Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you beleive this ???

wkikpedia: Pumpkin chunking (or Punkin' Chunkin' or pumpkin chucking) is hurling a pumpkin by mechanical means over great heights and distances in an attempt to hurl the pumpkin the farthest. Pumpkin chucking competitions, formal and informal, exist throughout the United States in the fall, when pumpkins are harvested [1], and a European Championship has been held in Bikschote, Belgium since 2004.

In order of increasing effectiveness, the devices include compound slingshots, catapults, trebuchets, and pneumatic air cannons. The last has fired pumpkins as far as 4434.28 feet (1,351 meters).
The range achieved by devices greatly depends on their mass, shape, and size; the yield limits, stiffnesses, pitch, and elevation of the hurler; and the wind speed.

Some pumpkin chunkers grow special firm pumpkins for use as a projectile, since sabots are often prohibited in competitions. These special pumpkins are often not good for eating.

A usual rule is that the pumpkin must remain whole after leaving the device for the chunking to count. Pumpkins that burst after leaving the barrel intact are referred to as "pumpkin pie in the sky").

chunkin.jpg

There's more here http://www.goldenmirages.com/index.php?topic=144.msg217

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Yea, seen this before and wish i had the time/money for this type of play.

As kids we would make tennis ball cannons from steel soda/beer cans, miss the old days. :wink:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
YEEEEEHAW!!! :D its a Delaware redneck thing you wouldnt understand! haha! its actually a lot of fun to watch believe it or not! :wink:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
YEEEEEHAW!!! :D its a Delaware redneck thing you wouldnt understand! haha! its actually a lot of fun to watch believe it or not! :wink:

I'm curious as to why anything out of the ordinary gets tagged as "redneck" ? Is it because we , so-called rednecks, are the only people who actually strive to get out of the everyday ruts of life and enjoy ourselves in games that don't involve martini drinking? :icon_scratch:Hey! Tap that keg and pass the pumpkin. ;D

Lastly; it is a historical fact that there are no rednecks north of the Mason-Dixon Line or west of the Mississippi River. :icon_study:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nahhhhh it's just a term for " anyone " who indulges in the different, and let face it pumpkin launching is VERY different...LOL

PLL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
nahhhhh it's just a term for " anyone " who indulges in the different, and let face it pumpkin launching is VERY different...LOL

PLL

;D ;D Now wait a minute! That term covers too many things that cannot be written here without getting censored or "flushed" by the Mods. as well as some of the " edgier" subjects such as Christianity, Creationism, gun ownership, etc. Rednecks are not the only folks that believe in those particular subjects and, conversely, everyone who does believe and support these subjects are not necessarily RNs.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Shortstack said:
hollowpointred said:

I'm curious as to why anything out of the ordinary gets tagged as "redneck" ? Is it because we , so-called rednecks, are the only people who actually strive to get out of the everyday ruts of life and enjoy ourselves in games that don't involve martini drinking? :icon_scratch:Hey! Tap that keg and pass the pumpkin. ;D

Lastly; it is a historical fact that there are no rednecks north of the Mason-Dixon Line or west of the Mississippi River. :icon_study:

come on were talkin about "punkin chunkin" here! :D oh and by the way, southern Delaware is south of the mason dixon line. :wink:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
I watched it on the Discovery channel a while back, I loved it !

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
willie d said:
hollowpointred said:
I watched it on the Discovery channel a while back, I loved it !

yeah! its a big event here in Delaware! im in Northern Delaware and the punkin chunkin takes place about an hours drive south of here but it always draws huge crowds! :D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
Shortstack said:
hollowpointred said:

come on were talkin about "punkin chunkin" here! :D oh and by the way, southern Delaware is south of the mason dixon line. :wink:

Not according to the map. The southern part of Maryland's "foot" is below the M-D Line. Technically speaking, Delaware is West of and North of the Mason-Dixon Line. :icon_study:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well we went from pumpkin launching to trying to figure out what is a redneck.... I think there is a little redneck in everyone. example:
If someone gets you P O enough to fight and you hear yourself say " I'll tell you what " followed by a slur of profanity.... You might be a redneck
If sometime you hear yourself say " know what I mean" with a bucktooth look.... You might be a redneck...
If you drive a Caddy with HUGE horns.... you might be a redneck...

All in all if you are human and LOVE Jeff Foxworthy.... Then you qualify

and I am one of them

PLL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
well we went from pumpkin launching to trying to figure out what is a redneck.... I think there is a little redneck in everyone. example:
If someone gets you P O enough to fight and you hear yourself say " I'll tell you what " followed by a slur of profanity.... You might be a redneck
If sometime you hear yourself say " know what I mean" with a bucktooth look.... You might be a redneck...
If you drive a Caddy with HUGE horns.... you might be a redneck...

All in all if you are human and LOVE Jeff Foxworthy.... Then you qualify

and I am one of them

PLL

Caddy with big horns would be a Texan with too much oil money and a big-boobed blond beside him. ;D

As far as who or what a "redneck" is; redneck is the original snide name given to small time farmers and sharecroppers living in the South. Their kinsmen in the Northeast were called other names, such as, Irish dogs, Micks, Spicks, Frogs, etc. Those tags followed people as they moved westward toward Chicago and beyond. People coming to America, legally with nothing in their pockets but lint, were called many vile names by the "Americans" already living here. Now those "Americans" didn't have much money themselves, but still managed to look down their noses at the newcomers. :icon_scratch: Go figure.

When Jeff Foxworthy made it big in comedy with his Redneck jokes, those uptown martini drinkers began to laugh with us instead of at us; for the most part. Then,it became "fashionable" to have a redneck in your family....some Uncle who happened to live in another town or state. That's when all underpaid, hard working, bluecollar folks suddenly morphed into "redneck" status.
Let us just chalk it all up to Truth in Advertising and leave it at that. :thumbsup:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2008 World Championship Punkin Chunkin Contest will be broadcast on the Science Channel on Thursday night, Nov. 27, 2008. The TV ads started tonight.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi shortstacks,
Out here on the west coast I saw the show on wed am.... That's what made me post this... It's just nuts to watch, one guy launched a pumpkin over 4000 ft !!!! That why I say YOU GOTTA SEE THIS !!!!!

PLL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleg

I watched it last year and you're right; it is interesting and could get addictive. Last year, there was a guy with his launcher mounted on the chassis of an old blue 2 & 1/2 ton truck. He had designed a machine that spun up to speed, then release the punkin. His brokedown, but another guy's (his arch competitor) machine worked.

Those big unlimited air cannons are serious contraptions. Their target distance now is one full mile. I like the part where the show goes behind the scenes, into the workshops of the competitors, back at their homes. I'm a diehard junkpicker. :thumbsup: If nothing comes up; I plan to watch the upcoming show.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Blacksheep said:
Yea, seen this before and wish i had the time/money for this type of play.

As kids we would make tennis ball cannons from steel soda/beer cans, miss the old days. :wink:

We used to use a piece of PVC as the tube a couple Bic lighters and you are good to go.
launches everything from tennis balls to potatoes.
I don't recommend tomatoes or raw eggs. (speaking from experience)
A good hard boiled egg works OK though.
LOL

Thom

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcgearhead said:
I wonder if you could use a watermelon instead. They are both about the same in size, but a water melon would be more aerodynamic.

Well, they didn't make that mile chunk, but they did extend the world record to over 4,400 feet.

During the program, the story of how all of this to get started. A few guys sitting around drinking beer and discussing world affairs ::) when the subject about some college or high school students having a punkin chunking competition to raise money for some "cause" or other. First, one thing; then, another and before long the idea of shooting some out of a cannon like the tennis ball guns. The rest, as they say, is history. ;D Some backyard engineering at its best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread