Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your off season length. for most its only a few months, and theres no need to keep recharging it. From what I know about these batteries, they dont like to be completely dead (that means DEAD, not just below the power threshold for the the detector) and they dont to be 100% charged for long periods. Best thing is to charge it, leave it on for an hour then turnoff and put it away. You probably wont even see a charge loss next time you pick it up.

OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason. My guess is that it'll be March before I can dig again here in FLG. Last time out I hunted for around an hour on a full charge. I may drift down south out of the snow because I'm already jonesing for some swing time.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best to store it at around 60% charge, this goes for all lithium batteries....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually according to batteryuniversity.com (https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries): “There is virtually no self-discharge below about 4.0V at 20C (68F); storing at 3.7V yields amazing longevity for most Li-ion systems. Finding the exact 40—50 percent SoC level to store Li-ion is not that important. At 40 percent charge, most Li-ion has an OCV of 3.82V/cell at room temperature. ”

What this means is that ideally, for long term storage discharging to 40 - 50% is optimal. But since there is practically no self discharge below about 4.0V which equates to approximately 90% cell capacity, you should be fine. Higher than that can result in self discharge which causes the cell temperature to rise, allowing the battery to discharge to the point that cell voltage discharges to less than 2.0V and storing it that way can result in permanent damage and reduced capacity or failure.

In reality, modern device charge and discharge circuits built into devices like Equinox typically prevent your battery from reaching either of the maximum or minimum cell voltage extremes. This is partially implied by the note on p. 8 of the Equinox user manual:

The detector regulates the battery voltage so that its performance remains constant regardless of the charge remaining in the battery.. Although this is referring primarily to battery operation vs. charge.

Anyway, in regards to the original question, when in doubt simply refer to the detector manufacturer’s recommendations in the user manual which states the following:

Battery Maintenance
Lithium-ion battery performance may degrade if unused for long periods of time. Fully charge the battery at least once every 3—4 months to prevent this from occurring.
Even with correct care and maintenance, Lithium-ion battery performance reduces over time with normal use. Therefore the battery may need to be replaced every few years. Replacement batteries can be supplied and installed by an Authorised Service Centre.

So frankly, for a couple months storage at a time I would not sweat the details of ideal precise discharge level percentages and simply store your Equinox with close to 100% charge and sleep soundly. Just be sure to keep it stored within the storage temp range specified in the Manual and NEVER charge the battery wth ambient temperature less than 32F as that WILL likely cause permanent cell damege. Operation down to about 14F is OK, just don’t charge your battery in extremely cold weather. Familiarize yourself with the three temperature ranges (operating, charge, and storage) listed on page 65 of the user manual.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to charge it up, and head to the Bradshaw Mountains tomorrow in search of some gold or whatever else I can find. While we had a ton of snow here, further south it was mostly all rain. Hopefully it washed some nuggets loose. Wish me luck!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on your off season length. for most its only a few months, and theres no need to keep recharging it. From what I know about these batteries, they dont like to be completely dead (that means DEAD, not just below the power threshold for the the detector) and they dont to be 100% charged for long periods. Best thing is to charge it, leave it on for an hour then turnoff and put it away. You probably wont even see a charge loss next time you pick it up.

That's essentially the advice that XP gives for the Deus, and they are the same type of battery so I think that's sound advice.

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I'm getting old and in south Texas, so my off season is July, August and September. That's when it's too hot, dry and the ground is as hard as concrete.
I just leave my 800 alone until I'm ready to get out again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread