Noisy 600

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my 600 for at least 3 years and the last 3 or 4 times I have use it , it makes more noise than my AT pro I have tried everything to settle it down nothing works, and I have detected these areas for years, any tips or do I just send it in to have it checked. Thanks

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
You said you everything. ?? Pattern, settings.
also describe area.
many things can cause interference.
wifi.
Cell phone
overhead wiring. Underground.
microwave.
Doug

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I almost forgot. It was sunny out the wind was comming out of the south , I was trying not to bore you with every single detail I have detected in these areas for years, with this 600 on a river no cell phone no wires no town near, I guess I was hoping you maybe thought I know this machine after 3 + years . Sorry I think I gave TMI

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Is the wire flopping from the coil to the shaft. It has metal in it and if it is moving the detectors thinks it’s a target.

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no it’s secure but I will wiggle it to see if gets a signal

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What sensitivity are you running, & have you upgraded to Version 3 yet?

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have not upgraded yet, however Donut has touched on something , I went outside and wiggled the wire connection at the coil and every wiggle gets a signal

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the manufacturer. They may have some additional insights.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Dose it settle down of you just secure the cable to the shaft and up about a foot. You don’t want to over secure the cable as it still need to move if you tilt the coil.
also the connection to the head unit snug
Doug

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you removed the coil cover and cleaned out the accumulated debris?

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coil connection failed in less than 2 years. It failed at the connection of the wire and the coil. Any bump would bounce the sound all around and show a number 39/40. Made it impossible to detect to with. Minelab replaced it free of charge but I paid shipping on my end from me to them. If you go this route, make sure you register the new serial # so its covered under warranty once again.

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have , I just sent the detector in to Minelab. Also Donut wanted to know if the Wire was connected to the shaft, and yes it is connected properly. Thankyou

PapaKins

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2017
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox-600, ancient Tesoro, Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a timely topic for me. I've had my 600 for a couple of years and, admittedly, I don't get out with it very often but my outings have been productive and the machine has functioned well. My daughter and her husband have purchased a piece of land that has a turn-of-the-19th-century with a clearly identified trade road running through it. Also, there is a site on which a mill of some sort was situated - on a riverbank. I'm spending quite a bit of time on the land detecting and snooping in the river for gold. Enough background.

I was on the land on Saturday and took my 600. I have updated the firmware. I had not checked the connection at the unit head. When I turned on the detector it started chattering. I tried everything I know to get it to quite down but it was like a parliament of magpies. I finally took it back to the truck and got out my old Tesoro for a good hour of detecting with my grandkids.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apparently have two user names on TN and the one in the post above is incorrect ... my real user name is Stringtyer (from my hobby of doing decorative, nautical knotwork). I want to re-post the previous post under my correct username. Please forgive the redundancy ...

This is a timely topic for me. I've had my 600 for a couple of years and, admittedly, I don't get out with it very often but my outings have been productive and the machine has functioned well. My daughter and her husband have purchased a piece of land that has a turn-of-the-19th-century with a clearly identified trade road running through it. Also, there is a site on which a mill of some sort was situated - on a riverbank. I'm spending quite a bit of time on the land detecting and snooping in the river for gold. Enough background.

I was on the land on Saturday and took my 600. I have updated the firmware. I had not checked the connection at the unit head. When I turned on the detector it started chattering. I tried everything I know to get it to quite down but it was like a parliament of magpies. I finally took it back to the truck and got out my old Tesoro for a good hour of detecting with my grandkids.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any suggestions.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presuming you took all the routine actions to minimize EMI and ground noise, namely noise cancel, ground balance, reduce sensitivity to reduce chatter, run a quieter search mode (if necessary), run a quiet single frequency setting (hail mary move in bad EMI conditions like a dog fence). Sometimes this happens after an update, a factory reset should clear it up. If not, reset and d/ l again, install and reset before use. You will have to redo any customizations and re-pair your wireless headphones, but it avoids any corruption to settings caused by the update process. Normally you shouldn't have to reset, but if you do end up with a post update issue, the factory reset usually helps provided you don't have an actual hardware problem (coil, cable, connector, control head). HTH.

Last edited:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revisiting this thread to let y'all know that I did a factory reset of my EQ-600 and it has quieted down and is working just fine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revisiting this thread to let y'all know that I did a factory reset of my EQ-600 and it has quieted down and is working just fine.

Thanks for checking back in on the resolution. Glad my suggestion helped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread