A bit puzzling

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been noticing an anomaly with copper pennies that have been affected by corrosion. This didn't seem to happen prior to the updates.
Most copper pennies seemed to ring 25-26 and were easy to identify.
Post updates I've had most bounce from 25-30 any many with an iron grunt.
Often I'm not sure if it will be a dime, penny or quarter.
I'm cranked on sensitivity, field 1, 50 tones, f2 5,6,7, I usually leave the iron audio on.
Any thoughts?

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run in park 2, sensitivity @ 22 (depending on where I am) and I almost always get a 25 signal with a nice audio chirp. Dimes hit it nearly identical, maybe a number plus or minus, but it’s faithful to the audio unless there’s something else with it. I’m really new to the equinox, but I’m really coming around to it after I started using it as an audio first, numbers second machine. That iron grunt would have me sideways. If it keeps on doing it, I’d would roll back the update. I’d be re-learning a new machine again and that would kill me.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Have you tried in FE and not F2. The unit is the same before the update in FE. The update only gives you an additional option of F2 and dose not affect the original FE.

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get the same thing on the beaches. Solid copper pennies come through really clean but corroded zincs can be a bit all over the place. Still higher conductive signals and since I dig everything on the beach it isn't a problem for me. I haven't found any way to dial it in for that but I haven't been concerned by it enough to really try.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In my experience on our Florida beaches, zinc pennies can and do ring up differently based on the amount of corrosion. As the penny deteriorates, the metallurgical signature is altered even though the EQX is doing its level best to determine what it is...in a manner of speaking. It's just a fact of detecting life and I've found no reliable way to adjust for it since there is no real standard degree of erosion.

Re: copper pennies, the conductivity of those and dimes is very similar ergo the VDI similarity.

Just the view from my sandy foxhole....your environment/situation my give you different results....

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything that changes the eddy currents will change the reading.

So that means corrosion, chunks missing, holes drilled, splits, cracks, bends, etc.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not many talk about this but the Nox can, and sometimes will up-average if conditions are right and you are in the vicinity of iron.
Doesn't have to be huge iron either, it just has to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I hunt in Hemetite filled Fe 2o 3 mineralized soil with extra massive iron everywhere I go and I have seen this happen a lot on just about every hunt.
It happened before the update and it still happens after on mine, it happens on my usual Field 2 but also on all the other program choices....and I have used them all from Park to Beach.
Corrosion might have something to do with it but I don't know why it would and what exactly is corroded?
My zincs usually never come out of the ground whole but my coppers always do...they might be super crusty and thickly coated with dried clay but I can't recall any with corrosion unless you are talking about that beautiful green patina some of the older ones have.

Many times the thing is dead on the right numbers but I can't count how many times I have dug copper cents and dimes in high 20's to low 30's, zincs in the mid 20's and even an odd nickel or two in the zinc area.
Mid 30's on some quarters a lot, too, you should have seen my face and how shocked I was once when I went after a 35 signal expecting a clad quarter and a beautiful Walker came up instead.
Never had a thought it would be a half I am so conditioned to seeing this effect it happens so much around here.
I think mine does this stuff on purpose just to keep me in my toes but I don't care, I just dig the solid tones and numbers wherever they end up to be and I am usually rewarded.
I have well over 1000 hours using an F70 and Fishers are well known for up-averaging around iron all the time and boy mine does it too.
No big deal, on both I learned to understand this phenomena and ultimately use it to my advantage once I realized exactly what was happening.
You would be surprised how much great stuff I have found living in the ground with iron once I got used to this.
Just don't count on targets behaving logically all the time, every time...open your mind up to noticing more than just the normal numbers and you will be fine.
Next time this happens move the offending coin to a different area and scan it again out of the ground, I think you will find they all revert back to normal numbers if you do.
Then search around for iron in the vicinity, bet you will find some shallow, deep or inbetween or if you happen to hunt in ferris oxide dirt like me that will trigger it with no other iron than that, in damp or wet soil especially.
Unusually high numbers with a little iron indication with the horseshoe on...dig it.
Horseshoe off but low disc and an iron hut with higher weird numbers...dig it.
Horseshoe off and using higher disc with unusual higher numbers and no iron hits...dig it.
Hunting in red clay iron mineralized dirt and no iron but weird numbers...dig them also.
Don't assume, this sneaky little Nox is hoping you will do just that.

Adjusting sense and whatever else might help with this but if you embrace this odd effect and learn to use it you also will be rewarded.

It also could be something else completely causing this in your case because it only happens in a few copper cents but in my gut I am still going to go with up-averaging...cause I'm stubborn.

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Green patina“ *is*corrosion. That is coppers version of rust.

And bottom line is the Nox sucks for Target identification no matter what anyone will try to argue. At best it is “good enough “and as long as the numbers are in somewhat of a decent range dig it.

Only thing the nox has going for it is picking up small items, separation and recovery speed. The built-in rechargeable battery and wireless headphones are also nice but icing on the cake.

If you are looking for information on how to judge what is in the ground before you dig it, the CTX is light years ahead. Not to mention that even mine lab themselves says the CTX is better for silver coins.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Green patina“ *is*corrosion. That is coppers version of rust.

And bottom line is the Nox sucks for Target identification no matter what anyone will try to argue. At best it is “good enough “and as long as the numbers are in somewhat of a decent range dig it.

Only thing the nox has going for it is picking up small items, separation and recovery speed. The built-in rechargeable battery and wireless headphones are also nice but icing on the cake.

If you are looking for information on how to judge what is in the ground before you dig it, the CTX is light years ahead. Not to mention that even mine lab themselves says the CTX is better for silver coins.

Green is copper's oxidation. Corrosion on zinc pennies is actual removal of metal, and it is an uneven removal, at that, changing a nice, round piece of metal to a rough edged piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread