Can VID number help identify metal content of ring?

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple very similar ladies rings I've found along a river. They were both found in the wet sand about 6" down near rivers edge. One ring with a small clear stone was totally black, and when cleaned up was clearly marked with 925 on the inside to identify it as sterling silver. It weighs 21.5 grains and gave a VID number of 19-20 on my Equinox 800 at Park 2. The second ring weighs 25.7 grains, has a small red stone and had no markings inside. The color of the metal is very similar to the silver ring, but did not need to be cleaned up. The metal was still bright. It gives a VID number of 10-11. I would think that some type of precious metal would be identified, so with that VID number, is there an educated guess of what the metal may be.
Lamar

925 sterling.JPG Ring no. 2.jpg

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the First ring rang up silver, high tone as it should. Second ring has a mid tone which would signify possible gold or white gold which can be similar in color to silver. Is there a 14K or something similar inscribed on the inside of the second ring?

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Second ring is too low to be stainless, could be white gold but you need to test it.
Also could be something called nickel silver or sometimes German silver...usually marked as such but sometimes not.
A misnomer, marked that way to sell them but no actual silver in them.
An alloy with nickel so it fits that VDI but I have found a few and they don't usually come up clean as you described.
Hoping for gold, let us know.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's wise to bet on a VID to identify a metal. It's better to get one of those $15 testing kits. There are so many metals out there used in jewelry today, a piece of jewelry could ring up a lot of places.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Where is the best place to look for a testing kit?
Lamar

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see in your photo, the second ring looks plated to me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TID numbers are based on conductivity of the target, different metals with the same conductivity and relative size will come up close to same TID numbers.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the ring looks plated. If it was gold it would be stain free. The second ring looks as if the plating is coming off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread