Equinox 800 pinpointing function and handheld pinpointer question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, on some occasions the 800 pinpointing feature was off by about 8". It has happened enough that I don't think the fault is always mine.

So wouldn't it be nice if we had a handheld pinpointer that when you held it vertically it would locate precisely a coin sized target 9" - 12" deep. Now I have read that Minelab engineers have said we have reached the practical depth levels on modern coils and metal detectors due to physics.

Are we stuck with shallow handheld pinpointers also due to the laws of physics or handheld size limits? I have used the black and orange Garrett pinpointer and the Minelab Profind 35. It seems that in a vertical position the depth max is not more than 1.25 inches for the Profind-35.

I did notice that when I put a new battery in the Profind-35 it moved it up to 2 inches. I measured the battery voltage I removed and it was 8.81 volts. The new battery was 9.42 volts. Thus a 6.48% drop in battery voltage caused a 37.5% drop in depth ability. Hmm, with the old battery all seemed well as far as vibration and audio signal.

Another question: is their a pinpointer available that goes deeper than 1.25 inches?
(I mean a non-chinese pinpointer)

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When pinpoint is off target in my experience its iron, never had it happen with nonfarris targets..

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the F-pulse pin pointer, it hits deep and is great for separating multiple targets which my 600 will throw me off pin point more often then not. Sure its a pricy pin pointer but well worth the money and time.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
The White's TRX pin pointer will reach fairly deep. 3-5 inches which will catch the majority of the targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try swinging the coil in a circle completely around the target without getting a hit, and continue making the circle smaller and smaller until you hit the target on all sides. Then hit the pin point button and X the target. Ground conditions and the shape of the target can throw the signal off too. I mostly notice poor pin pointing when I'm in big rocks and roots. Coins on edge can pin point off center too.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse induction (PI) pinpointers have the best depth but they will make a VLF go nuts when turned on in close proximity to a VLF detector, even with multi IQ. I have never had a pinpoint problem with my Nox on coins, jewelry, I never need more than a three inch diameter hole to recover coins to six inches.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Surf Pulse Plus for sale,..........

It's somewhere in this picture, about the middle or so........

Phone camera Herd.jpg

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember the Equinox is a very sensitive detector and signals can splatter some in mineralized ground and other trash. If you want a better detector like a G At pro that is less sensitive but your gonna miss some targets. You will work harder with a more sensitive detector, the NOX is a multi frequency and is gonna find and hit on more targets.
Doug

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse induction (PI) pinpointers have the best depth but they will make a VLF go nuts when turned on in close proximity to a VLF detector, even with multi IQ. I have never had a pinpoint problem with my Nox on coins, jewelry, I never need more than a three inch diameter hole to recover coins to six inches.

I rarely have much of an issue with the F-pulse, but I keep kick the coil a foot or two away when I go to dig anyway and I emi balance with it on at my waist.

Curlymaplebandit

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave up on the pinpoint mode. I'll do the minelab wiggle and back up till the signal drops off. Targets will be directly under the nose of the coil. Actually there's a small triangle/ arrow on top of the coil, that's the spot.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a "DD wiggle" used exclusively with detectors with DD coils, not just Minelabs. Not all Minelabs have DD coils and one cannot use the DD wiggle on a concentric coil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread