OK, DUMB question here (RE: filming live digs)

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I'm thinking about doing some filming of live digs, and it's something I've never done before, so I am literally "clueless," in terms of the "logistics" of trying to film a dig, and then getting it downloaded, edited, and posted.

As I think it through, I come up with many questions -- what camera(s) do the job well, where/how to mount the camera, how to turn it on/off quickly and easily (as I won't be springing for a fancy camera like Calabash Digger's, that you can TALK to, to turn it on and off, LOL!) :laughing7:

If anyone would like to answer any of the above questions -- i.e. give me some tips, that would be great. However, I have one specific question, at this point, as I try to think this through. It revolves around "audio."

I'm trying to figure out how to get good audio of the Equinox tones being heard with the target, recorded onto the video. Obviously, the external speaker on the machine would probably be the best (only) way...but -- the issue in my mind is, if I'm running Bluetooth headphones, and I hit a good target that I want to film, I can't think of quick/easy way to transfer the audio from the headphones, to the EQX external speaker (and then back again, when I'm done filming). The only way I would know of, to do it, would be to turn off the headphones (allowing the audio to transfer to the external speaker), and then -- after the dig, turn the headphones back on, and pair them to the machine again. That seems tedious; I'm sure there's an easier way. Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks!

Steve

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,
This may help. I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and it’s a great little camera. Here’s a link to connect audio. Just one idea on how to get audio out to put it on your phone or pc. It may be able to Bluetooth to the EQ’s Headphones.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpMbUavpIc
Forgot to mention the GoPro 8 is out or coming out so the GoPro 7 Will be more affordable. Good luck

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

THANKS for the video link. A wireless mic, eh? Interesting. BUT -- I heard him talking about "stitching" the audio together with your video clip, during the video edit process. :o

That sounds pretty intimidating, for someone who doesn't know how to edit video! LOL!

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, you could easily make respectable videos with an older Go Pro session series camera. They're for sale everywhere online and cheap!

As you know I mount my camera on my hat and it makes for quick and easy on/off and also total hands free operation.

The audio is tough but if I really wanted too I'd bet if I just wrapped my headphones around the go pro it would be loud and clear!

Nice to hear you want to do more filming!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what Two Toes uses but he has a microphone and will put it in the ear cuff, its little and also clips on his shirt... I dont think its a cheapo...

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI -- you do a GREAT job, and it's part of why I've gotten interested. Your audio sounds good, but I don't know how you transfer back and forth from your headphones to your speaker, and vice versa...

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, Toecutter, to put a mic in the ear cup. Can you still hear him talking, OK, or does the headphone sound (with the mic in the ear cup) overpower his voice?

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing you can try is the fact that the headphone jack is still active even if you are using BT. So what you can do is add a small external speaker mounted somewhere on your shaft that can be plugged into the headphone jack. That speaker and your voice can then be picked up by the camera MIC while you can still hear your target audio clearly through your BT headset.

The other advantage to using a less expensive, basic go pro camera like the session is that those cameras actually have better battery life than the newer go pros like the 6 and 7 which tend to die rather quickly. You don't really need all the high end "pro" features of the newer go pros for detecting videos since you are not trying to capture extreme sports video in 4k high def. The basic camera features with relatively good audio and video is all you need.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Video stabilization is superior on the GoPro 7.
You do need to consider the temperatures you’ll be using the Hero Session in. In tests it managed one hour and 20 minutes of 1080p 30fps in conditions of -6 degrees celsius before discharging.

The colder it gets the worse batteries perform, so if you’re planning to use the little GoPro in freezing environments battery life will decrease considerably. That may sound obvious, but it’s even more important to consider with the Session than with some other GoPros. It doesn’t have a removable battery, so once it’s dead you’ll need to recharge it, either using a plug and cable or a portable power bank.
Also, at the GoPro website, if you have any old digital camera in any condition, you can get $100 dollars off on the GoPro 8 reducing it from 399.00 to 299.00
You can get extra batteries for the newer non-Session GoPro cameras and change them out as you need too, which is a better option for superior optics and performance.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Go Pro 8 released yet? Good point regarding the fact the session battery cannot be replaced. If you look at battery life the GP 5 appears to have the best balance of features to battery performance at about 2 hrs. per session. The 6 appears to have the worst. According to the chart here and here the 7 appears to be pretty good with battery life at minimal resolution but drops off significantly at higher resolutions. Bottom line, you do need to consider battery life and multiple batteries as part of the equation and the "any" cam trade up deal for the GP 8 looks pretty good especially with hyper smooth 2.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The GoPro 8 is not out yet.
I do know that the 7 has WiFi and Bluetooth so there may be a way to get that audio in from the detector but not positive on that. External mics can be hooked up and since the camera is waterproof and doesn’t need a housing the 3 mics built into the 7 provide killer audio that beats the Hero 5 and 6 cameras.
Then there are free video editing apps available for your phone and tablet but will still need that laptop or desktop to DL large files for further editing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, this is great info, thank you!

I have decided to purchase a used GoPro Hero 5 from one of my shaft customers, who is selling his. I'm also going to buy a clip, to clip it on my hat, and -- thanks to the advice -- a 3-port charger with two spare batteries.

I like the idea of the external mic, vferrari. I did not recall, when I asked the question, that with Bluetooth headphones in use, that the wired headphone port was still active, but I do remember that being the case now. So YES -- a small speaker would do the trick, I am thinking! I will have a look online, but if you have one in mind, I'm all ears.

Thank you all! I think I'll be all set now...until it actually comes time to EDIT video! I do have a new version of PowerDirector installed, on a fairly robust desktop PC, BUT -- zero skills at this point, in using it! I guess that will be the next challenge. Hopefully I'll be uploading some new content to my YouTube channel soon...

Thanks!

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve,
This may help. I have the GoPro Hero 7 Black and it’s a great little camera. Here’s a link to connect audio. Just one idea on how to get audio out to put it on your phone or pc. It may be able to Bluetooth to the EQ’s Headphones.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpMbUavpIc
Forgot to mention the GoPro 8 is out or coming out so the GoPro 7 Will be more affordable. Good luck

Just an FYI, the price of the 7 has no plans to drop atm since it's $50 less than the 8. My 8 already shipped and I have a hero 5 as well. Steve, feel free to email me with any questions or just give me a call.

Hope you are well buddy!
-Bill

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

THANKS for letting me know. I may indeed need to give you a ring, and chat a bit about the 5, once I get it, and have a bit of time with it to figure out what my questions are. I appreciate it!

I am well, indeed; headed to PA for a weeks' detecting vacation starting Thursday. I am meeting up with a couple of guys for some Civil War relic hunting in the Gettysburg/Antietam areas Saturday, which I expect to be one of the highlights of the trip! Can't wait; I've never hunted a Civil War site before!

I hope you are doing well also!

Thanks!

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super jealous man! I'm sure I'll see you on his channel at some point. "This is Steve, my buddy...". I watch all of those channels with my daughter and the last time we watched his video she said "Daddy, it's the guy that made your nox better!". Lol, she's a fan.

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, the 8's started shipping last Thursday. Mine should arrive tomorrow! One bonus for the potential rough use around our hobby is the fact that they finally switched to the latest Gorilla Glass on the lens and screen. I've had to replace the lens 3 times on my 5 even using a screen protector. Another thing I would recommend is a decent quality Neutral Density filter set. It makes a massive difference on very bright, sunny days. Just beware of the cheap imitations on Amazon for the filters. It may be something you add later, but buy from one of the quality photo sites like B&H or Adorama. The cheap ones, which I tried first, fall apart and break *really* easily, like *really* *really* easily (like don't have a bean burrito before a shoot)! Regardless, even if you get a used Hero 5 at a great price you can't go wrong. The 7 introduced live streaming to YouTube and Facebook, but for 99% of users the 5 and on is plenty. I mostly shoot at 1080p 60fps. The 7 & 8 give you more options of frame rates, especially at higher resolutions like 1440 and 4k, but I doubt you will be shooting 4k live digs ;) Size is the same between the 5 and 7 (as are batteries, accessories, etc) and for the most part, same with the 8. The size of the 8 is a tad different so waterproof cases, etc will be different however the mount will be the same and as far as I know the batteries, lens size etc are the same. Check out the changes on their website. The new flip-out mount is pretty sweet. I guess to sum it up, anything Hero 5 or greater will be more than enough. I actually have a brand new Hero7 I ordered before I received the announcement about the 8. It's in the box headed back to Amazon. TBH, not truly sure that the $50 difference is worth it, even for me; however, being a tech geek, I'd prefer the latest for that price difference.

Last edited:

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fyi, you can see some sample basic footage on my YouTube channel. Search for William Pratt and if you see my ugly mug you know it's me. My background is Yosemite. All of the videos, including kart racing at K1 (awesome btw!) are from the Hero5.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill --

LOL!!!! Did your daughter really say that?!?! "Made your Nox better!" LOL!!! That has to be the cutest thing I've heard in a long time!!! Sounds like you have super cute, super sweet little girl! Tell her I appreciate her sweetness! :)

I have one of those sweet little girls, too -- except mine is 18 years old now...cute as ever, but -- for now, most of that "sweetness" is reserved for her friends, and one particular lucky guy (that is NOT her dad, LOL!) I keep being told by everyone that this is just a "stage," and at some point Dad will be important again, LOL! I look forward to that, if true! I miss being "important!" LOL! Meanwhile, cherish your time with your daughter. For me anyway, there is NOTHING that beats being called "Daddy" by a sweet little girl! :)

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

Thanks for the SUPER advice, on the screen protector, and the lens filter. I would have had NO IDEA that those were even available/able to be used. I would have never thought of that. When you said you had to replace the LENS 3 times, did you mean the SCREEN? Because I can't imagine that you are actually putting a screen protector ON THE LENS, are you? I would think a lens filter would do the trick there, to protect the lens itself, right? Or am I confused (which is highly possible, since I've never even seen the camera yet...)

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. -- I will check out the channel; I may have to get some editing tips from you, as well, since you obviously know how to do that, too!

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, I mean the actual lens. I use a protector on it instead of a filter for normal shooting as most filters aren't stackable like they are on SLR style cameras.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread