New Detector series from Minelab

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i think this Vanquish was a pride thing to try and kill the Ace series. Design and Red color seems to be a slap at Garrett. Nokta is being original and coming out with some cool stuff and build quality always seems top notch. Love my Nox but definitely feel the build quality lacking compared to my Deus.

I couldn't agree more... I am definitely glad that I own the Equinox and it has been good to me. But the build quality is definitely lacking when compared to the Deus or ORX.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont know, when I saw all the hype on there website for "Vanquish, coming soon" I thought it was going to be a big step ahead in metal detectors. How many of you thought the same thing? I realize companies make products to compete at different price points but after owning an equinox, producing a Vanquish almost feels like a step backwards for Minelab.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know, when I saw all the hype on there website for "Vanquish, coming soon" I thought it was going to be a big step ahead in metal detectors. How many of you thought the same thing? I realize companies make products to compete at different price points but after owning an equinox, producing a Vanquish almost feels like a step backwards for Minelab.

Dont think it is a step backwards, it is a Multi-IQ at about half the price of Equinox. It is ML's attempt to grab sales from buyers who cant afford the Equinox series and want something more advanced than the Go Find series, direct competition for the Ace Series.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to wonder about the ML marketing of the Vanquish when they point out the "waterproof searchcoil" LOL. Hasn't every detector made at least since the 1970's had waterproof searchcoils? Are the lower ML go-find searchcoils not waterproof?

If I was in the market for a new truck (and I'm not...), I would be a little suspicious about a company advertising that their new model "comes with seats"...

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ho Hum no sky diver for this one....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to wonder about the ML marketing of the Vanquish when they point out the "waterproof searchcoil" LOL. Hasn't every detector made at least since the 1970's had waterproof searchcoils? Are the lower ML go-find searchcoils not waterproof?

If I was in the market for a new truck (and I'm not...), I would be a little suspicious about a company advertising that their new model "comes with seats"...

Just like the Gold Monster 1000 the coil water proof to 1 meter and there are still non water proof coils sold. I think they advertise the coils are waterproof because the detector itself is not.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is a simplified Nox, I think it will be successful at the lower price points. I cringe when I read a post from someone who has bought an 800 as their first detector. There are so many essential and basic md’ing skills aside from understanding the detector. I hope this new series helps some beginners have success and confidence quickly.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their marketing is annoying, no real info in over a year. Last time i will ever buy any new unproved product from them, the website for existing products is at least informative. The V should be a winner though at the price + multiQ. I don't think V=E where the coils are concerned either, they would have had a package with one of the E coils included.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other

I wish I knew something about production costs and manufacturing. Reason why is, I may be wrong but I thought one of the biggest selling points of multi frequency is the ability to detect in salt water environments. If so, why not make the head unit waterproof. I guess it's expensive to do is why they only made the coil waterproof.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew something about production costs and manufacturing. Reason why is, I may be wrong but I thought one of the biggest selling points of multi frequency is the ability to detect in salt water environments. If so, why not make the head unit waterproof. I guess it's expensive to do is why they only made the coil waterproof.

Minelab has been making non waterproof multiple freq detectors for decades. The ETrac, Safari and Sovereign series are all multiple freq nonwaterproof detectors with waterproof coils.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Minelab has been making non waterproof multiple freq detectors for decades. The ETrac, Safari and Sovereign series are all multiple freq nonwaterproof detectors with waterproof coils.

Check, you are exactly right sir.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vanquish should have no PK problem at salt beaches as long controls are protected from salt contamination.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the Makro Simplex on the market, Minelab would scored big with this one but now i think they gonna feel the heat of Makro. I know Makro is not well know in the States but here in Europe they are kicking ass for the last 3 years and from all the people i know who are buying a new detector all of them except for one are going for the Makro Simplex. I don't want to bash on Minelab, i own a Equinox 800 myself and i think it's a great machine but the Simplex gives just more for the money. I ordered a Simplex myself and expect it next week.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the Makro Simplex on the market, Minelab would scored big with this one but now i think they gonna feel the heat of Makro. I know Makro is not well know in the States but here in Europe they are kicking ass for the last 3 years and from all the people i know who are buying a new detector all of them except for one are going for the Makro Simplex. I don't want to bash on Minelab, i own a Equinox 800 myself and i think it's a great machine but the Simplex gives just more for the money. I ordered a Simplex myself and expect it next week.

I think it is funny because in one case you have a fully waterproof single frequency detector which will work but still struggle in salt water compared to a multifrequency detector and in the other case you only have a water resistant multi frequency detector more suited to salt beach hunting than the Simplex but you can't submerge it. Doh.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is funny because in one case you have a fully waterproof single frequency detector which will work but still struggle in salt water compared to a multifrequency detector and in the other case you only have a water resistant multi frequency detector more suited to salt beach hunting than the Simplex but you can't submerge it. Doh.

Totally agree bud, I alluded to that in an earlier post. The Vanquish seems to make less sense, IMO. Maybe ML figured that making the Vanquish waterproof would make it too close to an Equinox, who knows.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'll wait for SEVERAL reviews. Track records, bug problems etc. are kinda important.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In my personal view, multi frequency beats single frequency for beach use and that trumps waterproof....for now. I would have much preferred ML designed the Vanquish to be waterproof but they didn't. I'll still buy one for my granddaughter however...who doesn't venture into the surf just yet. She stays on the dry and damp sand. When she's ready for the surf, IF that ever happens, the EQX will be her upgrade. Why don't I just buy her an EQX you ask? I want to make sure she'll stay with detecting before spending the money on what may become a wall hanger.

She's big into show horses and the cello right now so who knows what the future will hold....or the time she'll have free to go detecting. For an 11 year old, taking care of her 3 horses and competitively showing one of them dictates most of her scheduled activities.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hint: if you have a working, well built and reliable machine wait till mid spring to jump on anybody's bandwagon. Let someone else be the tester. Jumping too quickly on anything new tends to get expensive and many times ends with buyer's remorse. It applies to all manufacturers and I'd like to see what the competition comes out with. New is not necessarily better.

I re-read the thread, just because. I was unaware the Etrac and Sovereign's were multi frequency. I never really paid attention as I already have enough machines so wasn't looking at them or any other ones. My Tesoro Cibola beats them up pretty badly, and finds a lot more. So...I certainly do not think I'm a great detectorist or some such thing, or really better than others, etc., so why is my $329 antique VLF machine stomping the crud out of the pricier multi frequency machines, unless multi frequency is just a sales pitch. And this has been on head to head digs.

Without huge math, someone want to tackle that real question? Maybe they just overhyped the value of multifrequency. I do not know. Hence the question.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hint: if you have a working, well built and reliable machine wait till mid spring to jump on anybody's bandwagon. Let someone else be the tester. Jumping too quickly on anything new tends to get expensive and many times ends with buyer's remorse. It applies to all manufacturers and I'd like to see what the competition comes out with. New is not necessarily better.

I re-read the thread, just because. I was unaware the Etrac and Sovereign's were multi frequency. I never really paid attention as I already have enough machines so wasn't looking at them or any other ones. My Tesoro Cibola beats them up pretty badly, and finds a lot more. So...I certainly do not think I'm a great detectorist or some such thing, or really better than others, etc., so why is my $329 antique VLF machine stomping the crud out of the pricier multi frequency machines, unless multi frequency is just a sales pitch. And this has been on head to head digs.

Without huge math, someone want to tackle that real question? Maybe they just overhyped the value of multifrequency. I do not know. Hence the question.

User error is my guess. I have personally compared signals and witnessed an E-trac hunting very well at trashy and hunted hard spots. Those FBS machines are no joke IMO.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody seems to be saying multi is great for the salt. Multi rules in mineralized soil too. The FBS machines are known silver sniffers in any soil condition, and there are many places inland where single freq VLFs don't fare well due to mineralization. Many still use PIs in areas like Virginia's hot red clay and a single freq VLF is lost there while multi freqs still penetrate. As far as no pinpoint mode on the Vanquish, a lot of guys I know never use it anyways, preferring the "DD wiggle" as faster and just as reliable with practice. Myself, I like a pinpoint mode but perhaps it is less essential with our modern DD coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread