Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Edited this to bare bones.
Problem is that I have about 20 hours experience with my Nox 800 and my swing will contain 3 to 6 signals per.
I have about 100 hrs total experience detecting since 2005.
Tried the basics to reduce signals.
Yesterday was the first day that I tried reducing sensitivity on my 8 hour hunt with the 15" coil.
Sensitivity was dropped down to 22.
Still 90% of my experience with all 3 coils has been beeping mayhem.
Any chance of a defective detector?
Brian G.

Last edited:

Debatedc

Greenie
Nov 6, 2017
West Central MO
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6 Pinpointer. Equinox 800, Equinox 600, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That seems maybe a bit high on the sensitivity for the large coil. You're going to cover a lot of ground/signals unless you're in an open field. Doubly so in anything like a home or park. Maybe turn down the sensitivity and turn up the reaction speed, and slow your swing a bit?

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Are all these signals somewhat repeatable?......I mean is there actually a target there?

When I first got mine I ended up cutting the sensativity down a ways, just to get it to be quiet long enough for me to get right with it.

It really does seem to see everything.....so that many beeps per swing, in a trashy environment, without some user VDI rejections doesn't seem to far fetched.

The Equinox is great.....but one thing it ain't, is quiet.

I don't see mention of having done the firmqare update. That alone solved the chattery issue on my 600.

Also, getting signals in the 11-15 range, I would consider to be the most common and annoying next to iron. The pulltab/nickel range. Either reject it, or live with it depending on your hunt style.

To me, detecting is peace and quiet hunting cellar holes out in the woods. I do a factory reset every time I turn the thing on. I start out at factory settings. I reject (discriminate) everything under 20 when a place seems trashy so I don't have to hear it. But I don't get many nickels.

After that I'm gonna get the bouncy alloy/trash signals that just can't be helped. nothing I can do about it.

Thats where learning the Equinox came into play. You need to hear the tone to determine more.....Is it crackly, crunchy, cut-off, solid, repeating, one way?

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with the sensitivity. 22 is ptobaby to high. I would not notch out everything under 20 your missing all your chances of finding gold. Let the machine work for you back the sensitivity down. Use the factory defaults and then lower the sensitivity. You didn't say what mode you are running.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead and give more info not less if you want a diagnosis.

100 hours since 2005 is frankly not a lot of total detecting experience based on all the detectors in your profile and especially when you consider that many experienced detectorists don't consider themselves proficient on a machine until they have put 100 hours on that machine.

20 hours is a good start on Equinox considering your total experience. Just trying to get a sense of your overall detecting experience and experience across different detector types. Sometimes having very little experience on a number of machines or having a lot of hours on a single machine different than the one you are learning can cause confusion or can create a challenge because you are used to how your previous machine behaves.

Anyway - some additional info would help:

What targets are you after and the type of sites you are detecting?

Are they high trash sites? Lots of ferrous or non-ferrous junk? Near power lines or other sources of EMI? Mineralized or mild soil?

What Mode are you using? Besides sensitivity, what else are you adjusting?
Hint: you should really run one mode at the default settings and learn the detector. That includes starting at the default sensitivity setting of 20. Sounds like you are cranking sensitivity to 25 and having to back off from that (not surprisingly). Stick with the 11" coil while you are learning or at least until we figure out if your detector is defective.

Typical Startup Routine:

Select your desired mode. (Park 1 is a great all purpose mode)

First you should noise cancel. Then GB, if necessary. Don't adjust anything else at this point other than sensitivity.

Regarding sensitivity, this is how you should set it:

You should start at 20 and push sensitivity in small increments up or down from there. Push up if it is quiet until it gets chatty then back off from that. If chatty at 20, push down as necessary until chatter stops. If you can run at 20 and have a stable detector you are doing great. Pushing above 20 doesn't buy you much in depth and should be avoided if it causes chatter.

If you are still getting a lot of "target signals" per swing at that point, try to describe the VDI's you are getting.

Up till now have you had much success pinpointing and recovering targets at all with Equinox regardless of whether they are trash or keepers? When you do recover them are you mostly surprised or are they what you expected by the tone and visual target ID signals?

We can figure this out with a little bit more info. HTH

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is your cord wrapped tightly around the shaft? Can't have that flopping near the coil.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% with vferrari, more info the better.

I've had swings with like 20 signals! All pull tabs, bottle caps, and coins. It sounds like you may be swinging in really trashy areas and the larger coil is picking everything up.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info...needed

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your cord wrapped tightly around the shaft? Can't have that flopping near the coil.

Definitely a "first check"... I posted a thread about this years ago with pictures of proper / better windings.

One of the most common mistakes with detector setup.

Granted... all detectors work with cord wrapped incorrectly but performance is and can be affected.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed... Like "where" are you digging? Terrain, population density over the years (depositers) can make a difference. For instance, I go to some beaches and they're virtually pristine with the occasional signal... Others are literal trash bins littered with bottle caps, tabs , shredded aluminum cans etc. Same goes for some fields.
You didn't mention the type of ground your going over.
More info...needed

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This makes me think of an old ball field we dig often. There is fireworks set off in the outfield every year and the paper wrapping is a kind of foil. So there is literally machine gun fire there. Who knows what went on in years past at your location.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
a 15” in heavy trash area will drive you nuts , sensitivity to high also. Use smaller coil.
If you are getting a lot of trash you can x ( notch out) that number out , but be careful because you can miss the good stuff, so sometimes you just gotta dig.
While I’m detecting as I go I X/X out some of the number when they appear on my screen when the pop up.
I never X out 9, 13, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25 and up.
Everyone’s detecting pattern may be different. I watch my numbers and also listen to the tones. I always dig a solid tone.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
So sorry that I didn't respond earlier.
I developed a pinched nerve in my neck and to go along with that I had an insanely busy 2 weeks at work.
I am open to any kind of detecting.
Turns out my inexperience is the problem.
I dropped the sensitivity and noise cancelled, then ground balanced.
It works as it should now.
I had to buy that Swingy Thingy to help me due to my neck issue.
Thank you all for your help!

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use the Gold mode on my EQ800, i use the 6inch coil as well. I always run my Sensitivity at 17-19

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re going to have to rule out EMI.

You do that by taking it far far away from powerlines, and underground powerlines, and your cell phone.

I would do zero testing with a 15 inch coil if you’re worried about the machine being defective in this manner. I would use the stock coil, and I would start with the sensitivity around 15, and this is after I have ruled out TMI. I would start with that low sensitivity and work my way up until things are relatively quiet.

If you have the sensitivity to 11, and it’s just snap crackle and popping all over the place, and you are far from electromagnetic interference, then yes, the machine sounds defective

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re going to have to rule out EMI.

You do that by taking it far far away from powerlines, and underground powerlines, and your cell phone.

I would do zero testing with a 15 inch coil if you’re worried about the machine being defective in this manner. I would use the stock coil, and I would start with the sensitivity around 15, and this is after I have ruled out TMI. I would start with that low sensitivity and work my way up until things are relatively quiet.

If you have the sensitivity to 11, and it’s just snap crackle and popping all over the place, and you are far from electromagnetic interference, then yes, the machine sounds defective

He figured it out, two posts above yours...by using the startup routine recommended in the manual.

When having an issue, start with that basics and work from there.

Glad you are back on track, Brian, and hope your neck feels better. Swing assist is a good idea and should help with back and arm issues too. HH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190830_112519.jpg
Found this today so I am back on track :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread