Other

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
greydigger said:
Anyone know what a "second cousin" is? Or a third, or "once removed".

I think I got a handle on the cousin bit.
That's my Mom or Dad's brother or sisters child.
From there I get lost.

"I'm my own Grandpa" song got me to wondering.

Grey

Ok.....I have to explain this to my family everytime we have a reunion......LOL

You and your brother, of course are siblings.

Your son and his son are first cousins.

Your son has a son (your grandson)....this child is first cousin once removed from your brother's son.

Now, if your brothers son has a son...then both your grandson and your brothers grandson are second cousin.

When one of them has a child...they become second cousins once removed from their cousin.

Did I confuse you? I usually do...but then again, my family is very easy to confuse LOL

Looking for a chart to show you better...will post when I find it....
Annmarie

PS: Here's a good link for you: http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Annmarie,
That helped.
Does it go uphill also?
Barbara Bush was born with my last name.
Does that make her my aunt many times removed? or my cousin. LOL
Is age a factor?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I understand second cousins but once you get into the once removed thing I get confused too! lol

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cynangyl said:
I understand second cousins but once you get into the once removed thing I get confused too! lol

Just remember, if you are first, second, third cousins....their children to you are once, twice, three times removed....

you brother siblings
child nephew
child great nephew

you cousin 1st cousin
child 1st cousin once removed
child 1st cousin twice removed

you brother sibling
child child 1st cousins
child child 2nd cousins
child 2nd cousin once removed
child 2nd cousin twice removed

LOL........hard to do a chart like this on here..........

mcgearhead said:
My sister married our fourth cousin ! She was so sad and cried for days ! She thought she was going to have to get a divorce or something. But it was by marrage, from some one way back in the line, that it doesn't even matter that much.
It was kinda spooky at first, but now we just laugh about it !

My brother in law was dating this girl for two years, and one day I decided to ask her about her lineage (since she and he were getting real serious, thought I would get an early start on the family tree). Come to find out, I already had her in the family tree. She was 6th cousins once removed from my brother in law....it was ok to marry, but she did not feel comfortable! They didn't last much longer, not cause of that fact, but for other reasons.

My mother in law was making fun of my hubby's father's lineage....as my hubby is not only his father's son, but they are also 6th, 7th and 8th cousins (depending on which lineage you are looking at!). Not kidding either!!!!

Well, not to long after that, this woman contacted me about my maiden name and wanted to see if we were connected. While going through her GEDCOM file she sent me...I found family relations to my mother in law. I could NOT WAIT to go over to see her and LAUGH my butt off.....this woman's family tree had my mother in law's family in it and my mother in law was NOT ONLY the daughter to her mother, but 8th cousins as well! LMAO!!!!

Then recently, went to a family reunion at Ocean City (in August). We were meeting on the beach. Here I am in capri pants, shirt, carrying my metal detector and chair, scoop and pin pointer. I saw these two girls looking at me (not in that way!) and I smiled and keep walking looking for my cousins (by the way, I have not seen them in 25+ years....so I was looking for a needle in the haystack)...well, I found them and my 1st cousin says, "Have you seen Rosie yet?" (she is one of the girls I had smiled at). She comes up and starts laughing. I'm like..."HUH?" (that's not what I really said!). She said her and her sister were laughing, wondering why I was wearing pants and a shirt on the beach carrying a metal detector! I told her, "See, you got to be careful what you say, you never know if you are related or not!" LMAO....I haven't seen Rosie since she was like 4, I use to babysit her.

greydigger said:
Thanks Annmarie,
That helped.
Does it go uphill also?
Barbara Bush was born with my last name.
Does that make her my aunt many times removed? or my cousin. LOL
Is age a factor?

Your most welcomed....well, just cause her maiden name is the same as your surname....does not necessarily make you related. But if she is, then most likely you would be like a cousin so many times removed to her. Now, it all depends how she falls into your family tree...so you'll have to do some research to see where your families connect. Age isn't really a factor....as I said, it just depends where she falls into your family tree....but I would suspect a cousin of sort vs an aunt of sort.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
well my mom and her brother both married into the same family...they married folks that were cousins to each other.....that makes it pretty confusing...then add in that my cousin Susie was raised as my sister pretty much the whole time she was growing up...mom referred to us as "the other twins" because we were so close. So her Dad is my uncle (my mom's brother) and her mother is my dad's cousin....so she is related to me twice....then through some rough times she ended up being raised with us like she was a sister. I just refer to her as my sister cousin and explain she is my cousin but was raised in the same home as me like a sister....I do not even TRY to explain the whole double cousin thing! rofl

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Glad Ron and Ann explained this. I read the post that said:
Your son and his son are first cousins. Not correct, eventhough I know what it was trying to say.

. My sons son would be my sons son. My son and his son would not be cousins. (Kind of makes your head spin, doesen't it?)

Ray S

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ray S ECenFL said:
Glad Ron and Ann explained this. I read the post that said:
Your son and his son are first cousins. Not correct, eventhough I know what it was trying to say.

. My sons son would be my sons son. My son and his son would not be cousins. (Kind of makes your head spin, doesen't it?)

Ray S

I was talking in relation to HIM and HIS BROTHER....their sons' are first cousins!!! :) (glad you understood!). It is hard to make a diagram on here...as you can see by my post after that LOL

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
My wife's mother's second husband and my wife's first husband were full brothers. Youngest and oldest in a large family. That made them sisters-in-law. That also made her husband have the same woman as his sister-in-law and his mother-in-law. Luckily her mother didn't have any kids with that man or she would have been the aunt to her brothers and sisters. She said it was weird enough to be married to her uncle. This happenned in tennessee. I'm the third husband and we have been married 18 years so far.
On my side my father and his brother married my mother and her sister. We called the kids double cousins and the one who was closest to my age looked like me and we were called twin cousins. siegfried schlagrule

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
I have been reading this post about the confusing relationships and was reminded me of a similar thing that happened when
I was just a youngster. There was a widow that we knew that married a widower. One had a son, the other had a daughter.
A short time after the mother and dad got married, the son and daughter married each other.

That would create some confusing relationships after a few years. That happened in the upper penninsula and we left there a year later and moved to the area we now live in so don't know how things worked out after that.

Ray karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread