Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 600 or 800 ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    5986 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by saanich2018 View Post

Severely disappointed. Looked and looked but the 800 was not under tree yesterday.
    Guess Santa did not get my letter and now I will have to buy it myself!
    Sorry to read Santa lost your letter! He didn’t get my letter asking for the large coil either.
    SD51 likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    706 times
    Relic Hunting
    800 no doubt. the extra settings will allow you to really fine tune your 800 according to the type of sites you are hunting. As the other poster said, you will always wonder about the usefulness of those extra settings.
    Keep in mind the 800 can be a steep learning curve depending on your level of prior metal detecting knowledge and experience. If you have used in the past a sophisticated digital detector then it is a less steep learning curve for you. I came from 3 years using an AT Pro and the 800 was a pretty steep learning curve for me. I was kind of shocked at the difference in complexity between the two detectors. Thanks to vferrari and other posters and a couple of Clive Clynick books on the Equinox I have learned more in the past 8 months that the past 8 years about metal detecting and your more advanced detectors.

If you like to learn and get the best out of your detector then the 800 is for you. If you are satisfied with a very good detector and wish to just punch up your favorite mode and go and on a tighter budget then the 600 is probably a safe choice.
    SD51 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    16654 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Gonna wait till mid year. Just in case.
    SD51 likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18370 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Get the 800.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    5630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rook3434 View Post
    Gonna wait till mid year. Just in case.
    Just in case?
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Jason

Jan 2019
    Southeast indiana
    Minelab equinox, at pro, tesoro vaquero
    28 times
    I have both and i can tell u where i live the 600 is just as capable as the 800
    RustyGold, dsdigger and sandmartin like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    787 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Go with the 800, I have both and rarely use my 600 unless the batteries are low on the 800. The wireless headphones come with the 800 plus a gold feature if you happen to go into gold country and detect. You can use wireless headphones with the 600 but it don't come with them
    ripvanb and HighVDI like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    131 times
    On the 800, does the beach mode detect gold?
    If not can you use the gold mode on the beach?

I read about people finding gold rings, etc on the beach, so what mode are they using?

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1090 times
    600 OR 800?

YES!
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    5630 times
    On the 800, does the beach mode detect gold?
    If not can you use the gold mode on the beach?

I read about people finding gold rings, etc on the beach, so what mode are they using?
    Yes, Beach mode detects gold but has to balance detector stability against a salt ground reference which does not make it a good for gold detecting other than wet salt beach conditions where you really have no other mode choice if you want to run the detector stable. Gold mode is the least stable mode under wet salt conditions and typically cannot be used on wet salt sand or in salt water. Neither can the other non-beach modes, typically, though you may get Park 1 or Field 1 to marginally behave depending on the salinity concentrations in the wet sand., but not worth the trip if you are only barely able to maintain stability. (BTW, detector instability manifests itself as noisy, chatty machine with unstable target IDs)

Just use the guidance in the Equinox manual. Beach 1 for dry and wet salt sand beach detecting and Beach 2 in the surf and salt water. Gold mode as well as the other modes are typically stable on the dry sand at salt beaches but YMMV. You are probably fine just sticking with beach 1 in the dry sand, especially if you can crank sensitivity while keeping the machine stable. But if you want a little extra depth on high conductors (silver, copper, and clad coinage) you can try Park 1 on the dry sand or Park 2 or one of the Gold modes if focused on gold jewelry.

Note that Gold mode is really designed for gold nugget prospecting and uses VCO pitch type audio that only alerts you to the proximity of a target and contains no tone target ID information, unlike the other modes (though visual target ID information still displays on the screen), so it is like a completely different detector vs. the tone ID modes (Park 1/2, Field 1/2, and Beach 1/2).
    Last edited by vferrari; Jan 09, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
    sandmartin likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3534 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Normsel View Post
    Go with the 800, I have both and rarely use my 600 unless the batteries are low on the 800. The wireless headphones come with the 800 plus a gold feature if you happen to go into gold country and detect. You can use wireless headphones with the 600 but it don't come with them
    Same here. I've only used the 600 1 time. I bought for the wife for her once a year digging with me, lol.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    706 times
    Relic Hunting
    The thread vferrari references, is mine. I went through the same questions you are trying to answer, and have decided on the 800.

I am waiting to see if Santa got my list and hopefully, it will be under the tree on Christmas morning.

If not, I will buy the 800 myself!
    Pretty good when V references your thread.

Yeah, I vote 800. Had to sell my AT Pro to fit it into my budget. In my opinion 600 is just as good but as everyone has said, more options. But those more options up the learning curve a little. But learning them taught me a whole lot more about metal detecting and coils.
    Last edited by pulltabfelix; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: forgot something

us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    131 times
    Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 800 and the Garrett AT Pro pinpointer.

Now I will need everyones help on figuring out how to use it!
    Last edited by saanich2018; Jan 17, 2019 at 02:57 PM.

us
    Oct 2018
    NE Ohio
    Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett AT Max Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
    754 times
    Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 800 and the Garrett AT Pro pinpointer.

Now I will need everyones help on figuring out how to use it!
    If you haven’t already started, hit YouTube and start watching setup videos for the 800. There are a plethora of videos, and most of them are good. Once the machine arrived you’ll be ready to dig. IMO, it’s an easy machine to learn, and I’m new to the hobby.

HH
    Joe
    hbrown66 likes this.

us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    131 times
    Joe,

Don't know why, but had not even thought about YouTube!? I use it for so many other things.

Great idea. Thanks
    63bkpkr likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links