Received My New Equinox 800

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my new Equinox 800 earlier this week on Monday. After carefully unpacking it and reading the assembly instructions, I got it all assembled and put the unit, wireless headsets and wireless receiving unit on charge. After everything finished charging I reviewed the quick start guide, set the detector to Park 1 mode and ran some targets past the search coil. With a pen and piece of paper, I took notes of the numbered readout that each target read. I even took notes of what junk targets like bottlecaps and pull tabs read. Because of a doctor appointment I had to make, I wasn't able to take the detector out for a test hunt in my yard until Wednesday. Although I extensively pounded my front and back yards previously with my T2SE and Legacy 3500, I still managed to find one clad dime, a huge nut, pull tabs, a bottlecap, screws, nails and more of these small metal jewelry beads that I keep finding with my other detectors. The next day Thursday, I took my Nox to the local park for a short 1 hour field test. Using the factory park 1 setting, I managed to find 3 clad dimes, 2 nickels, 1 zinc cent, 2 pull tabs, a bottle cap, can slaw and some wadded up aluminum foil. A very enjoyable outing at the park and a very successful short 1 hour hunt.
My first impression of the Equinox 800 is that it is not as intimidating as many have said. Sure, like any new detector it has a learning curve...however the controls are fairly easy to learn. I notice that the on/off button is very stiff and requires a hard push to turn on and off. So hard to turn on that... it did a factory reset and I had to re pair my blue tooth headsets to the Nox. Guess it will just take some getting used to. However...So far I love my Equinox 800 and the honeymoon has begun!!!

Last edited:

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had my 800 for 1 1/2 years and all’s can say is your gonna love it and you’ll find so many keepers together[emoji106]

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you are on the right track. It just takes time to learn what the machine is telling you.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had my 800 for 1 1/2 years and all’s can say is your gonna love it and you’ll find so many keepers together[emoji106]

So far I've really getting used to the detector's feel and it's quirks. I'm really getting fond of it. I can already anticipate the good times ahead.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are on the right track. It just takes time to learn what the machine is telling you.

I'm starting out just like when I started learning my other metal detectors...learning the controls...what each different target sounds like and reads and reading what others have learned and passed on, then applying the knowledge gained to improve on my skills. I really want to learn everything I can about the 800. So far, it's the best detector I've ever owned and I believe that it's the best one on the market for the money spent. No buyer's remorse here.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used mine shallow diving to inland relic hunting. Great all around machine with depth. I pulled one cw bullet at 13 inches. It was not load but repeatable.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My advice would be to initially refrain from extremely trashy areas so as to to be overwhelmed by the profusion of signals. This is a mistake I made.
The other advice would be to try using with lower sensitivity like 16-18 when in target rich areas
Good luck with it.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used mine shallow diving to inland relic hunting. Great all around machine with depth. I pulled one cw bullet at 13 inches. It was not load but repeatable.

Don't plan on diving with mine although that option is always open. Because of the fact that the unit can be submerged up to 10 feet, I don't have to sweat it if the unit gets accidently dunked while searching in the shallow water at the beach or checking out swimming areas or boat launch areas at local lakes

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice would be to initially refrain from extremely trashy areas so as to to be overwhelmed by the profusion of signals. This is a mistake I made.
The other advice would be to try using with lower sensitivity like 16-18 when in target rich areas
Good luck with it.

Trashy areas don't intimidate me. I'm a patient person so I'll take my time and dig up the trash too. After all, that trash just might be over the top of something good and masking it. However, if an area is too trashy, I will change over to the 6" coil and cherry pick once I get used to identifying all the junk signals. After I learn the detector I will start using some custom discrimination in my search programs.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trashy areas don't intimidate me. I'm a patient person so I'll take my time and dig up the trash too. After all, that trash just might be over the top of something good and masking it. However, if an area is too trashy, I will change over to the 6" coil and cherry pick once I get used to identifying all the junk signals. After I learn the detector I will start using some custom discrimination in my search programs.

I love mine, I use the 15x12" all the time except in the water. 50, horseshoe on. Once you get used to it you be able to distinguish between the different signals even in heavy trash. Practice trying to pull nickels out old high pull tab areas, once you can do this you should be good

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine, I use the 15x12" all the time except in the water. 50, horseshoe on. Once you get used to it you be able to distinguish between the different signals even in heavy trash. Practice trying to pull nickels out old high pull tab areas, once you can do this you should be good

Speaking of nickels, the 800 is a nickel magnet. This detector loves nickels. Even though pull tabs sound off in the nickel range, it seems that nickels have a clean signal whereas pull tabs don't always have a clean consistent signal to them.
BTW, I checked out the link that you posted. Very nice finds!!! Those are the kind of bucket listers that I hope to find with my Nox 800.

Last edited:

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your enjoying the Equinox! It’s a great machine. I remember detecting this yard with my 600, this one spot I had a real faint sharp signal. The signal was so faint I wasn’t even getting a VDI reading but still sounded almost like a faint silver tone. I decided to dig down about 10 inches and found a 1933 Mercury dime. Wasn’t expecting that. These machines really are top of the line. I have the 15x12 coming to do some field test with it. Happy hunting and good luck ��

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just purchased an 800, in fact it should arrive today!:headbang: I will use it mainly at the beach. it will have to wait a couple of weeks until my shoulder finishes healing but that will give me time to learn the machine and keep drooling over y'alls finds :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased an 800, in fact it should arrive today!:headbang: I will use it mainly at the beach. it will have to wait a couple of weeks until my shoulder finishes healing but that will give me time to learn the machine and keep drooling over y'alls finds :laughing7:

You'll really love using your 800. So far this detector has proven itself everything that the literature says. You'll also find that the Equinox 800 has a very enthusiastic user following. I love my Nox!!!

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your enjoying the Equinox! It’s a great machine. I remember detecting this yard with my 600, this one spot I had a real faint sharp signal. The signal was so faint I wasn’t even getting a VDI reading but still sounded almost like a faint silver tone. I decided to dig down about 10 inches and found a 1933 Mercury dime. Wasn’t expecting that. These machines really are top of the line. I have the 15x12 coming to do some field test with it. Happy hunting and good luck ��

Yes, while playing with mine at the bus stop across the street, I found a clad dime buried that deep. The Nox 800 loves deep dimes too! It's a dime magnet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread