I got robbed !

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently these guys have never dug out a hut site or trash pit.....looks like you're diggin a hole for a dead horse. It would take a big towel to put all that dirt on!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently these guys have never dug out a hut site or trash pit.....looks like you're diggin a hole for a dead horse. Take a big towel to put all that dirt on!

I do understand what you are saying by hut and pit digging and use of a tarp or towel to help get the dirt back into the hole. But if by "these guys" you are referring to the video, I did not see anything close to the size of a hut or pit. I must have missed the dead horse hole, though I did see obvious dug spots, but it looks like the holes were covered even though dirt was visible and nothing that looked like it required a tarp or towel. Covering holes and respecting the wishes of the landowner are what guide my actions when recovering targets and covering my holes. I know Scott and he would not do anything that would be contrary to the wishes of the landowner (otherwise he wouldn't be repeatedly allowed back to his permissions - it kind of takes care of itself). Regarding pits and huts, I have seen A LOT worse on many organized relic hunt digs in VA (and I am NOT talking about plowed fields, either) including leaving iron junk either in the hole or next to it and even though a tarp makes the job easier with respect to putting the dirt back into the hole, it still is not a "leave no trace" proposition. So it is kind of a mystery to me people are still harping on this non issue in some remote out of the way site. Maybe I am just not understanding the context of the comment, so if that is the case, feel free to enlighten me and accept my apologies.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No....I was referring to the ones who were complaining about his dig spots in the video. You can't dig out a hut and make it look untouched as you would in a park or manicured lawn. Sorry for the confusion. I was simply stating that some relic hunting is just impossible to do the way you hunt parks and such....my point being that these guys would have a cow if they were to see a pit or trash pit dug out at a DIV.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No....I was referring to the ones who were complaining about his dig spots in the video. You can't dig out a hut and make it look untouched as you would in a park or manicured lawn. Sorry for the confusion. I was simply stating that some relic hunting is just impossible to do the way you hunt parks and such....my point being that these guys would have a cow if they were to see a pit or trash pit dug out at a DIV.

Then we were exactly on the same page. Thanks for clarifying. I thought I might have gotten it confused so I put my disclaimer in. Glad I did. Hoping to make a mess down in Brandy in a few weeks. LOL.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Just what I thought excuses instead of manning up and treating peoples property with respect. As you watch the video you can see holes all over the grounds. What ever happened to leaving people's property as good or better than you found it? This is the exact reason people are banned from metal detecting in Municipalities and on private property. What happened to the metal detecting "Code Of Ethics"? It does not matter if you in a field, Park or someone's yard this is unexcusable.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok detector cowboy you have a invite and you can police or digging practices...:laughing7: … One question though … have you ever relic hunted in a field or woods? I have had tons of permissions and have never been kicked out for digging practices...

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a guy come up to me and start griping about the holes in the ground all over the place. I calmly got up and showed him where my holes actually were and they were not very obvious. Then I showed him the difference between a man mad hole like mine and one made by an armadillo that was digging for worms. Another time, in a very pristine place a few months back, I got accused of trashing a very large area. Fortunately one of the members of the facility stood up for me and told them that he would like to see an old crippled man make such a mess as that and besides, any fool could see the hog sign everywhere between hoof prints and droppings. Most of the places that I hunt have dillo damage but regardless I do my best to make my holes look decent. If I am out in the woods, I fill them back in of course but I don't worry about getting them so pretty, no need to but they get filled back in. When I have little kids digging, I usually wait until they are through digging and then go back and fill them all, it is just fun to see what they have done with their energy. I have filled numerous holes left by someone else that hunted and left their holes all open. it is easy to arm chair condemn someone when you weren't there to see what they did or didn't do afterwards. I also have had people tell me not to worry about how well I filled them because of the nature of the property. Heck the critters can do more damage and do.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is not a good hole ?

mine-hole.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just kidding... I never go THAT deep.. sheessh... I mean come on...

This is more me...

SandHole.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My motto is... I don't care what you dig with or how...

Just so long as its pretty much the same as when I leave... and when I say "pretty much" I mean almost undetectable if possible.

I want to be the only one that it can be seen by easily.... everyone else would have to look... especially the average person who does not detect.

EVEN in the woods... one should ALWAYS fill holes and make it "whole" again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread