early air test compare equinox 6 inch to 11 inch coil

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is my air test on the Equinox 800 comparing the 11 inch stock coil to the 6” coil.
Did a factory reset and set sensitivity to 21, recovery speed to 6. Iron bias of 6.
Setup and methods: I set the coils on an all plastic child’s picnic table to eliminate any metal. Swept the table to determine there were no metal objects in the table.
Use a yard stick butted up against the base of the coil. My depth measurements were taken when the TID numbers for each metal object started going from a strong signal to an iffy signal. My hand sweep was done to replicate the normal sweep of a coil passing from left to right and back over the metal object.
I am a relic hunter mainly interested in Civil War items and only had three three ringers to test along with some silver coins. The results below are only for the .57 caliber. Not much difference in the slightly smaller calibers.
Below are just some preliminary tests and not the whole combinations of different items on all different hunting modes.
6” coil
.57 caliber bullet at 4 inches rang up a 19 in the park1 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 5.5 inches rang up 16-19 in the park2 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 6.5 inches rang up 16 in the gold2 mode.

11” coil
.57 caliber bullet at 8 inches rang up a 16 in the park2 mode.
.57 caliber bullet at 10 inches rang up 16 in the gold2 mode.

6” coil
Standing liberty quarter 4.5 inches rang up 29 in park2 mode.
Barber dime 3 inches rang up 21-22 in park1 mode
Barber dime 6 inches rang up 22 in park2 mode

11” coil
Standing liberty quarter 10 inches rang up 25 in gold2 mode.
Barber dime 7 inches rang up 21-22 in park2 mode.
Barber dime 8.5 inches rang up 21 in gold2 mode.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this should answer a few questions, thanks. looks a depth drop or loss so far at this point unless someone figures out something better. kind of the old saying of for every gain there is a loss. still may be perfect for some applications, even relic but a lot of relics tend to be fairly deep (at least I think so). still may clean up in those shallower depths, time will tell more

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
keep in mind I really did not try to fine tune it with different settings. I am confident an experienced detectorist can adjust the settings and make it more effective than my air tests show.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I is true you will get a depth loss, though. So the results are not that surprising. You did try to cover a spectrum of settings by the various combinations and that is great. The result I find most curious is hitting the barber dime DEEPER than the standing liberty quarter, but that probably goes to the fact that you were using Park 2 which will tend to hit harder on the smaller coin profile because of the higher weighted frequency.

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Thank you the test Felix! It's very useful information! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread