Possible Iron check method

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the morning off today and hit a park ballfield. Pretty unproductive day in the field but I was playing around with some settings while getting suspected iron falsing. I have seen many suggesting a 10khz check on a suspected nail ect but today I tried a few different ones and 40khz was spot on iron signal while multi and 10khz were peeping out some fairly repeatable high tones. Just something I wanted to pass along to give a shot. Why not?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coil were you using and with update or pre-update?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
This would make perfect sense as higher frequencies hit well on low conductors.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your must surely be mistaken. Everybody knows that the Box obseldted all single frequency dedicators - including a Nox at 40 kHz single freq.! lol

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your must surely be mistaken. Everybody knows that the Box obseldted all single frequency dedicators - including a Nox at 40 kHz single freq.! lol

Lol!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much appreciated tip I didn’t know that. Now do you think it would work with silver mixed in iron?

I honestly don't know but I played around with 5khz and the VDI's were completely different than multi for various items.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same today but tried 5 khz and it worked for a couple dime targets i tried it on. I thought lower khz is better on silver.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FASCINATING finding, HighVDI. I am going to play with this next time I am out, and I hit a few targets that are hovering, in my mind, somewhere between "likely iron false" and "possible coin mixed in with iron."

Steve

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK just so I understand, while detecting in say Field 2, multi tone, if I suspect more iron than not, meaning a little high pitch along with iron tone, I can change to 40Khz to perhaps check for certain, or pretty certain, but my real question is when I return to multi tone, I do NOT need to re- do noise cancel or another ground balance? which would be swell. If I seem a little dull minded in getting this, well...….but I do get some helpful tips from you fella's on the EQ.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you dont have to redo all the noise cancel/GB. The best way to set it up is to put the single frequency program in the User Profile slot (if you have an 800) so you can easily switch to it while interrogating a target.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this. Any feedback?

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was able to get mine out today at an iron infested site. I am very impressed with this machine. "Hunted it out" with AT Pro and 5x8 coil. Nox pulled lots of targets out of the iron. Had about 10 holes with square nails that still gave chirps in the 20's with multi and iron bias 3. Switching to 40khz caused the VDI numbers to drop somewhere between 11 and 1. I also noticed that most big iron showed up 15-16 and always pinpointed about 12" from where I was getting the signal. Halo I guess?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread