Ctx sleeping in the closet

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have a question for you. For all of the guys that own both the CTX and an Equinox, how much have you used your 3030 lately? Since I got the Equinox a few months ago, the CTX has not seen the light of day. This made me curious to see what other guys were doing. I know the CTX is an all-around better machine. I just love the recovery speed and lightweight design of the Equinox. Maybe once I feel I have the Equinox fully mastered I will take the CTX out hunting again. Anyways, I just was curious how you guys were hunting and whether or not you have been taking the Rolls Royce out for a spin around the block lately.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wanted a 3030, but the price is out of my league and I don't even care about the GPS... I don't share my hunts on social media. When the Equinox came out I was hoping it was the poor man's CTX. So far I love it, but tell me since you have hunted with the CTX previously, what difference do you notice OTHER than VDI (I know the CTX is better at displaying targets but lets talk about audio)

Do they sound similar? So pennies sound similar? Are broken iffy targets similar? Has depth been similar? Just curious.

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted a 3030, but the price is out of my league and I don't even care about the GPS... I don't share my hunts on social media. When the Equinox came out I was hoping it was the poor man's CTX. So far I love it, but tell me since you have hunted with the CTX previously, what difference do you notice OTHER than VDI (I know the CTX is better at displaying targets but lets talk about audio)

Do they sound similar? So pennies sound similar? Are broken iffy targets similar? Has depth been similar? Just curious.
Some of the differences I have noticed are the lack of overload feature on the Equinox, flimsier feel of the equinox, no trace id feature, better tone id numbers on the ctx, and a much better depth gauge on the CTX.

The overload feature would have been very welcome on the Equinox but you can use other tricks to guess the size of your target, most notably the pinpoint button.

The Ctx's shaft feels rock solid whereas the Equinox is much flexier if there is such a word. I wish the Equinox felt more solid but a guy can live with it how it is.

The trace id feature on the CTX is nice. It's one of those features you pay the couple of grand for.

Where the CTX smokes the Equinox in my opinion is the rock solid tone id numbers and the depth gauge on the CTX being very accurate whereas the Equinox leaves more to be desired. You can call targets much easier with the 3030.

As far as tones, both have the 50 tones option. Like all detectors, you are looking for solid, round, unclipped sounds. They sound very similar and both sound like a Minelab.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the differences I have noticed are the lack of overload feature on the Equinox, flimsier feel of the equinox, no trace id feature, better tone id numbers on the ctx, and a much better depth gauge on the CTX.

The overload feature would have been very welcome on the Equinox but you can use other tricks to guess the size of your target, most notably the pinpoint button.

The Ctx's shaft feels rock solid whereas the Equinox is much flexier if there is such a word. I wish the Equinox felt more solid but a guy can live with it how it is.

The trace id feature on the CTX is nice. It's one of those features you pay the couple of grand for.

Where the CTX smokes the Equinox in my opinion is the rock solid tone id numbers and the depth gauge on the CTX being very accurate whereas the Equinox leaves more to be desired. You can call targets much easier with the 3030.

As far as tones, both have the 50 tones option. Like all detectors, you are looking for solid, round, unclipped sounds. They sound very similar and both sound like a Minelab.

So after all those plusses you still find yourself taking the EQ? Have you notice much difference in your hunts?

OP
OP
ShortbusElite

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after all those plusses you still find yourself taking the EQ? Have you notice much difference in your hunts?
I have noticed that I can swing and move a little faster, and my back hurtdd s less at the end of the day!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Totally agree about the overload

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what Shorty is saying, especially the target I.D. and depth gauge. I would also add that I like the Nox better in iron infested areas. I'd rather use the CTX/Etrac/Explorer/Excalibur for wide open beaches however, mainly because of the larger coils you can get for them. Sure would like to see that 15" coil for the Nox to see how it compares with the others! Another area that the Nox shines over the other FBS machines is when finding small targets....especially gold and platinum. It's both a blessing and curse in foil infested sites, but, nothing else I have used works as well as the Nox for finding those tiny objects.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have both the EQ and the CTX. I am still keeping my CTX and will only be using it with the Coiltec large coil for beach wet sand hunts until minelab releases the EQ large coil. After that I may let the CTX go to a new home.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to agree with both shortbus and Cuda, both have there good and bad points and both are great machines. I'm still learning the Equinox and still have more to learn on the CTX. I like the CTX better for relic hunting, that sturdy shaft make a big difference swinging in the woods, but it is a heavy machine, but I'm okay with the extra weight because what the CTX has to offer out weighs (no pun intended) it's heaviness... JMO

"D"

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sold my CTX when I bought the nox (after testing that it was just as good for my needs). $1900 on feebay with the 17'' coil and extra waterproof headphones. Still had over 1yr warranty too. I only need 1 VLF and a PI for backup. Never liked having a $2500 machine in the first place and I never needed the features of the CTX for beach hunting. The things that sold me were the weight, cost, and just as deep/sensitive.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used my ctx for comparison purpose since purchasing the nox 800. It is collecting some dust but it still has its place in my arsenal. I dont plan to get rid of it at this point.

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
After using the ctx for a number of years, I bought the 800 in March. Since then, I have not used it once.... Did think on selling the ctx, but decided not to as it has the 6 inch coil with it. Rather than buy a 6 for the 800 at 180 English pounds, better to keep the ctx. It's got the sensitivity to tiny and marginal targets that we like.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After using the ctx for a number of years, I bought the 800 in March. Since then, I have not used it once.... Did think on selling the ctx, but decided not to as it has the 6 inch coil with it. Rather than buy a 6 for the 800 at 180 English pounds, better to keep the ctx. It's got the sensitivity to tiny and marginal targets that we like.

Except the CTX even with the small coil has a much slower recovery speed than Equinox and is less sensitive to mid-conductive targets like gold than the Equinox. There is no comparison, frankly between the two small coil applications, the CTX limitations still dominate. The CTX has the advantage of deep high conductor recovery and very accurate TID's (if it acquires the target) plus the other bells and whistles as you know, but don't be fooled that the CTX with a 6" coil covers the same bases as the Equinox with the 6" coil, that is all I am saying. And compared to the cost of the CTX 6" coil, you are getting a lot more bang for the buck. I would actually consider selling the CTX 6" coil to fund the EQX 6" coil purchase. HTH HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread