cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What search mode are you using? You should be using Beach 2

OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tried both, beach 1 and 2. Machine is fine on dry sand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach 2 is what I use on wet sand usually and have you tried manual ground balancing? Also are you very near any hotels, it could be RF interference from something close like antenna. Make sure your coil cable is also hand tight and the cable is wrapped around the shaft. Also do you have a cell phone turned on?

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ok I did some checking for you from someone that detects in souther Florida.
Sensitivity maximum 18.
always noise cancel underwater.
All metal always.
Beach 1 is more sensitive to gold.
Beach 2 only in water.
hope that helps.
Doug

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also make sure your cable from coil starts the wrap around front of shaft not the back, your coil can pick up the wire in the cable.

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my cable straight up the shaft for the first 12" then I start my coils to box. I use the velcro tie wraps to hold everything in place. Seems to be working great so far. I was told by minelab to do it this way on my Ext 505, also Tesoro suggested this way on my Sand shark. Any pro and con's for doing it this way. I'm always open for suggestions.

OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the help. I'm heading to the beach on Monday. I'll let you know.
I will keep my cell phone on airplane mode.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use my phone routinely during detecting to record my finds, track my site coverage, and to stay in comms with my buddies on the hunt. The key is to keep your cell phone away from the control head. If that is not possible, then by all means put your phone into airplane mode. The Beach modes should be the most stable of all the modes on the Nox. Beach 1 on dry and wet sand. Beach 2 in the surf and submerged. If you are getting chatter only in the wet sand, ML suggests you switch Ground Balance to tracking to make sure it tracks the varying salinity and possible black sand that causes ground phase variations in the surf, but that should primarily cause ground noise, it is unusual for it to cause overall chatty behavior. When you are getting chatter, put your coil in the air to see if it is airborne EMI (in that case noise cancel) or ground noise/chatter. Even if you use GB tracking, you should start out by ensuring your detector is properly ground balanced. Note that each mode (i.e., Beach 1 AND Beach 2) need to be noise cancelled and ground balanced separately. If you noise cancel in Beach 1 and then shift to Beach 2 without noise cancelling, then you may get chatter. Good luck.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have either a ground balance problem or maybe a faulty coil. I guess you could also have a strange software glitch, but, I find that least likely. You could always revert back to an earlier version to test however. Noise cancel won't do anything underwater, and if there is no EMI, will have no effect on land either. Since it works fine in the dry, it's not EMI related or you would have the same problem there too. Same with the cell phone. Usually, a higher recover speed (and slower sweep speed) helps in the wet, especially if there is lots of black sand. Your sensitivity settings look ok for most beaches I've hunted. I haven't had to reduce it to under 15 anywhere yet, but, I suppose there will be times when that has to happen. I can sometimes run 22 here, but, mostly 20 is max before I get some chatter. The way I wrap the coil doesn't seem to make any difference on my machine, or where I use it. Which coil are you using and do you have another to try to see if that is the problem?

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh, another thing, don't tighten your coil bolts to tight, keep them a little loose but tight enough to stop coil from floping around. Good luck, let us know how you did. I'm heading to the beach, I hope this Saturday comming.

OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all replies. I re ran the power cord about half way straight up the shaft before winding around the shaft, big help.
Also found noise cancelling twice helped as well. I did discover that there are video cameras in the area
showing current beach conditions.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, some people forget that the coil cover should be removed and cleaned of sand periodically. I get a lot of sand in mine and it will definitely chatter unless cleaned. Good luck!

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all replies. I re ran the power cord about half way straight up the shaft before winding around the shaft, big help.
Also found noise cancelling twice helped as well. I did discover that there are video cameras in the area
showing current beach conditions.

If you are in salt water contact your settings should change. By changing your settings you will be able to run higher sensitivity.

Get out of all metal......way too chirpy with water contact any where anytime!.

Auto tracking ground balance a must, Recovery 5-6, IB 5-6. For "iffy" signals set your user profile however you want to double check targets.

I have done this for a long time. Very rarely am I ever convinced to dig a target by a perceived more friendly user program. When it has changed my mind there has never been anything of value.

The Equinox is a VERY powerful discriminator. TRUST IT!!!!

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run Orom bias zero in every single mode.

5-6 runs s huge chance of making a goid target spund iffy or bad.

Matt.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed you run ground balance at 0. It should be on auto tracking in beach modes.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always the usual first - check coil connections, clean out under the coil cover and running the coil line up sounds great. You can expect some chatter from the RF, wifi, black sand etc. All those other blips are deep gold baby. If all that fails I've heard it suggested in an earlier post here to change the coolant in the coil but don't believe everything you read lol.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run Orom bias zero in every single mode.

5-6 runs s huge chance of making a goid target spund iffy or bad.

Matt.

I find this to not be true in salt water. In fact too low of iron bias can unstable the machine depending on black sand. Again I urge users to use their user profile to double check iffy targets. If you think you are walking past gold running IB of 4-6 you are just mistaken.

Dave

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread