Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Forearm / Elbow issue

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6094 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That was easy.
    saanich2018, A2coins and Hawks88 like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Apr 2012
    Western New York
    Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
    357 times
    Metal Detecting
    you can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun. Works great.
    A2coins and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22015 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, that was.. no it wasn't.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    22470 times
    Hope you can get it comfortable. I take the control off my Deus and it's like swinging a Bear switch.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Jul 2017
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now.
    I picked up rubber knee pad at the Dollar Store and cut it to fit in the arm cuff. Makes a nice soft fit for my arm.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    335 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Why not just use the included strap and pull it tight instead of heating it up?

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19555 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Good luck. Shortening the shaft and heating the cuff has helped some folks. Some put more $$$ into an aftermarket lower shaft. I went back to the Deus as I have been running circles around the other the machines. Been doing Indian artifacts lately though.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    May 2017
    Connecticut
    Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
    345 times
    good info. I've been having similar bicep and elbow issues with the Equinox.

us
    Jan 2012
    168 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvanb View Post
    good info. I've been having similar bicep and elbow issues with the Equinox.
    Me too, Great thread, Patch!
    ripvanb, A2coins and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2044 times
    Just picked up the Nox myself and found it light. But being unbalanced it made my wrist swell. I did find a simple solution as the arm rest bolt cross threaded when I first put the Nox together. The holes in the shaft were offset and the armrest bolt which i could not feel or see happening cross threaded. So after taking the dremmel to get the stuck arm rest bolt off I purchased some plastic ties. Then just off setting the bottom part of the arm rest called the stand I affixed it with plastic ties and cut off excess tie. Not perfect weight balance but sure I could add weight if I wanted. I can add a picture later if anyone is interested. For now Im going detecting.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    736 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wrist/arm/shoulder fatigue -- or even pain -- is something that I know several folks deal with, with the Equinox. It's one of the machine's few (in my opinion) shortcomings -- too much weight at one end (the coil end), and nearly ZERO at the other (butt) end. Thus, it's an unbalanced machine, forcing you to exert the necessary force with your wrist/arm/shoulder to counteract that nose-heaviness.

Along with the other ideas mentioned in this thread which can help reduce the issue, another thing that helps with the nose-heaviness, and resulting ergonomic issues, is to run your lower rod a bit shorter than you otherwise might. Having the coil in closer to your feet (i.e. the machine in a bit more "vertical" position), while you swing, reduces the "leverage effect" of the coil. Think of how much harder it is to hold the detector out in front of you, parallel to the ground. Try that -- sort of in a "shooting from the hip" position, and see how heavy the machine feels, and how difficult it becomes, in a short period of time, to hold the machine level/parallel to the ground. From that perspective, the more "upright" you swing your machine, the "lighter" it feels, and the easier it is on your "swinging arm" (as would be expected from a leverage/physics perspective).

If all of these options mentioned here don't help, the other very good (in my biased opinion, LOL) option is COUNTERWEIGHTING. Using counterweighting really does help. You can rig something up to counterweight the machine in a DIY manner, OR -- I offer that option (a nice, carbon-fiber, removable and adjustable counterweight) with my carbon-fiber shafts...

Steve
    ripvanb, A2coins, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2684 times
    Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now.
    Funny how little things cause big problems. My old sovereign caused pain in the shoulder until I put a straight shaft on it. Just the angle of the wrist caused all that. Look for the tiny things.

Sounds corny, but consider getting a bottle of Absorbine Jr. old school YES but it really helps my shoulder. Best part? It don't stink!!!
    Last edited by boogeyman; Mar 30, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3700 times
    Metal Detecting
    +1 on Steves Equinox CW rods. Can swing the 800 all day long. No longer a nose heavy pig!
    sgoss66, ripvanb, A2coins and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    736 times
    Metal Detecting
    I appreciate the kind words, sir!

Thank you!

Steve

Charter Member
    us
    Coinshootist

Oct 2016
    WI
    Equinox 800, XP Deus
    177 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a good point, and not something I considered... that the positioned where the cuff is mounted may also be part of the problem. I'm also now question if even moving it, as well as losing the strap, will be enough for it to feel good enough for me to want to swing. I wonder if buying an Anderson shaft would be a good idea, or would just be a distinction without a difference.
    I purchased the Anderson shaft due to the same issues, and can attest that this shaft WILL NOT help you with this issue. It will stabilize the "wobble" from the original shaft, but the Nox is still nose heavy.

I recently bought a custom shaft from Steves Custom Fiber Equinox Shafts in the classifieds who makes custom NOX shafts with a counter weight in the back of the shaft. I have only used it one time for 3.5 hrs, so I cannot give an honest opinion on it yet. After this weekend (I have an 8+ hour hunt planned for Sat) I will update you on my experience.
    Last edited by DeepDigs; Apr 04, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Hawks88, sgoss66 and ripvanb like this.
    "There is no such thing as a hunted out location. There are only those whose patience has run out and who aren't up for the challenge."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links