"dig em all" is this rule now obsolete with equinox

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the bottom line: You cannot ABSOLUTELY trust any VDI, ANY machine, EVER. 100% faith in a VDI is folly. There are just too many variables in the equation. I sincerely doubt in my lifetime ANY machine will let you know what you have before you dig it. And please send me your coordinates to dig sites if you totally rely on the VDI or any given machine. I'll gladly clean out the rest of the stuff you left. (no not really, but that's the reality of it.)

Well that depends.. how old are you? Your lifetime could be very diff than the rest of ours.. so we can still hope :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My new equinox comes in the mail tomorrow, but in the places I hunt I am pretty sure I will dig everything. Most of my hunting will be on Padre Island in South Texas (not on the national seashore, of course.) There's a lot of trash that washes up or gets dropped by tourists. When I was a kid my sister and I were digging in the sand and I sliced my hand open on a buried beer can. So, if in the course of my treasure hunting, I can remove a little trash and keep some other kid from getting cut it's totally worth it. I've also found a few syringes out there.

Sand is different than dirt,of course, so I may not do that in parks/fields etc... With soft sand, even if it's buried, doesn't mean someone won't cut themselves on some rusty metal.

Good luck with the new Equinox HoboFett. Gloves are good idea for those sharp objects.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amergin, what a great question you've asked and fellow Tneters what great answers you've offered!!

My "Old 6000D" was a good machine that became better after I purchased a set of setup techniques for it. With all the knobs and switches labeled and when following the process of changing the settings in the proper order I knew what was in the ground before I pulled the target from the ground. At least, most of the time. Even then I still dug most signals till I learned to trust the machine. So a machine can get pretty close to 100%. Point here practice a lot, learn your machine as it will pay off in the long run!

I found my first gold ring under a sidewalk tearout but thought it was a bottle cap, dug it anyway. Then I had this iffy signal and not far away was a really good signal, again I dug them both. One (the good signal) was a sterling silver Mickey Mouse ring. The other (iffy signal) was also a ring but aluminum and it says "Sharp Shooter" across the top of it and one side was cracked. Guess which one the collector offered me the most money for? Right the sharp shooter ring. (Note: I still have both of them)
PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG

Point here is even a 'iffy' target made of junk metal can be valuable.

My first gold was the ring at the sidewalk tearout. My second gold was a gold tooth crown and I found it back in the day Before people started digging plugs in lawns. I used a brass probe to locate targets (did not have a pin pointer back then) but this yard had a lot of pea gravel making if very hard to locate that tooth but I finally did. Point here is to learn to pinpoint with your coil as it really helps to have the target centered under the coil and to jam a wooden stick into the center point by just slipping your open coil a little to one side.

You will always be thrown off by the brass water faucet, etc. Like has been said already if you are not finding nickels your are missing Gold. With my 6000D I would run it in simplest all metal tone and then step down slowly into the various filter ranges, you should be able to do this with your 800 if you feel like it. Point here is learn at which setting (or combination of settings) your machine just rejects the good stuff.

No matter what, have fun, enjoy yourself out there as even being in your own yard seriously listening to the sounds from the earphones means you are tuned out to the world around you so you are relaxed.............63bkpkr

Then of course, especially with the 6" coil, your 800 should pick up gold in mineralized ground, gold like this:

185_8515.JPG That's about 1/4 oz of gold flakes (pickers) I found with my GMT, your 800 should pick them out easily, umm after you learn how.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkkr, you nailed it too. Just go have fun. It's pointless to wonder what the other guy got.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkkr, you nailed it too. Just go have fun. It's pointless to wonder what the other guy got.

Very true Smokey, dig it all is OK if you can, but in some places the body parts just will not take it anymore. Of course much depends on the site, what your looking for etc. etc. If I find something good that day, GREAT, if not, well, not the first time, sometimes I think I've tried TOO hard, other times just to go and swing a coil for a while, BINGO. As you said, "Just go have fun. It's pointless to wonder what the other guy got"...….With that I'll add, " Just take your time and let the OTHER guy wonder what YOU got."

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, love to get into the geek stuff on the forums. But in the field, I'm just glad I'm in the field and try to enjoy the moment and not overthink it.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig em all.Even if there is no signal:tongue3:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I dig about 90%. The other 10 % have been silver quarters, SLH's, gold rings, Breast plates etc.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread