Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    8044 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....

If you swing the 6 inch you need to see this...

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

gb
    Saul

May 2019
    West Sussex, UK
    Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
    6 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Great video and very informative. I had been considering the 6" coil for quite some time but I was not totally convinced the advantages...if there were any, would be worth the cash. Seems I was right to hold off.

I didn't realise that this blanking thing was going on. I only search beaches and there is a lot of iron nails, aluminium and lead scattered around. I am just wondering now how many targets I may have missed because of this issue.
    calabash digger and SanMan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    8044 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    All detectors will blank in that situation...some are better than others...The Equinox and Deus both are the best..

us
    Mar 2019
    East Central Indiana
    Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9 and 11x13 coils.
    64 times
    Metal Detecting
    This confirms and explains a suspicion I've had but never tested. I see folks singing the praises of this machine as a relic site beast but have never had that experience with it myself on the sites I hunt.

gb
    Saul

May 2019
    West Sussex, UK
    Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    All detectors will blank in that situation...some are better than others...The Equinox and Deus both are the best..
    It is something I have never come across before but then again I have only done in air tests and of course things can certainly change for targets in the ground.

For example if I place a nail near a coin and run my Q40 across those targets it is will easily pick out both no matter how close I put them together, it even picks out the coin if I put the nail on top of the coin. Now as I say that is an in air test and I assume it may not be that clear cut with targets that have been buried for a long period of time?

I have seen people here in the UK promoting the 6" coil for the Equinox. Especially for use in and around piers where of course there is a lot of iron. I did try under a pier the other day with the 11" and it was pretty much unusable. I figured a 6" would not be so affected by all the iron but I am rethinking that now.
    calabash digger and SanMan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    291 times
    How about adding the XP Deus and coils in the mix, just for fun.

g

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Minelab Equinox 800's~ Predator Tools , XtremeScoops
    303 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I’ve swung over a certain “test” type setups many times where the 11 and 15” coils will see a silver dime from between two elevated crusty 1800’s nails and the 6” will not. Nails above dime 2-3” and about 1-2” apart, ...adjust nails closer so the 6 will miss dime each time, then the larger coils will hit it pretty easy still without falsely hitting off the iron. That was pre-Fe2-update, Hardly ever used the 6” since.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    1132 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good video CD. I too have kept the 11” coil on my EQX and have done well with it. My view is that if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it!
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Itís up to you to pick the best seat~

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8046 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    What were your sensitivity, recovery speed, and iron bias settings with this test?
    calabash digger, Bodkin and SanMan like this.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    8044 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I used the f2 0, recovery 5, sens 19 or 20 …. I have done these type tests with different settings too in the past. Results were the same...
    Iffy Signals and SanMan like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3377 times
    I dislike hockey pucks myself, still wishing the folks at Minelab would give us a nice 8" coil.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8046 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    That's strange. I've hunted around fire pits where there are TONS of nails and other ferrous junk, and I find all kinds of non-ferrous stuff. More stuff than I've ever been able to find with other detectors in iron riddled areas. I detect in all metal, and usually run the recovery speed up to 7 or 8, and the F2 iron bias to at least 6, and sometimes to 9. Naturally, I work it pretty slow because of all the signals. Some of the signals aren't a good solid one, but, if I get any kind of squeak, I scoop some sand and sweep again. I agree that the 6" isn't much of an advantage except for getting close to big iron, such as posts, rebarred concrete, and playground equipment. In turfed areas, I'm a lot more selective. I rely more on depth than numbers or even sound, than I do at the beach.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    1061 times
    Started with the stock coil, it worked great. Bought the 15", but there's too much stuff in the ground and it was "confused" (saving it now for FL beaches). Bought the 6" and have been using it 95% of the time, it's fantastic! A lot of this depends on where you hunt. I laughed at the 6" coil when I bought it thinking that it's too small to do any real damage. Boy was I wrong! I'm certainly willing to give the stock coil a fair go again, and even the 15" for that matter. I would love them to be as effective or more. I could certainly cover more ground that's for sure. Nice video and if anything it starts a conversation, that's good. I don't mind being proved wrong in these things. I win either way. Thanks!
    GeoW, tabman, NevadaGold and 2 others like this.

us
    Jan 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
    184 times
    Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug
    tabman and calabash digger like this.
    Coloma, Michigan, South West lower Michigan.Just east of St,
    Joseph Mi, 12 miles

Equinox 800 11, 6 coil
    Steveís Carbon fiber shaft with counter weight.
    Xterra 70

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    1009 times
    Metal Detecting
    VERY interesting results, Calabash. Good video; this motivates me to hit the test garden with my own (unused thus far) 6" coil...

Steve
    calabash digger likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links