Auto ground balance? Really deep signals?

Crush

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2019
Houston
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

Have had my Nox 800 for a month or so and am happy though I have had little luck. Still learning the machine.

Does anyone use auto ground rebalance while hunting? Is this recommended by you experts?

I have been to a few old sites here in Texas and am not having much luck besides from some clad and square nails. What are the best settings to reach deep signals? I think our soil sucks things down, especially for old town sites that are 100-150 years old.

Thank you for your advice! I love it here

Paolo

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knowing the type of soil mineralization and other factors in your search area, it's hard to give you an exact setting or even a mode in which to hunt. Generally speaking, to get max depth in mild conditions, you run the sensitivity up and turn the recovery speed down. And hunt with a slower sweep speed. If target separation is an issue, you may have to raise the recovery speed. Automatic ground balance is also fine in mild conditions. In nasty soil, you may have to use manual balance, rebalance frequently, and in some cases, reduce the sensitivity. If the site is paved with small iron, you may have to play with the iron bias setting also.

OP
OP
C

Crush

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2019
Houston
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our soil here in east Texas is muddy muck and not sure how that would classify =). I have been using Park1 and Park2 but will try what you recommend. Thank you!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park settings will gb for you that's what I use

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in P1 or P2 and the soil is not highly mineralized only Noise Canx, no ground balance is needed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even noise cancel is unnecessary unless you have some EMI. Doesn't hurt to do it though.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soil doesn't suck things down, soil simply accumulates over dropped items with time. If you are not finding older items it is because your coil hasn't passed over them not because they are too deep. Coins and most metal things usually only get deep if the area has been landscaped with added soil or silted over by river flooding. 90% of the colonial coins I have found have been less than 8" deep and a lot of them 4-6" deep. Soil does build up faster in the woods than lawns or fields, but your Nox should still hit objects if they are there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread