Equinox update

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if they would come out with update for the shaft wobble all would be good, but one had not hold their breath for that update you may turn blue first.
That is what everyone said about a software update. Said it could be years if it happened at all. Came out pretty quickly actually. So you never know. Minelab might surprise us.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if they would come out with update for the shaft wobble all would be good, but one had not hold their breath for that update you may turn blue first.

They did......it's called Plugger or Anderson! :laughing7:

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did......it's called Plugger or Anderson! :laughing7:
Lol very true. Most people end up changing out shafts from stock at some point anyway. No stock shaft is ideal. I swapped out both my ctx and etrac shafts. Never got that far with at pro because I knew I would be upgrading machines at some point.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats what i tell the Mrs, she's not convinced

when you click on the download on the Minelab link you are downloading an update program. When you plug your Equinox charger cable to your computer you are providing a way for the update program on your computer to talk to your Equinox.
you must have your equinox powered up and connected to your computer. If you have the latest version of windows 10 or what ever is the latest version of mac OS it makes the update easy. If you have an old computer and old operating system like Window 7, you will likely have problems. It only takes a few minutes to install the program after you run the update program. There is the ability to roll back the update. Just do the update again and it will give you this option to go back to the original version.

This is just an overview of the steps, not the specific steps.

As a side note to windows users. If your PC is more than three years old you need to buy a new one. You will get windows 10. Windows 10 keeps your computer constantly update with the latest windows update if connected to the internet which is just about all PC users. You need to have a very good anti-virus and anti-malware program always running on your computer. My wife's dad has had two ransom episodes in the past year where he had to pay a local technician $200 to fix the problem. Hint, malwarebytes cost $39 for the Premium version. Don't get the free version, not enough protection. There are plenty of other good ones. Bitdefender total security, McAfee LiveSafe, etc.

and make sure your windows 10 firewall is always turned on. It is called windows defender. Even more protection turn off your computer at night.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltabfelix said, "There is the ability to roll back the update. Just do the update again and it will give you this option to go back to the original version."

The option to do the rollback is not nearly that obvious on the windows version, you have to click on the three dots in the bottom right corner of the screen that tells you that you have the latest version.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have OS 10.6.8, update page says it requires OS 10.10.... Anyone tried to update with outdated OS?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have OS 10.6.8, update page says it requires OS 10.10.... Anyone tried to update with outdated OS?

OS 10.6.8 will not update Equinox on older MacBook (mine)

OLDER OS.png

I had to use my PC Laptop running Windows 10 and the update went smoothly.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

the reason you should have the latest update on your computer is that most software developers (including Minelab) can not possibly test their code against all previous releases of windows or apple software because all previous releases are essentially different in many ways from the current release. It is a very good idea on your PC and Mac have the latest version of software and update, for this is what most new software is developed for.

(former windows software developer)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason you should have the latest update on your computer is that most software developers (including Minelab) can not possibly test their code against all previous releases of windows or apple software because all previous releases are essentially different in many ways from the current release. It is a very good idea on your PC and Mac have the latest version of software and update, for this is what most new software is developed for.

(former windows software developer)

Believe me, because of the nature of my day job, I know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, software operating systems never have been and never will be designed for human nature and all the warnings, antivirus updates, and admonitions (received with eyes glazing over, lol) are not going to change that fact. Their usability depends on their accessibility but it is also their achilles heel. Most folks do not have the same mind set as those that are designing the software programs those same people want to use, so it will always be an uphill battle to ensure cyber security. The result is a big pay day for the hackers and cyber security warriors, alike. Furthermore, the reasons why most folks stick with the older operating systems is because they just happen to be stable and work for the programs they are using on a daily basis. Some programs will not work on the latest and greatest OS, but folks are loyal to those things that do just work so they stick with the older configuration. Profit drives OS companies to move on to the next OS iteration and the need to support the old OS is just a risk and resource drain, but none of that matters to the person left behind because they have been using the same program for the last 10 years that "just works" for them. Just a fact of life...

Last edited:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My laptop is ancient, not sure if I can update its further......

I think I will download the MUU to my computer then transfer it to someone else's up to date laptop and run the update.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still can't get over how much the update quieted my 800 down. Can almost max sens. Inside my house! Still very deep too.....actually seems a little deeper TBH.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read a comment on a different site who owns two Nox's. One worked fine before update but he updated both anyway. He is happy with the update. As I lurk this topic, I do plan on getting a nox someday.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter switch our computer today to something she put together for now. Anyway windows seven and had to right click to administrative mode and that worked. Don't ask me how but it was a post here that helped, thanks! Now to get my email and all the other passwords i lost.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Believe me, because of the nature of my day job, I know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, software operating systems never have been and never will be designed for human nature and all the warnings, antivirus updates, and admonitions (received with eyes glazing over, lol) are not going to change that fact. Their usability depends on their accessibility but it is also their achilles heel. Most folks do not have the same mind set as those that are designing the software programs those same people want to use, so it will always be an uphill battle to ensure cyber security. The result is a big pay day for the hackers and cyber security warriors, alike. Furthermore, the reasons why most folks stick with the older operating systems is because they just happen to be stable and work for the programs they are using on a daily basis. Some programs will not work on the latest and greatest OS, but folks are loyal to those things that do just work so they stick with the older configuration. Profit drives OS companies to move on to the next OS iteration and the need to support the old OS is just a risk and resource drain, but none of that matters to the person left behind because they have been using the same program for the last 10 years that "just works" for them. Just a fact of life...

yeah, I forgot about that. Several years ago, upgrading to a new version of windows was a pain in the rear. But lately with my work, I now rent software from my software vendors (one example is MS office) and they keep their software updated every few months and windows 10 seems to update weekly. I also remember 4-5 years ago when the my computer crashed and had to start with a clean OS install I spent weeks loading back in all my legacy software and then copying my data files from my backup. Cost me a lot of money in lost time. So now I basically don't have any legacy software on my computer that is not rented. The reason I get a new computer every 3 years or less, it is faster, better in other aspects like more memory, memory drive for the OS to reside and a new disk drive with tons of space for pennies. There are two major reason for computer crashes in my experience. bad sectors on your disk drive where the OS lives. the other is viruses. Anyway, enough said, I am getting off topic here.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just upgraded with Win 7. Failed the first try and had to click on try again and it went fine the second time. I think I may of not given the update enough time to load all the needed drivers the first time.

Hope to get out today and give it a test run.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just upgraded with Win 7. Failed the first try and had to click on try again and it went fine the second time. I think I may of not given the update enough time to load all the needed drivers the first time.

Hope to get out today and give it a test run.

Ran into the same thing with Windows 7 Professional, gave me the error messaged failed, had to click second time to get it to load. My work laptop uses Win 7 Professional because of the software programs we use to program PLC's with does not support Win 10, will be glad when the PLC manufacture upgrades to Windows 10 like the rest of the world.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys make of this guys video?

Its after the update...and he is NOT jappy.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m so done with Equinox coin test videos. Doesn’t anyone detect anymore?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread