How deep?

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Im no expert having only been MDing for a few months, but if it was picking up the wire fence you should get the same/similar signal at that distance the length of the fence. 4 of the little dig arrows indicate approximately 8"s deep, so my guess is that the object was just under the root a little ways.
On another note, i love the EQ 800....my only "complaint" is the emi at some locations. Changing sensitivity & recovery speed helps. May be bad one hunt & not the next hunt. Repetitive Noise cancelling helps, but gets annoying. However, the Equinox still always finds good stuff even under the tough conditions if you can just slow down & hunt thru the emi! Good Luck!
. Don’t expect to learn the NOX overnight it is a very good machine and it takes time and I’m still learning but I had a similar machine Minelab Exteria 70 so crossing over to the Nox was easier for me. And I’ve been detecting for over 45 years.
The fence. You will never be able to eliminate it but sometimes you can get closer by de tuning and not all the time.
As Far as EMI chatter sometime the multi freq is just to much and that is why I said to go to a single frequency like 10khz and that may solve the EMI , I always leave my iPhone in my car. Depth. The size of the find can be deceptive as well as angle, corrosion and oxidation that creates a halo in surrounding dirt around the target , you just have to dig. Nothing is exact in detecting. But just have fun as you go.

Doug

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
yeah I have to get a pinpointer, Im new to the MD game so Im learning also. I though for sure i had a good silver...turned out to be a beer top ;) I did move down further by the fence about the same distance and the signal died off...so Im guessing theres something there just a bit deeper...
If you are getting a signal it’s probably there. But even a good signal can be trash.
as far as a pin-pointer that’s a must but don’t run to amazon and buy a $39.95 special. Or a China look alike.
yea it may work but how good dose it really. I can pick a rusted half of a school staple out of my hand of wet dirty sand that I can’t even see.

Doug

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. Don’t expect to learn the NOX overnight it is a very good machine and it takes time and I’m still learning but I had a similar machine Minelab Exteria 70 so crossing over to the Nox was easier for me. And I’ve been detecting for over 45 years.
The fence. You will never be able to eliminate it but sometimes you can get closer by de tuning and not all the time.
As Far as EMI chatter sometime the multi freq is just to much and that is why I said to go to a single frequency like 10khz and that may solve the EMI , I always leave my iPhone in my car. Depth. The size of the find can be deceptive as well as angle, corrosion and oxidation that creates a halo in surrounding dirt around the target , you just have to dig. Nothing is exact in detecting. But just have fun as you go.

Doug

Don't let the short time detecting fool you. He can hang with some good detectorists. I've seen it.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Don't let the short time detecting fool you. He can hang with some good detectorists. I've seen it.
I didn’t mean it that way at all. Every day I learn more and make mistakes .

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Donut, I hear you....i doubt i will ever "completely" learn the 800! But, im having a lot of fun trying!
HighVDI, thanks for the kind words....I appreciate the advice you have passed on to me....definitely has "shortened" my learning curve!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Donut, I hear you....i doubt i will ever "completely" learn the 800! But, im having a lot of fun trying!
HighVDI, thanks for the kind words....I appreciate the advice you have passed on to me....definitely has "shortened" my learning curve!
its not that hard if you learn what everything dose. The Equinox is very forgiving.
just take your time.

High VDI and you can miss a lot of good stuff below 10 rings and gold can be those areas .

Doug

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its not that hard if you learn what everything dose. The Equinox is very forgiving.
just take your time.

High VDI and you can miss a lot of good stuff below 10 rings and gold can be those areas .

Doug

No way.....I've never missed ANYTHING!:laughing7:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep do you want to go? In order to give you the magic answer I am going to need to know exactly what type of coin you are after and and exactly how mineralized your soil is, how much junk is present, how much moisture is in the soil, the orientation of the coin targets you are going after, the type of coil you are using, how many power lines are present, and, for good measure, the phase of the moon on the day you expect to hunt.

Of course I am being facetious, but I am trying to make a point. You have asked a specific question (how deep was your deepest coin found and what were your settings) with non-specific conditions (a coin in mineralized conditions) and the settings answers you are going to get are going to be all over the map and probably not useful for the relatively specific situation you are thinking about.

Think about the two scenarios you mentioned. You did not mention the type of coin and you didn't mention the settings you used at the beach. Your results are pretty consistent with mine at both a salt beach and in relatively mild ground. Could I tell you exactly what settings I was using, or even the mode I was in when I found my deepest coins under similar conditions with the Nox. Probably not exactly, the reason being that I vary my settings on the fly depending on the situation at hand with the knowledge of what those settings do and how they affect both depth, separation, and ground noise. All factors that determine the general success at recovering targets at depth. BTW for the beach, it was nickels in approximately 15+ inches deep in wet sand probably in Beach 1 mode at default settings with sensitivity cranked (my typical setup at the beach) and on land my maximum recovery of a coin was probably about the same as yours, but I would be lying if I knew the exact settings and even the coin. My deepest recovery inland, in mild soil was probably closer to a foot for a quarter sized, brass button - probably using field 2, stock settings. Is any of this helpful to you? Probably not.

What modes are going to work best in mineralized ground for X composition coins (e.g., nickel, gold, copper, silver) of X denomination (the answer for a 3 cent silver trime or half reale is going to be a lot different than a even a silver dime or quarter).

Understand the tradeoffs of the settings and what targets each of the modes are optimized for and you will be able to answer your own question. Furthermore, you should know which modes might excel under mineralized conditions. Hot soil can severely limit target ID depth to around 3 to 4 inches max (sometimes even less than that) and absolute target detection (without reliable ID) down to about 6 inches. The mode you choose is dependent on the target type of interest. If you are looking for nickels or small silver coins like trimes or gold $1 gold pieces, then Park 2, Field 2, or Gold modes are your best bet because they are optimized for mid-conductive targets. If you are looking for silver, then Park 1 or Field 1 are your best bet. In heavy mineralized soil, reducing transmit power is can help, so that means there may be rare inland situations where the mineralization is so bad, that running Beach mode (Beach mode 2 cuts transmit power in half from the get go regardless of the level of mineralization present) which reduces transmit power when "black sand" mineralization is sensed might actually run well. But don't expect miracles. We are talking shades of gray here, incremental less than an inch improvement in depth.

Regarding recovery speed, it is true that lowering recovery speed improves detectability at depth somewhat, but lower it too much, besides losing separation, you will also increase ground noise (in all metal) which is counterproductive because in highly mineralized dirt, maximum recovery depth means you probably have to dig iffy ferrous signals due to the loss of reliable target ID at depth. Speaking of which, you might think that lowering iron bias is the right answer, but for iffy targets in mineralization, your best bet might be to increase iron bias to make those iffy signals definitely sound like iron which might help depth. No real right answer on that one. BTW - on that really deep nickel I found at the beach, I was using the stock beach mode recovery setting of 6, go figure. Same goes for that deep button, which was at the default recovery speed of 7, but I was trying to pick it out of a bunch of iron nails.

Sometimes, single frequency can help, too. Sometimes, not.

Proper ground balance is key in really mineralized dirt, so be sure to check that. BTW - the Equinox can only give you a relative ground reading and it is applicable to the specific mode you are in at the time. The number high or low, really doesn't definitively tell you how much mineralization is present. You need a detector with a separate mineralization meter such as a Deus/Orx, Fisher F75/T2, or a Whites that has this capability.

The best thing you can do is do some sample target experimentation at the site. Bury some desirable targets in the dirt at the site (don't worry about halos which don't apply to non-ferrous targets, pack the dirt down tight (air gaps reduce detection depth), use a baggy with a string to make your target easy to recover when you are done, and use your knowledge of of how the settings vary depth and noise to tweak and dial in your detector.

You are invariably going to get a variety of specific settings answers in this thread, hopefully, this information will help you sort through it all.

HTH and good luck.

This is why I read forums...right here^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread