Minelab Waterproof Headphones with WM08 module buzzing

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of Minelab WaterProof headphones - got them today... they work fine when plugged into my Equinox 800 directly (that's not the way I planned to use them)... when plugged into my WM08, they buzz, and there is not way to fix it - believe me I tried!
I currently use a cheap pair of headphones from Amazon plugged into my WM08, and they work great... the reason I wanted the waterproof headphones is for when it rains. I have a small waterproof case for the WM08, so it won't get wet.
I completely understand your frustration. I plan to tear apart my cheap amazon headphones and rebuild the to make them rain resistant... Minelab. you have a problem you need to fix!!

If you read through the entire thread closely, you’ll see that the original issue was misstated as the person having the buzzing problem was not using ML waterproof phones, as it turns out. I personally found the ML WP phones have terrible audio levels and fidelity BTW and use another brand. I know that doesn’t help solve your problem, but I state it in support of your effort to repurpose your other phones for the job. Quest makes a set of Equinox BT low-latency compatible phones that are also rain resistant, obviating the need to use the WM08 and they are cheaper than purchasing a different set of WP phones to plug into your WM08. FWIW. Good luck on resolving the issue, one way or the other.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of Minelab WaterProof headphones - got them today... they work fine when plugged into my Equinox 800 directly (that's not the way I planned to use them)... when plugged into my WM08, they buzz, and there is not way to fix it - believe me I tried!
I currently use a cheap pair of headphones from Amazon plugged into my WM08, and they work great... the reason I wanted the waterproof headphones is for when it rains. I have a small waterproof case for the WM08, so it won't get wet.
I completely understand your frustration. I plan to tear apart my cheap amazon headphones and rebuild the to make them rain resistant... Minelab. you have a problem you need to fix!!
Give them a call.

floridabeach

Jul 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re: Quest, what's the model number

If you read through the entire thread closely, you’ll see that the original issue was misstated as the person having the buzzing problem was not using ML waterproof phones, as it turns out. I personally found the ML WP phones have terrible audio levels and fidelity BTW and use another brand. I know that doesn’t help solve your problem, but I state it in support of your effort to repurpose your other phones for the job. Quest makes a set of Equinox BT low-latency compatible phones that are also rain resistant, obviating the need to use the WM08 and they are cheaper than purchasing a different set of WP phones to plug into your WM08. FWIW. Good luck on resolving the issue, one way or the other.

Thanks for the response - I found "Quest Wireless Pro Headphones" on Kellyco for $99, but they don't claim to be water resistant, and definable not water water proof... per Kellyco web site
Do you have a model number? I just need them to be rain resistant - sometimes heavy rain.

I'm actually thinking about making my own at this point... plenty of youtube videos on the subject.

... and yes, I know he mentioned that they turned out to not be Minelab Headphones. I'm just disappointed that "Minelab" waterproof headphones don't work with the "Minelab" WM08

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

floridabeach

Jul 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. They work well and what I use in the rain.

maxrk

Mar 13, 2021
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same problem - I have the minelab waterproof headphones (yellow) that have a jack to attach to the WM 08 and I get the buzzing. When I power up the WM 08 with the headphones attached to it, it starts buzzing. When I pair it up with the detector, it still buzzes although I can hear the detector through the headphones. If I do not use the WM 08 and plug the headphones directly into the detector, the headphones do not buzz.

I am topping off the module's charge to see if that has anything to do with it.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
You do not use waterproof headphones with the WM08. The WMO8 is Bluetooth and Bluetooth dose not work under water.
waterproof headphones plug direct into the back of the power head. It takes a waterproof connector on the headphones.
Doug

maxrk

Mar 13, 2021
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
M taking a long shot here. The headphone may be the wrong impedance (OHMS ) and not compatible with the Minelab WM 08 .
I’d try a different set of headphones

Doug

Doug,
You are exactly correct. I have the same issue so I contacted MineLab, they gave me an RMA, and I sent the WM-08 and the Minelab Koss waterproof headphones to the Alum Bank repair facility. The tech there confirmed that the Koss headphones and the WM-08 are not compatible due to an impedance mismatch.

mark

maxrk

Mar 13, 2021
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
M taking a long shot here. The headphone may be the wrong impedance (OHMS ) and not compatible with the Minelab WM 08 .
I’d try a different set of headphones

Doug

Doug,
You are exactly correct. I have the same issue so I contacted MineLab, they gave me an RMA, and I sent the WM-08 and the Minelab Koss waterproof headphones to the Alum Bank repair facility. The tech there confirmed that the Koss headphones and the WM-08 are not compatible due to an impedance mismatch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread