Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember they are different coils. The distance from the center of the coils to the outer edge dose make a difference in signal pattern.
the iron bias will work different on the 11” than the 6” and their will be more separation from iron targets. And same goes for the 6”.
each coil needs different settings.
just an example. The sweep rate for an only 6” will react different than the 11”.
and the same goes for the iron bias.
visualize the wedge signal pattern on the 6” compared to the 11. The 6” will be on a sharper angle and the 6” has to be much more precise over a target and if you are off just a little you will miss the target. And that is why the 11” is hitting more targets.
But in tight carefully slow detecting areas the 6” can shine.
This is just my opinion so don’t beat me yo to much. The 6” is a hotter coil and you have to treat it that way and at timed de tune it at times.

your Friend Doug

should I say ouch now or later .
The snow covered ground is getting to me.

Last edited:

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly believe that if you have good positive faith in your equipment and a good positive attitude you WILL be more successful !!!
I tested the ML waggle method, and you are correct...the signal didn't exceed the coil width unless near the surface. At an inch or less deep, I get 1-2 inches added perimeter detection tone. Then the difference became moot with depth. I could easily be tea cupping this small coil a little as well in an open field.

I also hunted a 20'x100' sidewalk strip area in front of an older local school today. All modern coinage but I did take it slower with the 6" coil, and even so, I found I'd missed targets on my return path, missed targets close-by to previously found coins.

I apparently don't have a magical performing 6" coil for coverage after all. Confidence does seem to make some difference though. Thanks for the advice.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill Southern (Nugget Shooter Journals on YouTube) used the 11” to nugget shoot one time, and then immediately switched to the 6” and hasn’t gone back.
If I were in AZ I would use the 6”.

But I’m in NJ looking for relics and coins, and I’ve been using the 6” in a nail infested site. I haven’t been super impressed (thought it could be the site) and after the OP’s video and this thread’s discussion I may switch back to the 11” and try that.

Following up on my previous post: I did switch back to my 11" coil for the last 2 days (about 3 hours total) and I have to say that I felt like I was more accurately able to sort out "real" targets from square nails (my most typical trash dig), but my pinpointing was not as good as with the 6" coil (but good enough to still recover targets pretty quickly, and I have a Garret ProPointer anyway).
The sorting-out I mention is tough to describe, but I feel like with the 6" I was getting fooled by signals (and thus digging square nails) whereas with the 11" I was better able to discriminate. The 11" sounds and numbers seemed to be clearer to understand/interpret.
Only found one coin (1897 Indian Head Penny) and some kinda-boring relics (door latch, broken foot to some piece of furniture, an old metal paint tube - apparently those can date back to the later half of the 1800's).

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember you are using the same signal strength on both coils and they are different sizes. And with the pinpointer is gonna have a harder time pinpointer especially when target is close to coil. And one of the main reasons the Nox is so popular and findings more deeper targets because the Nox receiver processor is more sensitive and that is just nature of the beast and I can deal with that if I find more.
if I wanna find less I’ll get a Garrett.
Doug

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 6 inch coil to poke around in tight spots which for me makes the coil a worthwhile purchase. Just yesterday I found a Mercury dime between two saplings that the factory coil couldn't possibly fit between. This hobby is all about trade offs, and for me, the 6 inch coil absolutely has its place.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my 6” coil, I’m keeping mine

earthfoot

Greenie
May 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Anfibio
Hopefully the OP will do a video on which settings are best in order to improve the performance in situations like this thread -multi level target and iron. Tight spots are the primary usage I intend with it. Maybe I will just have to dig more, would be nice to improve unmasking in trash with it though; somehow or another.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread