Geologist(as a career)

DSRTXJ

Jun 3, 2008
Palm Springs, Ca
Anyone here a Geologist? I have about 2 years left of school and am considering majoring in it.

From what I have read, geologist's are in high demand as of now, but the demand for geologist is very up and down. If the demand for gold, oil, silver etc etc goes down then there are less jobs for geologists, right? The thought of being outside all the time exploring beautiful places taking samples, doing research is VERY intriguing to me. Especially the being outside part.

Any info is appreciated... Thanks,

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
No

Field geologists these days are rare compared to the past. Perhaps a mining company or geological survey . However, job
security has been and will be a major concern. That is why a lot of folks stick with the majors(oil companies). You also need a
Master's degree to get your foot in the door.

I don't regret my decision to remain in the field for over 30 years but I would not recommend it. Pick a major in which you can
pick up a Sunday newspaper and find 20 job positions you could interview for.

George

OP
OP
D

DSRTXJ

Jun 3, 2008
Palm Springs, Ca
bakergeol said:
No

Field geologists these days are rare compared to the past. Perhaps a mining company or geological survey . However, job
security has been and will be a major concern. That is why a lot of folks stick with the majors(oil companies). You also need a
Master's degree to get your foot in the door.

I don't regret my decision to remain in the field for over 30 years but I would not recommend it. Pick a major in which you can
pick up a Sunday newspaper and find 20 job positions you could interview for.

George

I'm not necessarily going for job security. I only live once and life is too short to worry about something that might or might not happen down the road. Life is an adventure, make the most of it! Right? If I am determined enough, I can always a have job in the career path I choose... I talked to the counselor at my school today and I have decided to Finish my degree in general Geology.

B

BIG61AL

You have to follow your own path...just be cafeful what you chose.....I can only laugh at the kids who took four years of typewriter repair in high school and wonder what they are doing now.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on the right track for achieving whatever you want. You are asking questions.
In my experience, it is best to ask different people the same thing, before forming any opinion on what the answer really is.
Mike

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSRTXJ,
I was in much the same boat you are in 30 years ago. After graduating from HS I got a job as a field assistant to a group of geologists in a remote town here in CO for a major mining company. That experience was awesome and decided when I "grew up" I wanted to be geologist. I spent about 6 years working towards a BS degree (during the mid 80's) as I was entering my senior year the oil market dropped and jobs had become very scarce. I changed my major to Land Use at that point (with a geological emphasis).
Anymore, competion is tight and the nature of the field is very cyclical. I would guess a Masters would help.
Good luck!
3xflyfisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions