Equinox Ergonomics

Redbullwings

Jun 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I've been struggling with wrist and hand pain from swinging the Nox. I've tried adjusting the shaft to be shorter, longer and neither have helped. I've seen the aftermarket devices that attach on the handle of the nox to supposedly take some stress off you wrist...anyone use one? Any other suggestions? I've considered the Counterbalance shafts but don't know much about them or that would help. Thanks in advance

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard great things about Steve's Detector Rods. He is a supporting vendor here. The ergonomics issue is a known design flaw. The only way out is to send some cash to get a lower carbon fiber shaft. Adding weight probably won't help.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I had the same problem.
i went with Steve’s carbon fiber rod with the counterweight that offsets the weight of the coil. Steve’s is the only one with the counterweight.
also when holding the detecting don’t grab the handle hard. I grab mine lightly with my little finger below the shaft and my detector kinda floats in my hand like a spinning reel.
I think Minelab got the head angle shaft on wrong angle.
Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Redbullwings --

Counterweighting DOES help; in fact, it is the SOLUTION. It can entirely resolve hand/wrist pain. That may sound like a "sales pitch," or an "awfully bold statement," but it's the truth. It's that simple. A lighter "base" shaft, but then with weight added IN THE RIGHT PLACE (at the butt end, opposite the coil), is the solution to the issue. Physics will attest to this, as will dozens of my customers (some former skeptics). There's no "voodoo" here, no "snake oil" being peddled. It's just science; the fact is, the wrist is the focal point for stress, caused by a nose-heavy, imbalanced shaft (though forearm/elbow/shoulder/back pain can also result). I can explain it pretty easily, in a way that makes sense, but it's easier to do verbally, than via text. I may just do a video on this, since these ergonomic issues with the Equinox are easily explained, and yet are such a problem, for so many users. I can easily explain to anyone interested, why the pain and fatigue experienced by Equinox users occurs, and why counterweighting is the solution.

Let me know if I can be of assistance, and as I said, I'm always willing to explain the concepts to anyone who wants to understand the "hows" and "whys" of this whole thing.

Thanks,

Steve

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counter balance is the key. When I bought my Excal two years ago, the S shaft was a killer for me, constantly switching hands to relieve the stress. I went to my local marine store and bought 3/4"ID aluminum tube and mounted the controls behind my elbow. Made all the difference, can swing without changing arms. I have recently purchased a box 800 will soon be ordering a shaft from Steve

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrapped my handle with handle bar tape to make it bigger around now I get better balance and able to swing with very little pressure to the handle,, it has helped me alot...

Iv seen the device for the handle but to me it seems like the stress would be worse...

Roll of handle bar tape = 10$

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have you tried a detector buddy strap? I love mine it puts the weight on my shoulder.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve's carbon fiber shafts aren't much lighter than the stock Nox shaft but feel so much different. I can't explain why but it does. Better able to adjust the length too which I do often while detecting. Much more comfortable. I have the counter weight but haven't used it and didn't feel the need except when using the 15" coil, then once you get that configured to suit you, it handles like a dream. I have used a harness and that takes a bit of getting used to but can help as well. Keep it low and slow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a detector harness, takes weight off your arm and puts it on your shoulder.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, if I did that I'd probably wind up getting tangled in a tree!

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use Steve's rods (the only rods I'll use now and I've tried them all at one time or another) and the Pro Swing 45 harness. No perceived weight at all. Steve's counterweight system is the key. I use the harness primarily so that I can let go of the detector without having to sit it on the ground or beach. Just my system of creature comfort. Your view of the battlefield may vary. :thumbsup:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I may understand a harness in the serf but on land I don’t think I could be harnessed like a horse but that’s just me.
At a seed hunt yesterday I and a couple detecting friend their had a chance to compare Nox detectors with and without Steve’s fiber shaft and counterweight and wow I didn’t realize how unbelievable it is without the counterweight. That actually surprised me how much difference it made.
Donut/Doug

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I may understand a harness in the serf but on land I don’t think I could be harnessed like a horse but that’s just me.
At a seed hunt yesterday I and a couple detecting friend their had a chance to compare Nox detectors with and without Steve’s fiber shaft and counterweight and wow I didn’t realize how unbelievable it is without the counterweight. That actually surprised me how much difference it made.
Donut/Doug

I don’t see a harness working in the water. It would bug the heck out of me being all slung up in the water. In the water your detector is almost weightless it’s just the drag that’s hard on your wrist, elbow and shoulder. If you need a harness for that light of a detector then maybe it’s just the ergonomics of the Equinox that bothers you.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
It’s not me that is using a harness. It’s Treasure-Hunter above.
I am using Steve’s shaft with the counterweight and I don’t have any pain of fatigue while detecting.

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not me that is using a harness. It’s Treasure-Hunter above.
I am using Steve’s shaft with the counterweight and I don’t have any pain of fatigue while detecting.

Due to tearing up both shoulders in a car accident (and surgery), based on what I found on this site and and online, I designed and made my own harness/strap. It works great. The full support of the unit is carried by the harness and all I have to do is swing the unit back and forth. The bottom end of the harness is made of small bungee cords so there is some give and spring. Plus, when I find something I just swing the unit to my side and I can bend over without my unit falling into the dirt/sand/water. It is great in the water, as I do not have to worry about the head falling into the water. I can use my unit for hours with little to no fatigue

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the harness on land and in the water. When you bend down your detector lays down and when you stand up it's pulled back up with you. It's tight in close to your body and doesn't snag.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Due to tearing up both shoulders in a car accident (and surgery), based on what I found on this site and and online, I designed and made my own harness/strap. It works great. The full support of the unit is carried by the harness and all I have to do is swing the unit back and forth. The bottom end of the harness is made of small bungee cords so there is some give and spring. Plus, when I find something I just swing the unit to my side and I can bend over without my unit falling into the dirt/sand/water. It is great in the water, as I do not have to worry about the head falling into the water. I can use my unit for hours with little to no fatigue

I made something similar and I agree that it makes for effortless swinging. Not a replacement for counterweight but used with.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an Etrac and tried the harness and it didn't work for me. I just toughed it out and got used to it and after awhile I didn't notice. With the Equinox I thought it was a bit awkward at 1st and still do in a way but it's lite enough it don't bother me. The last thing I want to do is add counter weight. I adjusted the cuff position and that helped but I only go out for 2 hours at a time and that's because at 75 I am wore out by then

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrapped my handle with handle bar tape to make it bigger around now I get better balance and able to swing with very little pressure to the handle,, it has helped me alot...

Iv seen the device for the handle but to me it seems like the stress would be worse...

Roll of handle bar tape = 10$

Vet wrap bandage tape works very well on detector grips. I wrapped my torn Explorer grip a few years ago and it's great. May even be great over the handlebar tape. It's cheap enough to be worth a try.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steves rod user here...very happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread