Initial thoughts on the Equinox 800 after my first outing with it

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first detector when I was 10 so I'm creeping up on 41 years of detecting with several different brands. I don't get to go out as much as I would like due to back issues, had to have one fusion two years ago. I'm not out of the game yet and always on the lookout for better tech.

The Equinox 800 grabbed my attention and looks like it will be a winner. I spent some time getting familiar with the setup before heading into the field, everything seems to be laid out well and pretty simple to navigate the programs and such. Once I actually got to use it at one of my test sites I was immediately impressed with how stable it runs in an area known for high EMI. There are some spots at that site where the EMI would about drive me nuts with other detectors but the Equinox ran like a champ. Overall it ran very quietly, and if I started to hear the slightest feedback I just would redo the noise cancel and settle it back down. This particular spot is very devoid of any non ferrous targets as I usually dig all but the smallest foil blips but I did locate a pocket of 18 turn of the century uniform buttons and a severely tilted 1910 V Nickel along with a few recently dropped clads.

I liked how easily I could make changes on the fly, particularly the recovery speed. I also liked the all metal button feature when evaluating targets. The screen layout is great with nice big numbers and adjustable backlight. I am used to a trigger style pinpoint so the push button lock on pinpoint will take a few times out getting used to. I thought the pinpoint was accurate. The unit is nice and light. There was no mistaking when I got a round target, it will just lock right on to it. The tilted V nickel gave a very quick double blip with a stable number, I was pretty confident it was an old nickel before digging it. What gave me a little trouble was two hook shaped iron items which ID'ed more in the non ferrous scale but gave slight ferrous tones too. I just wasn't sure so dug them just to make sure they weren't something good. I really like the cordless headphones, they will be especially nice for hunting in wooded areas. What I'm not a huge fan of is sealed rechargeable batteries but I can get used to that.

I am really looking forward to trying it out on the beaches both fresh and salt water. My F75 doesn't like the dry to wet sand transitions, the CZ's work great but in my opinion the technology is a bit dated and simply can't compete with the Equinox here in the target separation area. I think if Minelab would take some of the Equinox technology and placed it into a light non cumbersome unit that you could dive with they would have a real winner in that department.

Overall I am quite pleased with my purchase, it is like having several different detectors in your hand at once. You no longer have to choose which one detector you will use for the day, with a couple pushes of the buttons you can tailor it to what ever type of site you end up hunting.

Last edited:

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Very nice post! I agree...I'm loving the feeling of having ONE Do-it-all Detector that's waterproof, etc. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experince with the Nox! HH

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I’m hunting parks with fairly inert soil I get decent separation on coin ID. I have the same issue with overlap of the VID. I’ve had copper pennies that have up to a 30 VID. The only way I can tell they are a penny is the VID is jumpy. A lot of times the VID of a penny and dime are the same but the audio is different.

PennDirtDigger

Mar 10, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I’m hunting parks with fairly inert soil I get decent separation on coin ID. I have the same issue with overlap of the VID. I’ve had copper pennies that have up to a 30 VID. The only way I can tell they are a penny is the VID is jumpy. A lot of times the VID of a penny and dime are the same but the audio is different.

I get pennies at 17 thru 25 and dimes have been hitting 24,25 as well. Aaaand...A penny at 21 I almost passed up a few weeks ago turned out to be a Monster 16.80 gram 10k class ring. Dig all my friends, Dig all:occasion18:

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get pennies at 17 thru 25 and dimes have been hitting 24,25 as well. Aaaand...A penny at 21 I almost passed up a few weeks ago turned out to be a Monster 16.80 gram 10k class ring. Dig all my friends, Dig all:occasion18:

I tend to dig it all. I’ve had one junk ring at 21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread