ML waterproof headphones volume

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine is a few days ago but I haven't had a chance to use them yet hopefully this isn't a problem

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just plugged them in and went in my yard.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just received my ML waterproof headphones and I can barely hear , the volume is up all the way, is this a problem for anyone . Thanks

The yellow ML headphones have been a problem for years on every detector. Guys like OBN have hacked them to make them much louder. I am skipping the ML version and just using waterproof earbuds for now. I may get the GG when they come out.

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ear buds but I want to go a little deeper. I like the way they feel. But they are no goog to my this way, I have contacted M L but of course they are away from their desk, someone will contact me within 24 hours

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco has custom made headphones for the Equinox that you have to turn your volume down or they will blow your eardrums out.

They are exclusively made for kellyco, have a longer cable allowing you to route the cable out of the back of the Equinox, under the shaft and tie wrap it to the bottom of the arm cuff, the cable then is behind you not hanging in front of you. They also have real speakers with resonating chamber not piezos speaker. I bought a set for mine and they are very nice.

Kellyco Custom Equinox Headphones 2.jpg

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like with the CTX, but slightly better, the Equinox doesn't have enough volume output with piezo type headphones, in my opinion. The ones posted above, probably same as the ones from Hungary (ebay), are very adequately loud with great tone sound because they have actual sealed speaker modules, visation brand. They are very loud, have to turn down to 22/23 to keep from ringing the ears on the high tones, slightly weaker on mid tones though. They don't work underwater after they fill with water, not useable for diving. Great for wading though, slightly smaller ear cups comparably.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
May I recommend Tony Eisenhower's WP headphones. I recieved mine 2 weeks ago and they are loud and very well made and the volume is the controls on my equinox 800.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco has custom made headphones for the Equinox that you have to turn your volume down or they will blow your eardrums out.

They are exclusively made for kellyco, have a longer cable allowing you to route the cable out of the back of the Equinox, under the shaft and tie wrap it to the bottom of the arm cuff, the cable then is behind you not hanging in front of you. They also have real speakers with resonating chamber not piezos speaker. I bought a set for mine and they are very nice.

View attachment 1615905

EXCLUSIVELY would not be true, those are the same headphones I bought on eBay from a guy in Europe. I can almost guarantee they are because I was probably the first person here to order them.

I can also say they are not very good. They are incredibly uncomfortable after 30 minutes of use and the waterproof speaker becomes impossible to hear once it gets wet. In fact, I posted here about them a few months back when I purchased them.

They are made from generic construction earmuffs (which is typical of waterproof headphones), and inexpensive waterproof speakers. Total manufacturing cost probably around $20.

They are very loud on land but once they get wet they are impossible to hear ... I hunted with mine last night at CWB and nearly threw them in the trash on the way out.

Just being honest!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCLUSIVELY would not be true, those are the same headphones I bought on eBay from a guy in Europe. I can almost guarantee they are because I was probably the first person here to order them.

I can also say they are not very good. They are incredibly uncomfortable after 30 minutes of use and the waterproof speaker becomes impossible to hear once it gets wet. In fact, I posted here about them a few months back when I purchased them.

They are made from generic construction earmuffs (which is typical of waterproof headphones), and inexpensive waterproof speakers. Total manufacturing cost probably around $20.

They are very loud on land but once they get wet they are impossible to hear ... I hunted with mine last night at CWB and nearly threw them in the trash on the way out.

Just being honest!

He does not sell on EBay, your seeing phones from a different seller. As far as not very good, I and 3 other owners I know all have them and all agree they are very good. They are being made with longer cables, real speakers and resonating chambers.

I tested HPs by sinking them in 5 gal bucket for 30 mins and still have great volume even when they were full of water.

There are multiple makers using the same housing selling on EBay not just one maker, cant speak about ones you bought only ones my partners and I have.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He does not sell on EBay, your seeing phones from a different seller. As far as not very good, I and 3 other owners I know all have them and all agree they are very good. They are being made with longer cables, real speakers and resonating chambers.

I tested HPs by sinking them in 5 gal bucket for 30 mins and still have great volume even when they were full of water.

There are multiple makers using the same housing selling on EBay not just one maker, cant speak about ones you bought only ones my partners and I have.

Motorola spiral cable, Visaton brand, waterproof, diaphragm loudspeakers.Amphenol ip68 waterproof connector.

You tested them in fresh water right?

I assure you they are the same headphones. Mine are definitely louder than the minelab piezo headphones, but once they get submerged once in SALT water, they are really faint.. so bad that I can't hear anything but very loud targets.

I've disassembled them to verify that there are no open solder connections which could be shorting. Everything is sealed up (with hot glue) as expected. If they did indeed stay loud once wet I would be happy with them.

Once they get truly wet (I don't mean a splash, but filled with water and drained again) they are faint for days. I found if I bang the water out of the grill as hard as I can they get just a little louder but still faint until they dry out.

I'm hoping it's just a short in mine due to salt water meeting an open connection ... I'll need to disassemble and seal all the solder connections again with something better than hot glue. I've dunked them in fresh water on my test bench and did NOT have the problem which seems to point to a short because fresh water is less conductive. I also tried after adding salt to the water but probably not enough to reproduce the problem.

The other issue with them is that the spiral cable is very stiff and constantly pulls the right cuff away from my ear and pulls the ear cuff down to the lowest point which is kinda painful.

Hopefully these problems were sorted out with the headphones made for KellyCo. I CAN confirm they ARE very loud when dry an that is why I still have them.

Also, I am not knocking KellyCo here, I think it's great that they tried to offer more options because the minelab headphones are not very good.

If these sets KellyCo received are loud once wet, I would definitely recommend them over the minelab set.

Note: My grill is white because the grills were painted black and the paint came off eventually.

IMG_1459.JPG

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen at least 4 different sellers selling similar hps, as stated I can only speak about the ones I own, volume didnt decrease in water. I dont dive so I cant say how well they do 10 foot deep.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen at least 4 different sellers selling similar hps, as stated I can only speak about the ones I own, volume didnt decrease in water. I dont dive so I cant say how well they do 10 foot deep.

Similar yes but there is only one seller with this specific headphone.

I haven't used mine underwater, they are not designed for that. That is why he now also makes a piezo version which I am sure are not as loud.

UPDATE: I found the issue with mine. Water is seeping into the inside of the speaker... the speaker magnet is rusting and there was water behind the speaker cones. This area was waterproofed with duct tape, which obviosuly didnt work.

Hopefully this has been corrected in your newer set.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey TreasureHunter, could you please delete all of my replies in this thread regarding the earlier problems I had with these headphones?

I spoke with the person who makes these headphones and he confirmed that he also found the problem and has since corrected it, so the KellyCo headphones will not have the issues that mine had.

Since fixing mine they sound great! They are much louder than piezo headphones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TreasureHunter, could you please delete all of my replies in this thread regarding the earlier problems I had with these headphones?

I spoke with the person who makes these headphones and he confirmed that he also found the problem and has since corrected it, so the KellyCo headphones will not have the issues that mine had.

Since fixing mine they sound great! They are much louder than piezo headphones.

No need to remove your replies as you have updated your headphone issue here, if I delete yours I have to delete mine too, deleting multiple posts leaves holes in threads.

I knew we were talking about different vendors as the Kellyco vendor can not sell on Ebay, his contract with Kellyco does not allow him to sell on Ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on ML waterproof hp I got them back in a week and they sound great. The feel good not like the regular hp that come with the 600. So far I am happy

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reading some of the post about the Mnelab waterproof headphones having low volume. I have a set of the ML headphones for my Nox 800 the volume is just fine even using the factory volume setting. The other thing I like about the WP phones is I think the tonne is much better than the wireless, the only problem is hate to give up the convence of wireless.

Last edited:

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter are these the headphones you are referring to ? LS.PELSO Underwater Headphones (Compatible with EQUINOX) at Kellyco ? The only other headphones I could find on the Kellyco website were the ML phones. I just got a EQ 800 and would like to get a pair of Underwater phones for it. Thanks in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread