Default Iron Bias Setting Equivalents 600/800 ?

MRS GOLD

Greenie
Jun 6, 2018
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In park 1 and beach 1 and 2 on the 600 the iron bias default setting is 2, on the 800 default setting is 6. Why is the default setting not 4 on the 800 in these modes when that is the equivalent to 2 on the 600 according to the equivalent iron bias chart in the manual? Just trying to learn all I can. HH

My guess is the answer is more simple than technical... it's that with only 3 settings if you put it at default 2 you only have to hit the button once to go lower or higher.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of what Iron Patch was getting at. On the 800, 6 is an intermediate setting but is the highest equivalent setting on the 600 (i.e., 3). So to give relative middle-of-the road performance on iron bias, they picked 2 instead of 3. I guess they figured 4 would be "too low" for the 800. Iron bias is a filter, so there are no hard and fast rules on how to set it. In this case the default setting is a starting point, and as Patch said, on the 600 the 2 setting allows you to adjust it up or down. i personally don't like filters because they tend to also filter out stuff you DO want to hear (e.g., in thick iron, iron bias tends to filter out masked high conductors amongst the iron, so it is counterproductive to use it), so I usually set Iron Bias at 0 on by 800, which is the default setting for Park 2 and Field 2. I tend to like to hear it all an minimize discrimination and any other filters (notch or iron bias). HTH.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Because Minelab...

Iron Bias was a feature added the EQX very late in production. It was not available on the beta machines that testers used. It is odd that its different but maybe the ability to go up/down is an answer. We don't really know but yea its odd. Either way setting it to zero on both machines is recommended in most cases unless you have a reason for turning it up.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of what Iron Patch was getting at. On the 800, 6 is an intermediate setting but is the highest equivalent setting on the 600 (i.e., 3). So to give relative middle-of-the road performance on iron bias, they picked 2 instead of 3. I guess they figured 4 would be "too low" for the 800. Iron bias is a filter, so there are no hard and fast rules on how to set it. In this case the default setting is a starting point, and as Patch said, on the 600 the 2 setting allows you to adjust it up or down. i personally don't like filters because they tend to also filter out stuff you DO want to hear (e.g., in thick iron, iron bias tends to filter out masked high conductors amongst the iron, so it is counterproductive to use it), so I usually set Iron Bias at 0 on by 800, which is the default setting for Park 2 and Field 2. I tend to like to hear it all an minimize discrimination and any other filters (notch or iron bias). HTH.

Ah Ha!, the small bulb in my head just flickered. Took the 800 out yesterday for the first time, ran in Park 1. 6 would seem high, and being a new guy on the EQ, perhaps try say 3? or 2?. Nice clear reply V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions