Equinox Arm Cuff

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, I used my Equinox for the first time in a couple of months and remembered why I don’t use it all that often... The factory arm cuff is just too big! Does anyone have a solution or can recommend an after market arm cuff? My Equinox shaft doesn’t wobble, the arm cuff is just too wide making it feel like the machine is of low build quality. Thanks!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard guys take a heat source to the cuffs to bend them smaller. I would not do it as it might void the warranty. If you haven't submerged it under water yet, do so as they had/have had leakage issues. Better safe than sorry.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of options. First buy a piece of stiff foam or rubber padding and glue it into the cuff. Second if you want to try heating it just buy a spare and give it a go. Personally I would get the pad. A good hardware store should have what you need.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard guys take a heat source to the cuffs to bend them smaller. I would not do it as it might void the warranty. If you haven't submerged it under water yet, do so as they had/have had leakage issues. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks smokey, I was sure to dunk mine while it was still under warranty and all is good. In fact, I’ve dunked it several times.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. Foam rubber is a good idea.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
secondstar --

Foam rubber may work out great for you, and I have heard of folks heating their cuff, to make it pliable/bendable, as others have said.

I would also like to let you know that I have an aftermarket (Jeff Herke) arm cuff available; with it being aluminum, it can be formed a bit, to fit your forearm, and there is also an optional, padded neoprene cover available that may help a bit with fitment, as well. Let me know if I can be of assistance -- [email protected].

Thanks!

Steve

HerkeCuffAndCover.jpg

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening, I used my Equinox for the first time in a couple of months and remembered why I don’t use it all that often... The factory arm cuff is just too big! Does anyone have a solution or can recommend an after market arm cuff? My Equinox shaft doesn’t wobble, the arm cuff is just too wide making it feel like the machine is of low build quality. Thanks!

I bought an all metal arm cuff off ebay, it was about ÂŁ17.00 for the full setup front bit, rear and screw.

I think it was originally for X-Terra 705....but it's exact same fit and I LOVE IT!

Matt

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I ended up doing... I brought some water to a light boil. I used the Velcro band to snug the arm cuff to the position that I wanted. I then boiled the cuff for about 5 minutes. Upon removal from the boiling water, I transferred the cuff to a bowl of warm water and let it sit for another two minutes. I allowed the cuff to air dry for a few more minutes before removing the Velcro strap. My Equinox arm cuff is now the same diameter as my XP Deus arm cuff! I'm not going to swing hard tonight as I want to let the plastic fully settle, but the wobble is now gone! The foam pad obviously came off as part of this operation, but that shouldn't be an issue now. I'll let everyone know how it holds up.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
secondstar -- thanks for sharing. Sounds like it worked real well! Nice job!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ok ?? I give up. What’s wrong with the equinox , it looks like it’s all wrapped up tike a mummy. Lol
A very rocket area to hunt ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donut, blue is the new black! Good question though. Since it is not a wireless detector, maybe he's just snugging the wire to the shaft, to keep it from snagging stuff. Rocky areas make sense also. Good idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread