Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my "new to me" Equinox 600 a couple of days ago. I went through the firmware upgrade and spent yesterday just going through the manual and getting familiar with all of the menus and options. Two previous owners since June, and neither owner applied the upgrade. I’m not sure they even knew the upgrade was available, which might be why I got it in like-new condition, and for a very attractive price.

Anyway, today was 29F at noon, but it felt like 38F because the sun was out without a cloud in the sky...a day made for detecting a new school property for me. I took along my familiar AT Max as a backup, but never needed to go fetch it. The Equinox performed flawlessly, and seemed to relish in the fact that it was being turned into a muddy mess with each new plug that was dug. After four hours of playing in the snow & mud, and digging around sixty targets, the Nox and other toys were in need of a shower.

Everything has had a bath, and the Nox is resting comfortably, awaiting it’s next adventure this week as the temps climb into the upper 30’s...a veritable heatwave.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get to know her and she'll show you lots more! Nice first hunt with her! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna take her in the mud, better get her a nice foul weather cover! I have a nylon/clear plastic cover to keep the mud off my machine's face. Can't see the control buttons on the sides, but you easily learn where they are.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work with the new machine. Congrats on the finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna take her in the mud, better get her a nice foul weather cover! I have a nylon/clear plastic cover to keep the mud off my machine's face. Can't see the control buttons on the sides, but you easily learn where they are.

Where did you get the cover? I’d like to get one.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new 600 and your first successful hunt with her.

I don't see any nickels in your pic. Remember, the Nox is a nickel hound. Watch your mid-tones and especially watch for VDI #'s 12/13. This will give you your buffs and V's.

I run my 600 aggressively..... Park 2, 50 tones, AM, 3 rec speed, 22 sens, O IB. You'll get use to the bombardment of the tones.

Good luck out there and thanx for sharing.

OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new 600 and your first successful hunt with her.

I don't see any nickels in your pic. Remember, the Nox is a nickel hound. Watch your mid-tones and especially watch for VDI #'s 12/13. This will give you your buffs and V's.

I run my 600 aggressively..... Park 2, 50 tones, AM, 3 rec speed, 22 sens, O IB. You'll get use to the bombardment of the tones.

Good luck out there and thanx for sharing.

Being my first time using the machine, I made a "cheat sheet" with the numbers on it...AND FORGOT IT ON THE COUNTER!! :BangHead: I was relying on my memory and thought nickels were 15...so much for my 68 year old memory. I kept digging can slaw in the 14-16 range, and eventually just passed the rest over. FWIW, I’ll bet I ignored a couple dozen 12-13 targets, thinking they were trash targets...duhhhh! :dontknow:

Experience is the best teacher. Now I have something to look forward to when I go back to the site.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard core! We turn the heater on when it hits 69 degrees here in SoCal lol. Looks like you had an awesome hunt Joe. Keep up the good work. You’ll be pulling out that 5 and Twenty dollar gold coin in no time.
Best of luck!
Rusty

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get the cover? I’d like to get one.

Ebay, here's the link. Fits well, American made. https://ebay.us/p83TsA Even though the Noxes are waterproof, mud and dirt can still scratch the face of the control panel so I like the covers to keep a clean machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay, here's the link. Fits well, American made. https://ebay.us/p83TsA Even though the Noxes are waterproof, mud and dirt can still scratch the face of the control panel so I like the covers to keep a clean machine.

After looking at the cover on eBay, I went to Walmart and bought 1/2 yard of heavy clear vinyl for $1.99. I already has a partial bolt of 1000D ballistic nylon, so I just started measuring, cutting and sewing on my old Singer 15-91 that I use to make fly rod bags, fishing reel covers and zippered bags for storing stuff in my truck. I’m retired, so my time is free, and besides that, it was raining this morning.

Another one of my hobbies is rebuilding and refinishing pre 1960 Singer sewing machines. It funds some of my other hobbies when I resell them, and keeps me in good sewing machines for projects. The wife likes that I can sew, because it’s something she’s never wanted to do.

Below is a shot of the sewing shop, machine shop with metal lathe, and you can see the chronograph for the 12 yard indoor pellet gun range. I shoot across the top of everything else.:laughing7:

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome job on the cover Joe! You could sell those covers. Wow your shop looks organized. Mine is a total mess.

OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job on the cover Joe! You could sell those covers. Wow your shop looks organized. Mine is a total mess.[/QUOTE

It’s organized chaos...but I know where everything is at!:headbang::laughing7:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Oh man I can do so much with Forum "titles" like these...but nice finds..wtg!!!

OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I can do so much with Forum "titles" like these...but nice finds..wtg!!!

When you get old, you sometimes have to make your own fun. :headbang::headbang::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread