gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought from Steve for the primary purpose of not having to dismount coils every time I switch between the 6, 11 and 15” coils. The visual upgrade was a nice side benefit. Steve is a wealth of knowledge and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

View attachment 1894703

The whole business of extra shafts for extra coils was pretty much necessitated by the Minelab explorer series where one has to thread the coil wire up inside the shaft which is a bit of a pain. Then users of other machines seemed to think it was necessary to use extra shafts for ease of coil changes, it isn't. Otherwise I just don't understand why folks find it so hard to undo one plastic bolt to change coils. I have several detectors with several coils each and only the Safari has extra shafts for the coils since the wire has to go up inside the shaft, the others are just too easy to swap coils without extra shafts. I mean, you still gotta wrap the coil wire whether you have an extra shaft or not and when you change a shaft you have to re-adjust the length. I bet I can change a coil faster without an extra shaft on most detectors and my length never needs adjustment. Just logic. I have also never broken a coil ear in fifty years of detecting, it only happens from over tightening the coil bolt so ear breakage is no excuse for needing extra shafts.

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 600 and I have never used the Original shaft that came with the machine. I drive a very small sports car. The standard shaft would need to be taken down to the three parts to fit( too much work). I use the Tele-nox carbon fiber telescoping shaft. this thing is great. from full size down to 23-24 inches.:occasion14: 63391056791__1CBFE47F-D36E-43AB-8370-54D9DBD3000C.jpeg 63390968135__EC867DA3-E3A9-43D5-B3A1-C9E5CB394342.jpeg

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole business of extra shafts for extra coils was pretty much necessitated by the Minelab explorer series where one has to thread the coil wire up inside the shaft which is a bit of a pain. Then users of other machines seemed to think it was necessary to use extra shafts for ease of coil changes, it isn't. Otherwise I just don't understand why folks find it so hard to undo one plastic bolt to change coils. I have several detectors with several coils each and only the Safari has extra shafts for the coils since the wire has to go up inside the shaft, the others are just too easy to swap coils without extra shafts. I mean, you still gotta wrap the coil wire whether you have an extra shaft or not and when you change a shaft you have to re-adjust the length. I bet I can change a coil faster without an extra shaft on most detectors and my length never needs adjustment. Just logic. I have also never broken a coil ear in fifty years of detecting, it only happens from over tightening the coil bolt so ear breakage is no excuse for needing extra shafts.

gunsil your wording rubs me the wrong way. "I just don't understand why folks..." "I bet I can change a coil faster without an extra shaft..."
Why say things like that? If you don't want to use extra shafts, don't.
If you think that you don't need them because you're good at changing coils, great.

But some of us were dropping the little plastic nut that goes onto the little plastic bolt every time we changed the coil (and watching it roll under the car, saying "wow if I lose that I can't detect").
And some of us zip-tie the wrapped coil to the extra shaft so that we only have to wrap it 2 times instead of 4 times when we change coils.
And some of us appreciate the slightly lesser weight of the carbon fiber shafts, and the ability to attache a counterweight.
And some people (not me) like different colors.

There are a bunch of reasons why people may want extra shafts. Just because you don't doesn't mean that those other people are wrong.

Brian

AceofBases

Jan 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Deus II, MI-6, Manticore, Equinox 800, Pro Find 35, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole business of extra shafts for extra coils was pretty much necessitated by the Minelab explorer series where one has to thread the coil wire up inside the shaft which is a bit of a pain. Then users of other machines seemed to think it was necessary to use extra shafts for ease of coil changes, it isn't. Otherwise I just don't understand why folks find it so hard to undo one plastic bolt to change coils.

You know what's great about all this? You don't need to understand why others do what they do, just as the opposite is true. You do you, buddy. We don't need your understanding nor judgement here. :occasion14:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. then fella's. I had ordered and just yesterday received the new shafts from Steve's. I seldom use the word "impressed" when dealing with or ordering from any outfit, but impressed is what I felt after dealing with Steve with the back and forth E-Mails. He does have attention to detail, and I did opt for the counter weight, and he wanted a little extra information to be sure the weight would be right for me. Switched over today, it does feel good, and when it stops raining in a few days, will take it out for a test drive. I did order the "red/black" rods, but looking at the black on the counter weight part, I MAY order another upper shaft in the black, for no reason other then it looks damn good. By the way all, I ALSO did order a second shaft for the 6" coil, the second lower shaft worked so well on the Safari for me, looking at this "quick release" type lock on this two piece set up will make it easy to switch coils, not that removing the bolt and switching coils themselves is such a hard thing to do, just saves wear and tear on the bolt and coil ears, and because I simply wanted one. I did look at other brands, but unless I missed it, Steve's MAY be the only one that offers that counter weight option. If I am wrong, I've little doubt that someone will jump to tell me I'm wrong. All things considered, I have no buyers remorse, which puts me in agreement with most others on this thread.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sprailroad --

THANKS for the great review, I appreciate it and a really glad you are pleased! If you'd like a second (black) upper, just let me know!

THANK YOU!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I agree. It’s so much easier to just change shafts. He’s forgetting all the ware and tear on the fittings and on the wires and.
When someone talks negative just ignore them it’s not worth. I change coils often because of changing conditions.
You will always get people like that and they are the best people to not take any recommendations from.
live been detecting for over 50 years. And know the Knox better than most.
Doug
ps; Steve’s a carbon shafts are top quality and the removable counterweight is a must. It works so well when I go into the water I have to remove it because I can’t keep the coil down on the bottom.
Steve is a great guy to work with.
Doug.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug, thank you for the kind words! I appreciate your support!

Steve

El_Cid_2000

Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a Steve's for Christmas of '19 and it transformed my 600. No more sloppy shaft movement, easily adjustable length, and carbon fiber is sexy. I got mine with the threaded end cap but haven't bought the counterweight system yet, just wanted to be prepared when the time comes.

I can't say enough good things about this shaft.

bullnose

Jan 21, 2019
Clinton County Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add me to the list of those recommending Steve's Detector Rods. Great product and customer service. A+ on both counts.

Get the counterweight and Herke cuff while you are at it. You'll be glad you did.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
El Cid 2000 and bullnose --

Thank you both for the support! I appreciate it, and appreciate your business! Always happy to do my best to make detecting more enjoyable for my customers!

Steve

High Noon

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TELE-KNOX Telescopic Carbon Shaft all the way! Mine just arrived from England and can’t be more impressed! And I’m not easily impressed anymore.... The anti rotation channel is very important and how it easily slides down to fit in a compact travel case. Additional cool items come with the well packed package.

Check it out: https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/

High Noon

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Telenox is the worst pile of crap u cud ever invest in

High Noon

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TELE-KNOX Telescopic Carbon Shaft all the way!

Thought I’d add a few photos of this fantastic Tele- Knox carbon shaft. The anti rotation groove totally prevents ANY twisting! Like I said at my age I’m not easily impressed...and this shaft totally exceeded my expectations!

High Noon

2E0A6A79-5E2B-455A-B823-49784E6889BE.jpeg

27A7C7CB-1392-4034-A3E9-0BEB526FB396.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I’d add a few photos of this fantastic Tele- Knox carbon shaft. The anti rotation groove totally prevents ANY twisting! Like I said at my age I’m not easily impressed...and this shaft totally exceeded my expectations!

High Noon

Let us know how it holds up. Hopefully they have made some improvements since I got mine 2 years back. Never could get the cam locks tight enough to prevent shaft sliding even after installing upgraded fasteners. There were no physical stops preventing the tubes from separating (they would just pull apart about the same time you reached the overextension warning markings). The CF tube edges were rough, sharp and not smoothed down and the last straw, just this past weekend, one of the camlock collars separated from the epoxy holding it to the shaft. When I first got the Teleknox, I needed them to ship a new upper assembly because the mounting holes for the stock armrest were drilled improperly. To their credit, they did that without question and shipped me additional spare hardware. Overall, workmanship and durability were sub par on the some of the early units from my personal experience. Also, my personal preference is that rotation should be allowed to enable the control head to be rotated to the side when in transit.

Anyway, enough of my Teleknox woes.
Let us know how it goes with yours after you break it in and put it through some real world punishment. Hoping they have learned from their earlier experience and have upped their game because I like the collapsible telescoping shaft concept for packing the Equinox into remote locations.

Last edited:

High Noon

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tel-Nox exceeding my expectations!

vferrari,

I certainly will and let me say I have “no dog in this hunt” and don’t know any of the shaft manufacturers personally. I simply looked at every model I could find and settled on the Tel-Nox carbon fiber shaft for two reasons, the full length groove in the shaft to prevent any twisting and provide more strength and the collapsible feature for traveling which I plan on doing. I have also been in the precision design, manufacturing and publishing business most of my adult life and fully understand improving and updating a product. A good example of this is the Morgan 3 Wheeler which was introduced in 2011 and had quite a few early problems but my 2017 is much improved. Sometimes it takes some time to mature the design to be its best....I bet the folks at Minelab are never quite satisfied and improving their product line as well!

I can assure everyone that this Tel-Nox carbon fiber shaft is a top quality product and I am quite pleased!

High Noon

Attachments

• 30038E07-A2A1-4AFF-8D58-C999A394B689.jpeg
    30038E07-A2A1-4AFF-8D58-C999A394B689.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread