Simple Counterweight Mod Using Your Clad!

Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after using my Equinox 800 at the beach and park hunting last weekend, my body was feeling it. My wrist, forearms, and even collarbone were sore. I figured I needed a counterweight for my shaft but since I don’t feel like spending any more money on this machine, I decided to use stuff that I already have at home. So without further ado, here’s my simple mod.

You’ll need:

2 rolls of quarters
Duct tape
3-5 zip ties

Wrap each roll of quarters with duct tape so that the ends are covered. Then duct tape the two rolls together. Hold the combined rolls underneath the end of the upper shaft and secure with them with zip ties.

That’s it! Now I know some people have longer arms so you may not have as much room at the end of the upper shaft. Feel free to mod it to accommodate your needs. The two rolls of quarters add about 1lb of counterweight. Add as many coins as you like until it’s perfectly balanced for you.

Enjoy! IMG_7499.jpg
IMG_7500.jpg
IMG_7501.jpg
IMG_7504.jpg

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, looks like a great idea. Let us know how well it works.

OP
OP
AllmetalDetectorist
Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, looks like a great idea. Let us know how well it works.

It works amazingly well. My initial design was cutting a pool noodle and fitting the two rolls inside and then sliding it on at the end. Only problem with that design is that it needed a support at the bottom because the noodle was bending with all the weight. I stuck with my current design because it was less obtrusive and you easily add more coin rolls as needed. It wasn’t perfectly balanced with just the two rolls but it was definitely a major improvement.

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea. Would love to see the face of a detectorist finding the roll of coins if you ever lost it.
My simple solution wasn't as sophisticated. Just a length of gal pipe cut to weight that suited me slipped onto arse of upper tube.
View attachment 1862435

Attachments

• 20200910_105435.jpg
    20200910_105435.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
OP
AllmetalDetectorist
Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea. Would love to see the face of a detectorist finding the roll of coins if you ever lost it.
My simple solution wasn't as sophisticated. Just a length of gal pipe cut to weight that suited me slipped onto arse of upper tube.
View attachment 1862435

I actually thought about using a galvanized pipe fitting too. Now that I think about it, lead fishing sinkers might also be used instead of rolls of quarters.

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually thought about using a galvanized pipe fitting too. Now that I think about it, lead fishing sinkers might also be used instead of rolls of quarters.
That sounds great! It'd be compact, cheap! I've got a swag of sinkers piling up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread