Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never been impressed with the 6 or the 12x15. Stocker stays on very often.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered getting the 6" coil for myself for Christmas, I held off and am glad I did. The 11" coil has been working just fine even in the trashiest places. Now... if they did come out with a 8" coil, I'd be all over it.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
There is a reason you don’t use the 15” in a heavy trashy area. Same for the 11” and that is the reason for the 6”.
Each coil has its purpose and places to be use. Some here will swear by a certain coil and others won’t. And the same goes for Concentric and DD coils.

Doug

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug

Maybe the 6 has some advantage on items close together on the same PLANE ….but make the items a 3D situation and the six will be whipped by the 11.....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a reason you don’t use the 15” in a heavy trashy area. Same for the 11” and that is the reason for the 6”.
Each coil has its purpose and places to be use. Some here will swear by a certain coil and others won’t. And the same goes for Concentric and DD coils.

Doug

I've pulled relics out of heavy iron with the 11" after switching from the 6".

I honestly feel the 11" is just as capable in iron infested sites when the machine is set up correctly

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug

If both targets, ferrous and non ferrous fall under the line of the "center knife shaped signal of the DD" the non ferrous target will be blanked. The angle of approach is the determining factor when targets are close together and to not line up the targets both under the knife blade shape of detection.

There it is, as clear as mud... vary approach from different angles.

g

Last edited:

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is sort of off topic, but on the home page for the Equinox, this particular post has five small Gold Star beside it.

Never seen these before. What are they and/or what do they indicate?

Thanks

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the 6” coil especially in nail ridden sites. One site I hit with the 11” coil the nails made the sound overwhelming. Probably had 4-5 nails under the coil at all times no matter where I swept. I put the 6” coil on and pulled a few dollars in clad and some wheat pennies from the site. The neighbor told me he’s seen at least 30 people detect this house lot. 6” coil settings that kill for me. Sweep speed 4, sensitivity 22-25. F2 3

Last edited:

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gotten to the point where I carry another coil with me all the time to change out in the field. The problem is, I could carry all three and use all three in most places I hunt. None of the coils do it all and I always wonder if the coil I left behind is the one I should have brought? The same goes for settings, you never really know. You make the best choice given what you know. The choices are infinite and all places are different. Great video in the sense that it gets people thinking and trying "new" things. Good luck!

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its very simple folks ,
You are always going to have about 3 groups of people with their opinions whether based on fact or suspicion or want . There will be those people who love their machine no matter what and because of that it can do no wrong - There will be people who dislike the machine for what ever reason and WILL find a reason to knock it no matter what !
Then finally the group in the middle who accept that good conditions and bad exist under all circumstances for any and all machines . Im referring to the blanking out effect and any other affect you can think of . We are given groups of technologies and advances with basic rules to work with from each and every manufacturer of metal detectors . My next point is this , if a certain set of circumstances exists to create a blanking out affect for this machine and a certain coil or two , Im sure that circumstances exist for other machines as well . This just points out the imperfection of our hobby and the tools we have to use , I for one am very happy to use the EQ800 - Blanking or no blanking !

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set up tests where the 6" search coil beat the 11" search coil on the same plane and at different planes. If you put multiple trash targets in, at, and around an 11-inch circle the 11" search coil won't beat the 6" inch search coil at finding a coin in the mix. In the real world of detecting, finding a coin between two nails elevated by two 2 x 4's isn't likely. Common sense should tell you that overall a 6" search coil can pick through trash better than an 11" search coil will. However, if you're hard-headed and have plenty of money to bet, I'll meet with you and set up the test. Bring cash and plenty of it.

The truth is, both search coils have advantages and disadvantages, that's why I have both. It would behoove to go over the same site with both.

tabman

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry tabman I am to busy out finding priceless artifacts to have a show down..... I will however send you a gopro to film your so called test and you can send it back to me and I will post video of the 6 inch coil whipping the 11 just kidding I really dont have time....:laughing9: …. If swinging a 6 inch coil makes you happy by all means have at it.

Detecting is a game of ODDS...and also Time . Instead of the 6 inch Nox coil in heavy iron I just pull out my Deus with a 9 HF coil which runs circles around the 6 inch Nox coil in Heavy iron... . I have a strategy for my style of hunting . Where I feel I get the best bang for my buck...(Time VS effort)

One thing to remember is I am not chasing clad or silver in yards Most of the time I am iron loaded sites with little to moderate modern trash. If the old site is loaded with modern trash We leave and go find another site …..Back to the time vs effort... Maybe one day when we run out sites I will return to those sites and spend my retirement days picking hard to find targets out of tons of modern trash but for now we will keep on moving...

Time being able to detect is the key factor for me.....If I cant get with the Equinox 11 inch coil or Deus 9 inch coil I am very content in leaving it there and moving on down the line.

I understand everyone cant do that and each of us have to adapt our styles... A hockey puck just doesnt fit into my style....

BTW as for the test of the 6 inch unmasking in a 3 d scenario with iron ,would love to see it...Six inch coil had absolutely no benefit in the test I performed in the video. That test was NOT 2 nails elevated above a coin....

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set up tests where the 6" search coil beat the 11" search coil on the same plane and at different planes. If you put multiple trash targets in, at, and around an 11-inch circle the 11" search coil won't beat the 6" inch search coil at finding a coin in the mix. In the real world of detecting, finding a coin between two nails elevated by two 2 x 4's isn't likely. Common sense should tell you that overall a 6" search coil can pick through trash better than an 11" search coil will. However, if you're hard-headed and have plenty of money to bet, I'll meet with you and set up the test. Bring cash and plenty of it.

The truth is, both search coils have advantages and disadvantages, that's why I have both. It would behoove to go over the same site with both.

tabman

My "test" is out in the field and the 11" wins every time....for me of course. Those man made setups with coins laying on 2x4's next to nails out of a Home Depot box get no attention from me.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Searching around cellar holes in the woods:

*In the open clear easily swingable areas the stock coil does better for me than the 6” even if it is iron infested.

*Often roots, large vines, large stones and bricks litter the area around the hole and these obstacles raise the swing plane 3-4”. In these instances where the 6” coil can smoothly skim the dirt around the obstacles I have found lots of LC’s and relics with the little guy.

*If you have the patience to poke into the bushy overgrown areas, the small coil’s ability to allow for wiggles in tight spaces will occasionally reward you with a nice keeper.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no doubt that my Deus will beat my Nox in a bed of nails but in 'trash' my 6-inch search coil will unmask better than my 11-inch search coil will. Now, I'm NOT going to try to cover a large area with the 6-inch search coil, but in the right smaller search area, it's a super fun search coil to use and is very effective in 'trash'.

tabman

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice test results Calabash. Thanks for saving me the money on a 6 " coil !

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try not to overthink it. Nice weather, a decent machine, someplace to go and I'm set.

NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about looking for gold nuggets in the Arizona desert?

I'm considering checking a bag for my flight (need a larger suitcase) in order to take it with me.

Is the 6" coil better?

Dan

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Dan
about the same. Just the amount of ground coverage.
lots of targets like trash 6”
less trash and more open 11”. Or 15” for fields.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread