Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you this....i still got some time on those warranties. Im gonna go into the ocean with my advertised 10 ft. Machines every day I hunt....just like always. Ill send them back as fast as they pop......well see just how long they last. I will limit my depth to 5 ft. Thats with the machine resting on the bottom while I fan out targets.....yes I can hold my breath a long time !! I hunt 90% in the water and I'm not to sure everyone realizes how different hunting in the keys is. Rarely can you ever use a scoop here due to reef, rock, coral, and sea fans and soft corals and sponges. Its a different style of hunting that demands you snorkel. The machine must be set aside on the bottom while you work so im giving these machines more than most waders will in terms of submersion. That being said im not going past half the rated depth. Mine lab will probably get sick of hearing from me but I refuse to baby this machine....which I already am if im sticking to half its rated depth. Now I'm done playing.....i will test these machines in the water like never before. They should be sponsoring me and sending me new machines to test !!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you this....i still got some time on those warranties. Im gonna go into the ocean with my advertised 10 ft. Machines every day I hunt....just like always. Ill send them back as fast as they pop......well see just how long they last. I will limit my depth to 5 ft. Thats with the machine resting on the bottom while I fan out targets.....yes I can hold my breath a long time !! I hunt 90% in the water and I'm not to sure everyone realizes how different hunting in the keys is. Rarely can you ever use a scoop here due to reef, rock, coral, and sea fans and soft corals and sponges. Its a different style of hunting that demands you snorkel. The machine must be set aside on the bottom while you work so im giving these machines more than most waders will in terms of submersion. That being said im not going past half the rated depth. Mine lab will probably get sick of hearing from me but I refuse to baby this machine....which I already am if im sticking to half its rated depth. Now I'm done playing.....i will test these machines in the water like never before. They should be sponsoring me and sending me new machines to test !!

Im guessing you have had failure do to water egress after the supposed pressure test? is this true?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is an ATpro ? ? ?

:P~~~

Heard of em... never owned or used one... never even seen one.

CZ21 is the only detector I have never owned but wanted to.

ARC I respect what you have to say and feel you have alot more experience then I...Thank you for sharing you knowledge...:icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ive got 2 now...so im gonna keep sending it back and work that warranty as many times as they'll except it. I've been busy so I haven't had time to mess with sending it back. Ive got over the discouragement of it flooding and have come to the conclusion that its just a part of owning these machines. I look at these machines as a tool.....if i buy a bandsaw to complete a 10,000$ job....then its paid off and if it breaks on the first cut of the next job I'm not to mad.....give it away or throw it out its paid for itself 5 times over and it time to get a new one. I feel the same with the EQX. The machines get the goods.....both machines were paid off in finds very shortly, and in just 3 hunts this summer I had 6 gold rings and 3 silvers. At this point I'm good with them sending me replacements. I know exactly what these machines are......i have commented on multiple threads about this problem....its not even worth arguing with the fine people here at t-net over the ins and outs of this machines pros and cons.....i love the performance.....im not impressed with its durability. Just thought I'd let everyone know that I had another failure. As soon as I get the replacement back it will go right back in the ocean. To be clear the machine was resting on the bottom in 4 feet while I fan targets, well below its rated depth.

That's a great less stressful way to look at things ; I admire that quality in you.

As for the machine , well I kinda stepped out of the detecting world in late June 2019 , & then the EQ -800 / 600 was "the bees knees " glad I did not get one ( tho I would have used it on land mostly ) .

That said I hope they get it right for your sake and everyone else's .

GD

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the Knox because it's supposed to be water proof. I use it all the time in the lakes around here. I'm not easy on detectors, they go out year round, snow, ice ,sleet and heat. I read your not supposed to do anything special on the Knox to take it in the water. I probably have 75 hours at least in the lakes and no leaks or problems yet. I wonder how many people are having the same result with a good working unit? Anyone else have a unit that works as described?

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many people are having the same result with a good working unit? Anyone else have a unit that works as described?

Mine worked great in the water...until it didn't! lol. I had fully submerged it about a dozen or so times without issue. Then one day I went to use it and saw water under the screen and error messages. I returned it August 18th, and got the replacement back yesterday. The ML rep told me that even though we are seeing a lot more of the water ingress issues, it's still less than 1% of all units sold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Knox because it's supposed to be water proof. I use it all the time in the lakes around here. I'm not easy on detectors, they go out year round, snow, ice ,sleet and heat. I read your not supposed to do anything special on the Knox to take it in the water. I probably have 75 hours at least in the lakes and no leaks or problems yet. I wonder how many people are having the same result with a good working unit? Anyone else have a unit that works as described?

Yup, I would be on that list.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ML rep told me that even though we are seeing a lot more of the water ingress issues, it's still less than 1% of all units sold.

Well now... this doesn't sound like a really "major" problem at 1%...

Although I must wonder if this percentage is accurate.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now... this doesn't sound like a really "major" problem at 1%...

Although I must wonder if this percentage is accurate.

What percentage of nox users actually take there nox in the water...1%:dontknow:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What percentage of nox users actually take there nox in the water...1%:dontknow:

thank you toe !! Thats what im wondering. If only 10% ever take theres in the water....well....then we have a problem Houston !! I realize now some of get wet much more than others !! Some people water hunt a few times a year....others a few times a month....and then some of us get wet almost every time !! And yes I grabbed a 10% number right out of thin air with nothing but my gut feeling....i have no idea what that number should be. I like being able to transition right out of the water to dry sand and back in to head deep....like i can with an excal. And I still can with an excal. I like the light weight and higher tech features of the eqx also. They are the one that called this machine waterproof to 10 feet....im the one trying unsuccessfully to use it in its as advertised environment and conditions. Wish it worked as advertised. I still have no buyers remorse....but i do understand the weak point and limitations of the machine now. You know even superman couldnt stand next to the kriptonite to long.....he was still one hell of a superhero !!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I mailed mine in. It arrived Tuesday and I got a shipping notice Weds am. They took one look and send me a NEW CONTROL POD. I done blewed 'er up good. While I am thankful they honored the waaranty no questions asked, I'm going to need to get the excal back up n running since its apparent the nox will not be able to do what I want it to do without risk of drowning. That said she found her price tag worth of goodies n more before she croaked. I still don't understand why there are speaker holes . I'm thinking of putting a vacuseal bag bag over the whole pod before mounting it almost like a diving bell. The obvious problem with this is the penetrations where the cords and screws go through. I'll let you guys know if I have any success. It may not be feasible but its worth some investigation.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, use the snot out of it. The warranty begins at your original purchase date, NOT the date you got the new control head. In the meantime use it. If it does ANYTHING odd send it back immediately before the warranty runs out. Then I would either use it as a strictly land machine or sell it and get something else.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't and wouldn't. It's clear Minelab is making a false claim and they'd be wise to not claim it. The Deus isn't waterproof either, difference is, they don't claim it's waterproof so they aren't hurting their reputation.

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
I have often thought of getting an 800 Nox. But the Courier expense of having to send the control box back to Minelab if it floods has put me off.
Although I have yet to see one in the water where I detect. I personally don't think ML is worried about the warranty claims... How many companies are giving a 3 year warranty on a water machine? and keep replacing the control head each time it floods. Three companies Plexus/ML and the retailer are all making money from the $900 odd an 800 costs. I wouldn't be surprised if they cost less than $200 to manufacture. ML has not made a detector in ages, they only make the money. They leave the manufacturing to Plexus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread