Made the leap

Mar 5, 2019
Powhatan, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m fairly new to the metal detector world. I’ve been going for about a month now and decided it’s something I want to continue doing regularly since I enjoy it so much. I’ve been using an ace 300, and I’ve been pretty happy with it. Not a bad machine for the money, but I ordered the nox 800, and it should be here on Friday. I’ve been reading as much as I can about it, and it looks like it may take some getting used to. Either way, I’ll have fun tweaking it and hunting. I’m sure I’ll have some questions along the way, so I just wanted to “introduce” myself to the equinox forum. :icon_thumright:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Michigan and yes, ask any and all questions. There's great folks here with a ton of experience.

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations from a fellow leaper! I've received my Nox 800 within the past week, and loving it!

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. I'm new to metal detecting as well. It's alot of fun.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to both of you guys! Yea, I read up on these machines. Clive has a couple real informative books. I bought both of his books. Also, read these posts from the nox users. These guys have a lot of experience on this forum. I have a notebook so I can make notes and make an excel spreadsheet like I did for the CTX 3030. It just kinda helps me remember so when I get out there and start digging stuff up, I have my notes from these guys as well so it can sink in a little more. Enjoy that new machine!

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this hobby also and I am sure everyone here is sick of my questions.

However, I have found everyone here to be very nice and helpful with anything I ask and for offering advice.

Welcome

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia:skullflag:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you will be happy with it, just make sure that you get the correct protective film that is English for the face. save the others to cut and replace the upper portion of the film later. awesome machine, I up graded an AT GOLD for the 600 and am very happy.
at some point, we all have questions. congrats

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet from SoCal.
I liked my 800 so much I purchased the 600 as backup. My wife was a bit miffed. Lol!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Try to focus on the very subtle (but noticable) differences in the signals you get from all different targets. Try digging most signals until you get a decent grasp on that. The Vdi is compressed but very accurate considering. Using the audio, pinpoint strength+signal area and depth gauge.....then visual readout you should have a pretty good idea of what's under the coil in no time.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet Tommy

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby, the forum, and to Equinox. Now that you have decided metal detecting is for you by cutting your teeth on the capable Ace 300, you have made a great choice on selecting a detector that will accommodate you as you grow in skill and experience and is versatile enough to use under a variety of conditions and metal detecting adventures from beach to parks to mountains to deserts, coin shooting, relic hunting, and prospecting. Hang on to that Ace as backup or to help introduce a friend or family member to the hobby.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet from SoCal.
I liked my 800 so much I purchased the 600 as backup. My wife was a bit miffed. Lol!

Buying a 600 as a backup....Hmmmm. Got me thinking there Rusty.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls. Enjoy that nice machine.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from an ACE250 to the Nox 600. So very similar to
what you are doing. Here are some learning points:
-keep the sensitivity around 20, don’t be tempted to crank it up like you could with your ACE. Cranking the Nox will actually reduce your finds and at 20 you will still dig a deep dime.
-start out with mid range recovery speed. Cranking it to high speed is a difficult jump for ACE users
-stick with Park1, no Horseshoe until you can identify the good tones from the trash
-learn the good tones, lots more sounds coming out of the Nox VS the ACE and they come much faster. Your brain needs to be trained to filter out a lot of garbage noise and listen for the tones you are going for, most likely the really high squeaky ones. Cranking the volume helped me as well, with my ACE I could hang the headphones around my neck when hunting

You should be able to unbox, assemble, charge it then head to a park and start finding targets, but it will take a few hundred hours to fully make the transition and master it. Try not to get frustrated, it will take time. I’m still learning. Just my opinion.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying a 600 as a backup....Hmmmm. Got me thinking there Rusty.

Some of my buddies and I would get a new surfboard but in the same color so the wives wouldn’t know we just bought another one and I was hoping she wouldn’t see yet another detector. There’s no fooling the wife she sniffed it out immediately! Lol!
So I thought, ok, I’ll sell my Deus to offset costs and loaded it up for sale and my wife asked, “what are doing? Don’t sell your Deus. It’s not worth it!” So off the market it went. Lol!
Ah the freedom of marriage. It’s a great return on investment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread