Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent question. My XP Deus machine and my Tesoros LOVE icy ground.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Equinox in frozen ground last march/april when I first got it and it seemed to do fine although I was pretty new with it then. I dont know how cold it was maybe in the 40s. The problem wasnt the detector but digging the target, its like chipping away ice and you better hope you dont find anything valuable or interesting because you will most likely destroy it.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
should do better than being left in a hot vehicle too long

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Worked fine here in NH with about 2” layer of frozen ground this week. Sad we’re under 6” of new snow now. Depression has set in.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett kills it in Mich winters yours should do well also Im sure

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the Equinox manual (p. 65) the minimum operating temperature is 14F. Note also, that charging the battery is NOT recommended below 32F, so if you rigged up your detector with an external power pack on the stem to enable charging the detector while on-the-go, do not connect the battery pack to the Equinox if the air temp is less than 32 otherwise the chemical reaction in the battery during charging will go awry and you will permanently/prematurely lose battery capacity.

In contrast the Garrett AT Max manual says to avoid using the detector in sub freezing temps, but I have seen plenty of folks using it in the snow and obvious sub freezing situations and it seems to do just fine. It also uses alkanes or NiMH AA rechargeables which have a lower capacity in cold conditions but do not suffer from the issue regarding cold temp charging from both a chemical standpoint and because Garrett doesn't support on-the-go charging.

Last edited:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Below about 30, your lithium battery wont fair well at all. It wouldn't be healthy for it ether.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below about 30, your lithium battery wont fair well at all. It wouldn't be healthy for it ether.

All types of batteries lose capacity and maximum power capability when operated in cold conditions but they all also self-heat through resistive heating. A lithium ion battery can be safely operated down to -40F similar to NiCads, so there is nothing special about operating Li Ion cells in cold weather vs. other battery types in this regard. Although, I agree operating all batteries in extreme temps hot or cold should be avoided, if possible. The only issue with Lithium Ion batteries in cold weather is attempting to conduct a charge with the temperature below 32F as I previously mentioned.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures and https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

As far as lithium ion battery service life (how long battery can be recharged and maintain most of its maximum capacity) and temperature - the following article states that lithium ion batteries tend to retain a longer service life given the same number of charge/discharge cycles, if they are operated in colder vice warmer temperatures, though the minimum temperature reference is 0C (32F).

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I'm saying is: it wouldn't be healthy for his permanently installed lithium battery. I agree with a2coins. Put you equinox away, and pop a set of Duracells in your old Garrettt, and dont let it be a worry.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'm saying is: it wouldn't be healthy for his permanently installed lithium battery. I agree with a2coins. Put you equinox away, and pop a set of Duracells in your old Garrettt, and dont let it be a worry.

And all I am saying is that I would go with confidence with whatever is my best detector is down to the operating limit specified by the manufacturer no matter what type of battery it uses.

Regarding the Equinox, the battery is actually user replaceable with a commonly available lithium cell type and not permanently installed and is warranted for factory replacement up to 1 year as long it is operated per the manual which includes operation down to 14F. Point taken though, popping in some duracells is a lot easier.

Also, I think I would have my head examined if I was out detecting somewhere with the temp much below 15F, lol, but I have been close, right Smokey?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcmich

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Its either this 2.PNG or that 1.PNG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread