Equinox leaking causes - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Equinox leaking causes

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    1138 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Steve, when I was using mine, you hadn't come up with the shafts yet.

I probably should watch the "Gremlins" movie again.
    Smokey -- I know, just pulling your chain!

Steve
    smokeythecat likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    86415 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Equinox leaking causes = BAD DESIGN.
    midalake likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - HAVE PERMISSION - FILL HOLES - DISPOSE OF TRASH. The Random Chat Thread---> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member

Aug 2014
    358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan(NM) View Post
    I spoke with one of the repair tech's at the Minelab repair center. I asked him about the leaking issue.

3 of the problems are with the battery compartment. One was the o-rings, second was the actual screw that held the battery door shut, cracking issue and 3rd was the one way bladder. Apparently the one way valve wasn't glued into place properly and was, from what I could gather, the biggest issue when it came to water intrusion.

He said there were quite a few failures with the new replacement pods when they did the pressure test before sending them to the customer.

I forgot to ask about the brass inserts, if that was an issue or not, he never brought it up. He never did mention anything about aftermarket shafts, more of a defective parts problem.
    Hi Dan

Had a friends machine with brass inserts problem. We had those inserts out. They dead end into the plactic housing of the Equinox. Unless there was serious cracking of plastic I see no way for water to get though that location. We re-epoxied his into place and now he uses a custom grip, not the pod for a grip.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37374 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would say if you REALLY want to get in the water get an Excalibur. That's what I just recommended to a friend who is on a quest to find a lost locket in a lake.
    AARC likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, Coiltek 10 x 5 Nox, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex(sold), Vanquish 540(sold), Vanquish 44. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett C
    1213 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    It finds the goods though, and is still the best all around detector I've ever used. If something happens to mine, I'd buy another in a heart beat.
    agree 100% and get a new 3 year warranty.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    1138 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by midalake View Post
    Had a friends machine with brass inserts problem. We had those inserts out. They dead end into the plactic housing of the Equinox. Unless there was serious cracking of plastic I see no way for water to get though that location. We re-epoxied his into place and now he uses a custom grip, not the pod for a grip.
    midalake -- exactly what it looked like to me, when I examined the inside of the handle. Those four inserts are inserted into solid plastic portions of the handle. And just as you said, without some SERIOUS cracking (which would not be expected), the brass inserts simply pulling free from the plastic would NOT be a place for water intrusion to occur. Whoever it was that made the statement initially, was -- in my opinion -- simply trying to deflect blame onto others, for what is clearly a Minelab issue...

Steve
    AARC likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links