Any opinions on the 15”?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I like it. Only adds 5oz of additional weight, 15" swing coverage, and slightly more depth than the stock. Still pinpoints and separates well even compared to stock.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't had the chance to use it on wet sand yet but I don't see why that would make a difference in the attributes I mentioned. What am I missing, Truth?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you have lost faith in the 6", because of iron falsing?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you have lost faith in the 6", because of iron falsing?

Not really lost faith I’ll was running my sensitivity 23 turning to down helps, but yes I was having problems. Another thing it small I’d only use it in our tight woods.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't had the chance to use it on wet sand yet but I don't see why that would make a difference in the attributes I mentioned. What am I missing, Truth?

You? Miss something no way. I just don’t beach hunt and didn’t know if you where taken beach or not,

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 6" is falsing, surely Minelab should fix it?

I was hugely looking forward to the 6" coil, but if it doesn't work properly then i think I'll keep my money.

Matt.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You? Miss something no way. I just don’t beach hunt and didn’t know if you where taken beach or not,

I was relic hunting in Virginia.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I personally use my 6" coil the most after getting it. The six inch, for it's size, is amazing at the coverage it gives. Add the separation and it is hard to take off once it's on. I feel I don't have to overlap intensely like small coils on my other detectors.

I suspect that the 15" will be beyond the point of diminishing returns, but I am following the threads on the 15. Thing is, if the 11" stock coil is as good as it is, and the 6" finds missed stuff that the 11" skipped over, then I can't see the 15" investment, at least in my local area, for coin and jewelry.

I once read that a 13" coil size hits the limit for depth. Who knows though. The Equinox has already surpassed my expectations.

I am waiting on an 8" coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally use my 6" coil the most after getting it. The six inch, for it's size, is amazing at the coverage it gives. Add the separation and it is hard to take off once it's on. I feel I don't have to overlap intensely like small coils on my other detectors.

I suspect that the 15" will be beyond the point of diminishing returns, but I am following the threads on the 15. Thing is, if the 11" stock coil is as good as it is, and the 6" finds missed stuff that the 11" skipped over, then I can't see the 15" investment, at least in my local area, for coin and jewelry.

I once read that a 13" coil size hits the limit for depth. Who knows though. The Equinox has already surpassed my expectations.

I am waiting on an 8" coil.

The "15-inch" coil is actually a 15x12" elliptical so it has the depth of a 12" coil (slightly better actually) and the swing coverage of a 15" coil.

So if you are in a large field or trying to cover an expansive beach you don't have to tiptoe around the site to ensure coverage like you would have to do with the 6". That is, you can step forward in 15" increments instead of 6" increments to ensure swing coverage.

The 6" drives me nuts if I am trying to cover more than a curb strip sized patch of ground. 6" is killer for working around impediments like playground equipment, fence posts or cornstalks and other vegetation or in small patces of thick iron. Fuggetabboutit in large fields or beaches.

Bottom line, it's more about coverage than depth with the 15" coil with the kicker being you only take about a 5oz weight penalty vs. the stock coil to get an additional 4" of swing coverage and a tad more depth and it still separates and finds the small stuff about as well as the 11" coil. Huge time saver when covering large areas.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I can just find someone who has it in stock and for sale...........

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where I just got mine. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the 15 inch today and I absolutely love it. It didn’t wear out my arm a fantastic job on separation and I was getting deep. Those are the reasons why I bought it and I don’t want to take it off.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got the 15” from Bart and I’m surprised it’s so lightweight. I think it’s going to be a great season. Look out Rolex!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread