Exchange rates, copyrights, money

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I was reading this morning about how the chines economy is suffering because of the global downturn.
We've got people over there now for serious talks about what to do.

Chinese want to lower the value of their yuan against the dollar, because their goods are getting more expensive here, and they hope to spur continued purchase. Our guys want them to hold, so they don't end up owning everything here because people keep buying fom them and the deficit continues to grow.

Then I got confused over the renminbi... that's the currency they use... it's denominated in the yuan.
But it all gets confusing to me, and I think them, too!
This is a 10 yuan renminbi note.
rmb5.JPG

What you see here is, Central Bank of China, written in 5 different dialects!

I wandered even further.... ;D

They were excessive about use of the copyright infringement and Fair Use type descriptions and disclaimers.
I guess china govt pretty nervous about what is transmitted. As you cab see, it's only part of the bill, and they were rather direct in declaring it was a low-res copy!

So I went after our buck.
MUCH bigger pic, yet there was quite a bit about secret service guidelines and such.
buck1.jpg
Hey George!

It came down to something like it couldn't be in the public domain, because the picture could never be free but it also couldn't be... I got more confused. ;D

So I looked up copyright.
ccongo.jpg
This is a picture by Congo, a chimpanzee​

I think the painting, created by Congo is pretty good!
Better than some of my own! ;D
It can't be copyrighted because it's NOT the workproduct of a human!

But someone fed that chimp! and bought a paint set for it!

Then you read about the Berne convention for internet use of images, but those are guidelines, and may be superceded by local laws... I give up!

I need more coffee!
How do you disclaim for a non-profit presentation and give credit where it might be due?
There's an awful lot to sort out in international finance before our situation improves.

Best
rmptr

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mi buddy RMPTR: Going through that ©@ thingie now. sigh, kin I join you for that strong coffee?

When I was in old China the official exchange rate was 12,000/1 in Peking it was 12,000,000/1. Can you guess what went on? Public executions for smugglers, kinda messy with brains scattered all over the street when one was going to a restaurant in a rickshaw...

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I must say, Don Jose, I have never in my life seen a rickshaw. Except in pictures.
Think I'll stay away from them!

At present, the value of the yen is climbing. If so, the global yen-carry trade will grow quickly.
I'm sure most those guys do it digitally, now.

Well, there's probably yakuza and the russian mob carting suitcases of the stuff here and there!

Way back when, my buddy Finnegan spent a few years running around CBI consuming all the alcohol he could find. In his spare time he ruined a number of bridges and railroad facilities.
He said china govt was so happy with his shenanigans they presented him with a medal, Order of the Silver Cloud, or something like that... He couldn't find it, any longer.

Great tales!

Somehow he married a beauty queen from a south american country and was sitting pretty 'til they decided to have a revolution.

He declared, 'The situation became untenable.' He got out, but did lose his hat!

Adios
rmptr

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RMPTR mi buddy, Please don't TALK revolution, I will be cleaned out if they have one here.

Incidentally, a gin ricksha is the most deligthful form of transportation that one can experience, once you get over the idea that a skinny human is pulling you. It is a floating, smoooth, extremely quiet ride.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well, patron, sponsor the second son of a very small village alcalde as best you can.
Some distance away in the mountains from where you may be now.
Advise him, someday you will call upon for his hospitality in return.

When los peros en la plaza en su ciudad are no longer happily sleeping in the shade at mid day, it is time to move into las montanas with your new amigo.
People here, will not believe how bad it can get.
People there expect it, though they hope for better.
They will not be shocked.

Each day is a good one.
In the least, it's the best we have to work with!
:icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread