Auto Track

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
I Was out yesterday and would hit on a good signal then it was gone.
this was driveling me crazy because it kept happening.
Then I looked at my screen and darn I noticed the auto track was on.
if it is on and you help passing over a target trying to pinpoint it without using the pin pointer the detector can ground balance the target as being ground and balance it out.
this is the main reason I will not use auto track.
if I was in an area where the ground minerals like some places like where their is gold I would use it.
This is the main reason I don’t use auto track.
I know some swear by it bit I’m wondering how many good targets they are missing.

Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting idea. I run auto on the beach and haven't noticed the issue but maybe it's there and I'm not recognizing it. I'll be looking to see what others have to say.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
You won’t notice it unless you are aware of it. It only happens when you pass over and over a target a few times to find the center and not when in pinpoint. I just want everyone to be aware of it. That’s why sometimes a target disappears and you wonder why.
It happens with auto track on. I had the same problem years ago with the Exterra 70 I had to.
Doug

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won’t notice it unless you are aware of it. It only happens when you pass over and over a target a few times to find the center and not when in pinpoint. I just want everyone to be aware of it. That’s why sometimes a target disappears and you wonder why.
It happens with auto track on. I had the same problem years ago with the Exterra 70 I had to.
Doug

Exactly what Doug said. Sweep more than a couple of times over a target especillay deep ones and they will disappear using tracking. Unless yo

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you are in heavy mineralization use zero GB.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
I Was out yesterday and would hit on a good signal then it was gone.
this was driveling me crazy because it kept happening.
Then I looked at my screen and darn I noticed the auto track was on.
if it is on and you help passing over a target trying to pinpoint it without using the pin pointer the detector can ground balance the target as being ground and balance it out.
this is the main reason I will not use auto track.
if I was in an area where the ground minerals like some places like where their is gold I would use it.
This is the main reason I don’t use auto track.
I know some swear by it bit I’m wondering how many good targets they are missing.

Doug

What machine are you talking about ?

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Doug

Yep, it is easy to balance out a signal in auto GB, and you need to assume that it's happening, because it is indeed quietening a deep, "whisper" type signal after working for center pinpoint in discrimination mode.

My Whites V3i experience taught me this scenario, and is why I quickly avoided auto.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'm lucky. Have tried this on numerous targets in my test garden. Deep, shallow, next to iron, clean, high conductor, low conductor - none of them "disappear" while in auto tracking. Auto tracking keys on mineralization changes not target signals. I have mentioned this many times before. I need to test this in a high mineralization site and see if that is the culprit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread