Should I contact Minelab about this coil or not? Is this Normal?

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate all the help and advice I've received here so far and now it is time to share some more pics and a description of the problems my eyes see.
I've only had this coil out on 2 hunts. 3 hrs at most on it. Always used the shabby coil cover. As many might remember from my other post about coil covers a lot of debris is getting under the cover. Well I think I know why now.

In this first picture it shows the epoxy on the opposite side of the coil wire connector. The epoxy coating here looks reasonable but it is much lower than the other side of the coil.
eq6coil1.jpg

In this picture there is a noticeable protrusion underneath it. I can only imagine that is the coil winding underneath. My 11" stock coil does not have this protrusion. It's very hard to see in the picture but it is there.
eq6coil2.jpg

This third picture shows scratches and as I've mentioned it has always had a coil cover on it for those 3 hrs of hunt time. It came like this. And as you can see, the epoxy fill is slightly below the coil body.
eq6coil3.jpg

This fourth picture below shows the other side of the coil. In this one you can see there is much more epoxy on this side of the coil. And more scratches. Scratches I didn't make.
eq6coil4.jpg

In this picture below there is what I see as a dimple in the epoxy. My other coil does NOT have this anywhere. It is perfect. This one on the other hand has uneven epoxy and imperfections all over it.
eq6coil5.jpg

And in this last picture, you can see the irregular surface. more.
eq6coil6.jpg

So with all this above to look at what do you think? Nothing to worry about at all? Or is it a defective epoxy seal job?
The difference in epoxy height explains why the coil cover does not work well. The cover is raised more on one side due to the uneven epoxy seal job. The dimples in certain areas are also "slack" in my opinion. That protrusion is also a bit concerning to me. And what is up with the scratches on it. I sure didn't use that coil without a cover. And I don't know if you can see it or not but the epoxy has a cracked look to it also on the surface.

Well that is all I have, and really would dislike sending it to Minelab and pay shipping if not needed only for them to send the same one back to me. So I'm here asking all of you what you think...

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the 6” Double D? Almost looks like the swelling I often see on fluorescent ballasts when they’re breaking down. IMO there's a problem there. Contact whomever you got the coil from and send them the pics. My guess they’ll just replace it and have you ship the defective one back.

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that the 6” Double D? Almost looks like the swelling I often see on fluorescent ballasts when they’re breaking down. IMO there's a problem there. Contact whomever you got the coil from and send them the pics. My guess they’ll just replace it and have you ship the defective one back.

Yes that is the 6" Double D. I think it's odd looking and that protrusion on the lower epoxy side is really concerning. Guessing here but I think the coil wire underneath that protrusion twisted during epoxy fill process. I wish the pictures were better but that was the best I could get. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Definitely not what I would expect from an otherwise well considered company. Looks like sloppy work to me. I would Email them and send them the pictures, and let us know their response.

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely not what I would expect from an otherwise well considered company. Looks like sloppy work to me. I would Email them and send them the pictures, and let us know their response.

10-4. I wanted to make sure it wasn't on my end and having new machine jitters. I will email them and attach the pictures.
Thank you for replying.

OP
OP
RobNC

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jamie at Minelab sent me an RMA today and UPS Label. Said "No" the coil should not look like that and it was not normal. They will send me out a replacement when they get this one back.
It seems there are indeed some quality control issues going on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread