Prototype Equinox complete shaft, ASSEMBLED! (Pictures)

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking CF shaft assembly for the Nox. I bought your CF lower for my 6" coil and like it very much. Will be getting a CF shaft for my 800 from you as well. I'm most interested in its collapsibility, as I mentioned before. Thats one feature the Deus has all over the Minelab detectors, their compactness when collapsed......you can slide the entire unit into a backpack.
Thanks for the nice work & product.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger Pop --

Thanks for the kind words! Parts have been ordered, and are in production. I'm still targeting a roughly "mid-January" time frame for the arrival of those parts, and then a short time for me to perform assembly, and I'll have that first batch of shafts ready for sale...

ctdirtdigger --

You are welcome! I'm really glad you are pleased with the lower rod!

Yes, several folks seem to be interested in the "collapsibility" of the shaft. I'm hoping you will be pleased with it, in that regard.

I will say one other thing here, in regards to "collapsibility;" if you are someone interested in greatest capability for full collapsibility of the shaft, please read this rather long-winded explanation, as you may find it useful...

It is POSSIBLE, for me to custom-build an even more "collapsible" version of the shaft.

But, it would require two things...

1. It would require a willingness for a customer to "wait" for a custom build, as I would have to "special order" different-length carbon-fiber tubes for the upper and lower shaft to permit this custom build (which would also add some cost to the shaft)...

but more importantly...

2. It would require a willingness for a customer to "file down" a little "nipple" that exists on the bottom of the EQX control-box handle.

This nipple, that I describe, fits through a hole in the shaft and protrudes into the shaft; Minelab included that nipple to help to prevent any possibility of the handle "becoming loose" and "turning" on the shaft.

BUT -- the negative is, that nipple ALSO prevents the possibility for FULL collapsibility of a shaft system -- because it acts to limit how far the lower rod can slide into the upper, before hitting that nipple.

Now, IF an EQX user were willing to file that nipple down, leaving roughly 2 mm of it remaining, that 2mm would still prevent the possibility of the handle turning on the shaft. Because, with the "wall" of the shaft tube being 2mm thick, a 2mm-long nipple would protrude into the hole enough to prevent the handle from "spinning" on the shaft, but not so much as to protrude INTO the inner diameter of the shaft. AS SUCH, a lower rod could then slide ALL THE WAY into the upper -- past the nipple, and all the way back to the arm cuff through bolt.

What that would mean, then, is that I could do a custom build now, where I could shorten the upper shaft, and lengthen the lower rod by a similar amount. And what that would then mean, is that instead of a relatively long (roughly 35") upper, and then only a short (14" to 18" or so) length of lower rod extending out from the upper, I could make a shorter upper, and a longer lower -- thus resulting in a shorter "fully collapsed" length of the shaft system.

Along these lines, I just did some measuring/figuring.

Maximum shaft extension permitted right now, on the EQX stock shaft, i.e. using the lowest middle-rod button hole, yields 55 1/2" total shaft length, from butt-end of the upper, to the bottom of the lower rod. So let's assume that I want to allow that same maximum extension length. Let's further assume that 3 1/2" or so is about the minimum amount of "lower rod" that I feel is reasonable to be "left remaining" in the upper shaft, when fully extended (for stability's sake).

Using these assumptions, what I measure/calculate is that I could build a 30" upper, and a 29" lower. If I did this, this shaft would allow the same 55 1/2" maximum extension length, BUT -- with the ability to now collapse this lower rod much farther up into the upper shaft, PAST that "nipple" on the handle, and all the way to the arm cuff through bolt, a much shorter "fully collapsed" length could be achieved. Even if an EQX user utilized the LOWEST cuff adjustment hole (the one nearest the control box), you could still collapse the lower rod into the upper (on this hypothetical "custom" shaft) such that only 3" or so of lower rod was protruding from the upper -- resulting in a total collapsed length of only 33" (from butt end to the end of the lower rod).

Please keep in mind, this assumes a shaft that permits the LONGEST lower rod position as currently allowed by the Minelab shaft (55 1/2" maximum shaft extension), AND the "closest-to-the-handle" arm cuff position.

But, this is not the way MOST people would ever adjust their EQX shaft (lower rod FULLY extended, and arm cuff as far forward as it will go). Reason being, anyone needing the LONGEST lower rod adjustment is probably relatively tall, and as such, they would likely NOT be using the EQX arm cuff adjusted to the "most forward" position.

Take me, for example. At 6' 2" tall, I used the second-farthest-back bolt hole for the arm cuff, and I use the fourth button hole from the bottom of the Minelab middle rod, for a total shaft extension length of about 51". So, if I were to custom-build a shaft system for myself, with the focus on getting as short of a "collapsible" length as possible, I could do a 28" upper, and a 27" lower. With these lengths for the upper and lower, and because I use the second-farthest-back arm cuff position, then in this case, all but roughly 1 1/2" of that 27" lower rod would fit inside the upper -- leaving me a fully collapsed length of only 29 1/2".

My point here is, many folks are not concerned about exactly how small they can collapse the shaft, and thus the limitation in shaft collapsibility forced by that "handle nipple" is of little concern. Thus -- the roughly 34 1/2" upper, and 26" lower, that is my "standard design," is a design that will work very well for a majority of people, and is the simplest to do, from a shaft-building perspective.

HOWEVER, customization of the shaft is an option, for individual users who require the shortest collapsible length of the shaft that is possible. It would cost more to do this custom job, mainly because I'd have to special-order tubes in lengths other than what I customarily order them in, but it is entirely do-able (IF that "handle nipple" were filed down...)

Just some long-winded thoughts to throw out there, for anyone interested...

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the collapsible shaft option, I am wondering if there is a shaft adapter that can be used to adapt and securely affix the control head to the shaft without having to permanently alter the existing lower mounting bracket which precludes it from being re-used on the legacy shaft.

Example here: https://md-hunter.com/minelab-equinox-shaft-adapter-another-shaft/

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! You are at the very top of my "wait list," HighVDI! It won't be much longer, I am certain! ;)

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari -- very interesting idea! Yes, some sort of adapter like that would effectively "lift" the bottom of the handle "away from" the shaft, and thus that nipple on the bottom of the shaft would likely not penetrate into the inside of the upper shaft AT ALL. And then, this fully collapsible shaft style that I mentioned above could be built without any "filing down" of that nipple...

VERY interesting! If anyone wanted to utilize an adapter like that, and asked me to then build them a custom, fully-collapsible shaft, I would then be able to do so (the largest barrier to such a shaft having been removed...)

Thanks, vferrari!

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari -- very interesting idea! Yes, some sort of adapter like that would effectively "lift" the bottom of the handle "away from" the shaft, and thus that nipple on the bottom of the shaft would likely not penetrate into the inside of the upper shaft AT ALL. And then, this fully collapsible shaft style that I mentioned above could be built without any "filing down" of that nipple...

VERY interesting! If anyone wanted to utilize an adapter like that, and asked me to then build them a custom, fully-collapsible shaft, I would then be able to do so (the largest barrier to such a shaft having been removed...)

Thanks, vferrari!

Steve

Problem is, I haven't found any adapters like that for purchase yet (the metallic motorcycle bar brackets look sturdy but also heavy). Was hoping you might be able to innovative something similar. Looks like a 3D printer would come in handy for that widget.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the main upper shaft was smaller in diameter, the size of the lower rod, then you could just slide the standard size over the upper just down to the display mount to cover the proper diameter for arm cuff and display. Then use a smaller diameter lower .. the double thickness of the upper should eliminate the button on bottom of display pod to clear lower retracting into upper.. not practical though

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem is, I haven't found any adapters like that for purchase yet (the metallic motorcycle bar brackets look sturdy but also heavy). Was hoping you might be able to innovative something similar. Looks like a 3D printer would come in handy for that widget.

vferrari --

I think I probably could "innovate" something. And yes, indeed, a 3-D printer would be a really good option for producing this type of piece.

But, since I don't have access to a 3-D printer, I'd have to have any such part produced by my manufacturers who fabricate my other parts. And the issue there is, of course, cost. Unless I'd have several folks wanting to go this route, it would be an expensive part to produce on a "one here, one there" basis; as with all these parts, the more you purchase, the cheaper the per-part price. There are two reasons for that -- shipping, which is much cheaper when it gets spread out over many, instead of just one; but more than that is the cost for the manufacturer to set up the machinery (CNC routers, etc.) to make just ONE part. Setting everything up for just ONE part is expensive...but when you produce many parts using those same machinery settings, the parts get less expensive, the more you have produced. So, I'd really need to produce quite a few of such "adapters," to make it cost-effective.

BUT -- if there are enough folks really desiring the "as small as I can possibly collapse it" shaft option, then it would be something I could consider pursuing...

It's an interesting idea...

Steve

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replying to this thread so i can find this later, when I'm ready to get the shaft :laughing7:

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

Yep, that would probably do it, but like you said, not as practical as just making an adapter.

The adapter really wouldn't be that hard to design. I could do it pretty easily. Four screws -- the same screw that the EQX handle uses but roughly 1/4" longer, and then an adapter designed to be about 1/4" in thickness/height, would do the trick. That would keep the nipple from penetrating into the shaft, and so -- problem solved. Again, it's just a cost issue.

If there were enough people expressing interest in this, it could be done. Right now, my "standard" shaft will collapse down to roughly 39" (when measured from butt-end to bottom of the lower rod). Obviously, folding the coil "flat," parallel to the rod, would also add just shy of half the diameter of the coil to that length; in the case of the 11" coil installed, and folded flat, the total length of my shaft, collapsed, is about 44".

You could reduce this by 6" to 10" (depending upon individual customer specifications), with a "fully collapsible" shaft, through elimination of the "nipple issue" -- either via the adapter being discussed, or by filing it down, as I mentioned earlier. And if that 6" to 10" of reduction in collapsed length is important to enough people, I'll do some sketching/designing of an adapter...

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shakakka --

Thanks for your interest!

Send me a PM, if you are interested, and I can get you some "contact information" for me, so that it's easier for you to reach me if/when you need to... :)

Thanks!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, all!

Just a quick update. Things are proceeding "nearly" on schedule; I expect shafts to begin shipping within the next 14 days. Some production progress has already occurred, with the rest of the shaft-building process to occur once the remainder of the parts arrive next week.

If you have mentioned interest in the past, please expect contact from me soon, so I can provide detailed information, and "shore up" my wait list. If you haven't contacted me in the past, and are interested, please let me know and I can put you on my "need to contact" list.

I am REALLY pleased with how the project has turned out! I think folks are going to really like these shafts!

THANKS!

Steve

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and an old Whites 6000di.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear! I’ll be ordering a complete shaft plus two additional lowers and the counterweight. When are you accepting payments?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tomtom --

Thanks for your reply, and your interest! I try to make it a rule that I don't accept payments until I have the items ready to ship to you; I don't like folks to part with their money any earlier than necessary!

However, I have your interest noted, and you'll be hearing from me soon.

THANKS!

Steve

tomtom

Greenie
Apr 10, 2013
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and an old Whites 6000di.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds good! Looking forward to it!

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the shaft come with a new metal arm cuff or is that an extra?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rasco, the arm cuff is an extra/optional accessory. Jeff Herke has provided a limited number of arm cuffs for my shafts, and they come directly from him. With my "standard" shaft, the "default" is to use the Minelab cuff; my shaft is designed to accept the Minelab cuff.

Steve

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rasco, the arm cuff is an extra/optional accessory. Jeff Herke has provided a limited number of arm cuffs for my shafts, and they come directly from him. With my "standard" shaft, the "default" is to use the Minelab cuff; my shaft is designed to accept the Minelab cuff.

Steve

I figured you could still use the stock cuff but for those of us who water hunt or use the bigger coil, will break the stock one sooner then later. How much is your whole setup? Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread