Headed to the Beach

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as many of you know, this past spring I had many problems with my 800, since it was new, and eventually they replaced the entire head and coil.

Well, I have been busy with work and only have gotten to play with my 800 a few times this summer. However, i am headed to beach tomorrow for a week, so i am excited to see how it really works.

i will keep you informed!

Keep your fingers crossed and say a few prayers!

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck and Happy Hunting! I was at Destin FL last October and found quite a few items with my 800, rings, coins etc.. Plan on being back in October of this year with the 800.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and Happy Hunting! I was at Destin FL last October and found quite a few items with my 800, rings, coins etc.. Plan on being back in October of this year with the 800.

I will be at my condo, just east of Destin, in Seaside. I try to get over to Miramar beach at least once while down at the beach

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I love that area. Will probably retire there eventually. Just picked up metal detecting but will one day hit the sands at Inlet & Rosemary Beaches

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hope that you have a blast and find some awesome stuff.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just got back from the beach this evening
Unfortunately, I did not get to use my detector as much as I would have liked. As you can see from the attached image, I managed to break my hand before my trip! :BangHead:
So I was having to try to did everything one handed, which believe is not easy. It really slows you down!

Anyway, I did find some stuff, mainly junk. There was one silver bracelet which was bent up pretty badly, plus about $10 in coins and somebody's condo key.

I still had fun.

One question/problem I was having was with the pin pointer mode on my 800. About 30% of the time i would turn it on and it would not do anything. But if I turned it off and right back on, it worked fine. Is this normal or do I have a problem? If you recall, back in the spring, Minelab replaced my entire unit with a new one and this was really the first time I have been able to use it. So is this normal???? Plus, before you ask, i did do several FP to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't.
IMG_8354r.jpg IMG_8356r.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your hand. That's pretty normal re: the pinpointer. It is just a quirky beast. Why digging up all those stakes? Those should be pretty easy to bypass and save the recovery time for better targets.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the stakes, just one night I decided to see how many I could find and it was a lot!

Another quirky question is usually a quarter will hit in the 29 range. However I was digging up quarters which were only hitting 14 to 15. Any ides why this variation form normal? Usually bottle caps and pull tabs are 13 to 15. Plus Miller beer must have a new screw on cap because it was hitting consistently in the low 20’s

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes there is other stuff in the hole or nearby or the quarters are deep or edge-on or corroded which can affect their TID. Bottle caps typically give a highly variable TID (that really comes through audibly if you set tones to 50) as you sweep over them from various angles even if they primarily favor a range of TIDs but that can also mimic a multi denominational coin spil. Typically the tell on the bottle caps is the iron tone as they come of the coil edge diring a slow sweep.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pin point function works the same way. Usually doesn't work on the first press of the button, but, will on the second. Been that way since day one a year and half ago and through the software "upgrade". In my area, most tabs are 14 or 15 and fairly solid in sound and number. Bottle caps most of the time will vary from 14 to 18 on each swing. If you hunt the dry sand in Park 1 (or other modes where you can change the frequency), you can change to 4mhz and watch what the reading does. If it jumps up to the high 20's, it's a bottle cap. I find it quicker and easier to just scoop them and get them off the beach. Ferrous tent stakes are usually easy to disc out unless they''re deep and rusty. I search in all metal and can usually tell the shallow ones. Now the aluminum ones are a different story! As V mentioned, I.D. numbers can vary quite a bit depending on ground conditions, angle of the target, and corrosion factors. At the beach, it shouldn't matter because you should be digging all non-ferrous sounds anyway, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread