Testing the F2 settings...

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the video calabash! It drives me nuts that Minelab doesn’t document settings a little bit better. F2 does indeed remind me of silencer on the Deus.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
for every gain there is a loss...something I remember from school. I guess the object for us is to be able to utilize the abilities that our detectors have for various applications with the understanding that there are the possibilities of numerous results. to me, there are gains with this update that many will love and utilize regularly quickly while others may not or may struggle with understanding. I hope that I said that right.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my 600 and 800 are running very quiet after a half dozen outings with each machine. After trying heavy discrimination, I settled on the default F6 and F2 numbers and have been very pleased. Periodically during a hunt I’ll go back to Fe0 and rescan an area just to validate that I’m not missing anything, and will inevitably have an iron target ring in as a good signal. Yeah...it works well for me.

As for defaults...well, I think Minelab came up with them after a lot of testing, much like the defaults in the different modes. I guess my results are similar to Calibash Digger, but with F6 instead of F4. I will give F4 a try next outing and see how it works out for me.

JMHO, but I think a lot of the problems people are having comes from not understanding how iron bias works, and how to effectively apply it to their hunting...particularly new Nox users with less than 100 hours on their machines. Again, JMHO YMMV

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On our Florida beaches, I found that finding the sweet spot by adjusting F2, sensitivity and recovery speed provided the best results. In my test case, F5, sensitivity 18-22, recovery of 4 provided the best results. Best results being good separation of ferrous junk and good targets. The higher I adjusted F2 above 6 the more likely the junk masked the good target. The lower I adjusted it below 4, the more the junk sounded like a good target.

As I previously posted, I use test targets on the beach to determine that sweet spot relative to the environment in which I’m hunting.

Just the view from my Florida foxhole....

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Interesting

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDan can you call bottle caps good with those settings?

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonel Dan, I’m sitting here with a smile on my face after reading how you setup your machine for hunting your area. I’m smiling because I just got off facelessbook and read several posts from people asking "What are the best settings to hunt for XXXX?" Most of them don’t know what’s between page 1 thru 68 of the manual (guidebook), because if they did they wouldn’t be asking for "numbers." So many say they just bought their machine and are taking it out for their first hunt. They can barely turn it on much less know what to do with advance settings or even the local settings. I just sit here and smile as the other noobs tell them how to setup the machine from half a world away.

I guess it’s youthful exuberance, but it makes me smile nonetheless. I’ll have to ask my wife if I was that way when I was younger. She remembers everything! :laughing7:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
ColonelDan can you call bottle caps good with those settings?

Yes, Once I hit the "sweet spot" bottle caps can be separated and are virtually unmistakable depending on their metallurgical composition. Not all bottle caps are made of the same alloy "recipe". The amount of ferrous material to aluminum varies by manufacturer. The more aluminum they contain, the better they sound obviously. If they are the solid aluminum twist off caps or pull tabs, they still yell out "dig me."

Let me also add that my sweet spot settings for Daytona Beach last Sunday were significantly different than the sweet spot settings at Cocoa Beach last Friday.

What I've found is that your average bottle cap will sound off with erratic tones and the VDI will be jumpy...going from minus numbers to positive. During my test, I dug some of those "bottle cap" signals just to validate the F2 effectiveness. Each of those signals that my EQX was warning me about turned out to be bottle caps! I'm happy with the update since bottle caps are ubiquitous on our beaches.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Colonel Dan, I’m sitting here with a smile on my face after reading how you setup your machine for hunting your area. I’m smiling because I just got off facelessbook and read several posts from people asking "What are the best settings to hunt for XXXX?" Most of them don’t know what’s between page 1 thru 68 of the manual (guidebook), because if they did they wouldn’t be asking for "numbers." So many say they just bought their machine and are taking it out for their first hunt. They can barely turn it on much less know what to do with advance settings or even the local settings. I just sit here and smile as the other noobs tell them how to setup the machine from half a world away.

I guess it’s youthful exuberance, but it makes me smile nonetheless. I’ll have to ask my wife if I was that way when I was younger. She remembers everything! :laughing7:

Agree. Many new to our hobby want to look for those "magic settings" they can use for each and every situation and for all environments. What they soon learn is that what works here on Central Florida beaches won't necessarily work in California! Live and learn and as I've said:

Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat

Just the view from my Florida foxhole...

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Fe and F2 iron bias thing is going to get really confusing fast, like what do you mean when you say 'F6' setting? How about using Fe-6 or F2-6 instead.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Fe and F2 iron bias thing is going to get really confusing fast, like what do you mean when you say 'F6' setting? How about using Fe-6 or F2-6 instead.

tabman

And don't forget the 600 users who have a completely differen iron bias settings scale.

Bottom line, when talking about settings agree folks need to specific on which detector tgey are referring to and which specfic iron bias filter setting tgey are using be it FE or F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions