travel?

Last edited:

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed...I love the thing but my T2 feels MUCH better to swing.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another option. I just completed an install of Doc's rods. Made for Minelab gold machines but will fit the Nox and is solid like a rock. This is a two piece rod system with fiberglass lowers and carbon upper. We split a package and each of us got TWO lowers and an upper for $115. Zero wiggle, long lowers for lots of overlap and coil mounting rubber washers that are bigger than factory! You will have to drill holes for the cuff [if using the original] and the Nox itself. The rest of the adjust holes and twist lock are included. Dave

Can be found here and other sites: https://www.robsdetectors.com/carbon-fiber-bundle-set/

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't stand the wobble anymore! So I ordered a Plugger Equinox 36" Carbon Fiber Two Piece Travel Shaft. It was supposed to be here yesterday but USPS dropped the ball on that delivery. Hopefully I'll get it today.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making your own 2 piece rod is not rocket science and less then half the price, just a carbon tube and a shaft lock. $44 or so shipped i have the bits and epoxy to mount the shaft-lock. The only hole that can be tricky is for the cuff. i don't have a drill press so drilled a pilot hole in line with the rest and will take it to a friend who does to drill thru tube nice and straight.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making your own 2 piece rod is not rocket science and less then half the price, just a carbon tube and a shaft lock. $44 or so shipped i have the bits and epoxy to mount the shaft-lock. The only hole that can be tricky is for the cuff. i don't have a drill press so drilled a pilot hole in line with the rest and will take it to a friend who does to drill thru tube nice and straight.

Links?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Anderson and it really helps the ergonomics.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some work with carbon fiber last year, for you do it yourself guys a couple things to look out for. Carbon fiber is abrasive you need razor sharp tooling to drill it and as much speed as possible. I was drilling on a milling machine at 5,000 rpms and wished I had 10,000. I was using a 4 flute CARBIDE end mill and pushing through slowly. On a mill that's absolutely rigid with the tube clamped down rigid in V blocks. Even then it was frustrating. There's not much resin in the tubing the fibers tend to splinter and separate. Carbon fiber slivers are like wood slivers only 5x worse. Tiny, like you will need a magnifying glass to pluck them out of your hands with tweezers so during and after drilling clean them all up with a shop vac and don't breath them in or the dust. The holes will need to be deburred. Ideally all drilled holes resealed with some thinned epoxy to secure any lifted fibers. Just saying.

v2alarge.jpg

I also milled a bunch of large holes in the ML lower rod to remove some weight.

v2d.jpg

v2b.jpg

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180720_155508.jpg did this in under 2 hours 20180720_154314.jpg hand drill and didn' cut it down let it run wild to the coil end. Paintets tape and a chalk line, easy & fast.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nagant carbon fiber is electrically conductive and detectable by the machine recommend you shorten to put some distance between the coil and the carbon fiber shaft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread