Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil.... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2011
    Germantown, Tennessee
    Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
    6713 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I'm happy that people believe that an 11-inch search coil will pick through trash better than a 6-inch search coil will because it just leaves more for me.

tabman
    CarsonChris, Bodkin and danloop like this.
    CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, Minelab e-trac, Fisher CZ-5 & CZ3D, Minelab Equinox, Whites MXT All Pro, Tesoro Eldorado

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    7139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy durtdigger View Post
    This confirms and explains a suspicion I've had but never tested. I see folks singing the praises of this machine as a relic site beast but have never had that experience with it myself on the sites I hunt.
    I don't think this is saying the Equinox is not a relic site beast, it is saying the 6-inch coil has issues. I have killed it in several relic sites with the 11" coil.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Oct 2015
    NWNJ
    851 times
    Metal Detecting
    Unless I am in the woods (rare) I run the BIG coil.

Low and slow- it will lock on the target even in the trash.

But soon that won't matter...
    calabash digger likes this.
    AviTech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus-1X, don't be left behind...

Coins I have found in MY yard-

1775 British half penny, 178x half penny, 1816 Spanish 1/2 Reale, 1849 large cent, 1858 Seated Liberty quarter, 1892 Barber quarter, 18xx Shield nickel, 1897 Liberty head V nickel, a pile of Indian cents & Wheat pennies, 1946 dime, 1963 half dollar.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
    1661 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I use the 6" coil for more than just the hopeful possibility of better separation in junk, though. It is perfect for poking around into the brush and briars. I love it when I get into the woods.
    calabash digger and Bodkin like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    I dislike hockey pucks myself, still wishing the folks at Minelab would give us a nice 8" coil.
    They did but its on the Vanquish in the 540 propack.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffy Signals View Post
    They did but its on the Vanquish in the 540 propack.

Geez, Minelab has had 8" coils for the explorer series (Etrac, Safari, etc) and the Excal for many years.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    4189 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've never been impressed with the 6 or the 12x15. Stocker stays on very often.
    vferrari, gunsil, sgoss66 and 2 others like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1196 times
    I considered getting the 6" coil for myself for Christmas, I held off and am glad I did. The 11" coil has been working just fine even in the trashiest places. Now... if they did come out with a 8" coil, I'd be all over it.

us
    Jan 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
    184 times
    There is a reason you don’t use the 15” in a heavy trashy area. Same for the 11” and that is the reason for the 6”.
    Each coil has its purpose and places to be use. Some here will swear by a certain coil and others won’t. And the same goes for Concentric and DD coils.

Doug
    Coloma, Michigan, South West lower Michigan.Just east of St,
    Joseph Mi, 12 miles

Equinox 800 11, 6 coil
    Steve’s Carbon fiber shaft with counter weight.
    Xterra 70

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    8044 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug
    Maybe the 6 has some advantage on items close together on the same PLANE ….but make the items a 3D situation and the six will be whipped by the 11.....
    vferrari and ColonelDan like this.

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    4189 times
    Metal Detecting
    There is a reason you don’t use the 15” in a heavy trashy area. Same for the 11” and that is the reason for the 6”.
    Each coil has its purpose and places to be use. Some here will swear by a certain coil and others won’t. And the same goes for Concentric and DD coils.

Doug
    I've pulled relics out of heavy iron with the 11" after switching from the 6".

I honestly feel the 11" is just as capable in iron infested sites when the machine is set up correctly

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    291 times
    Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug
    If both targets, ferrous and non ferrous fall under the line of the "center knife shaped signal of the DD" the non ferrous target will be blanked. The angle of approach is the determining factor when targets are close together and to not line up the targets both under the knife blade shape of detection.

There it is, as clear as mud... vary approach from different angles.

g
    Last edited by GeoW; Jan 12, 2020 at 08:53 AM.
    danloop and calabash digger like this.

us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    245 times
    This is sort of off topic, but on the home page for the Equinox, this particular post has five small Gold Star beside it.

Never seen these before. What are they and/or what do they indicate?

Thanks

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    942 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I love the 6” coil especially in nail ridden sites. One site I hit with the 11” coil the nails made the sound overwhelming. Probably had 4-5 nails under the coil at all times no matter where I swept. I put the 6” coil on and pulled a few dollars in clad and some wheat pennies from the site. The neighbor told me he’s seen at least 30 people detect this house lot. 6” coil settings that kill for me. Sweep speed 4, sensitivity 22-25. F2 3
    Last edited by CarsonChris; Jan 21, 2020 at 11:41 PM.
    nuggetdog and calabash digger like this.

us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    1061 times
    It's gotten to the point where I carry another coil with me all the time to change out in the field. The problem is, I could carry all three and use all three in most places I hunt. None of the coils do it all and I always wonder if the coil I left behind is the one I should have brought? The same goes for settings, you never really know. You make the best choice given what you know. The choices are infinite and all places are different. Great video in the sense that it gets people thinking and trying "new" things. Good luck!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links