How Big Is Wal-Mart?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?

This should boggle your mind. And scare you as well!

1 . At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2 . This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which
1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart

13 Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool :thumbsup:

Wish I owned Wallmart :wink:

K

Kentucky Kache

And then there's Bill Gates. I'm guessing these guys played a lot of Monopoly when they were kids.

B

BIG61AL

I avoid going to walmart whenever possible... i know they hire alot of handicapped [is that PC - What's better word] but they also are one the lowest paying employers in the world too...their full time pay is so low that you qualify for food stamps. Thanks Walmart!

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
I would like to know where the facts came from and what the amount of low pay is. Also does anyone know any other store that saves the American public more money?

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Yea, I always kinda feel like I need a shower after I leave a Wally world :wink:... The problem I had with Walmart is that they put a lot of small town, family owned businesses out of business. You know, the little man. But, they did it legally, and simply did "it" better than anybody else. I just hated to see small town people turn their backs on the small town, local businesses, all to save a few pennies on lower quality stuff. Oh well.... Gpurs.

K

Kentucky Kache

1.6 million people making 7-8 bucks an hour is better than 40-50 thousand people making 10-11 bucks an hour.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Enterprise

& these days every Penny counts.

WallMart isn't the cheapest with everything

You can do almost all your shopping there
but odds are you won't save much doing it.

What you may save on Bacon you may make up for buying
your eggs and
a case of their Soda there.

I do Most of mine there.
But buy a few of my
regular items elswhere cheaper.

like Bread, Snacks, Soda, & Eggs to name a few

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
"....The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour effective July 24, 2008; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage..." (http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/)

Not many know this....and many lose money because the employer puts them under the STATE MIN WAGE LAW!!! (for being entitled to the higher min wage.)

Here's a link for Min Wage in all states....which many fall UNDER the FED MIN WAGE LAW! (LOL...when I started work at 15 1/2 -1973-...I was getting $2.15 and hour and was excited when I got a raise to $2.35!)

http://www.employmentspot.com/job-question-answer/what-is-the-minimum-wage-in-my-state/

My state of Virginia pays $1.40 BELOW the FED MIN WAGE!!! But my store does start you out with the FED MIN WAGE!

And look at the State of Washington...$7.93.... do they really pay that? Can anyone confirm?

What one store sells for $19.95, another will sell it for $14.95, because they want your business, but then, they will up the price on other items to make up for their $5.00 loss!

Our store, we recently changed our tags to our new pricing that is suppose to save you money....there is no such thing! We (me and some employees who will remain nameless!) tested it. Receipts we had before this new change, we bought the same items and it cost us a few dollars more! Some items were cheaper, but others cost more and yet we still paid more overall!

To go shopping just to shop...I don't get into...to shop because I need something over my wanting something, I go in, get it and get the heck out!!! LOL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
To go shopping just to shop...I don't get into...to shop because I need something over my wanting something, I go in, get it and get the heck out!!! LOL

Yep !

that's how I am.

& I never , Never, Never go Grocery shopping till after I eat.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
Ron and Ann said:

Yep !

that's how I am.

& I never , Never, Never go Grocery shopping till after I eat.

Isn't that the truth.....one should ALWAYS eat before shopping...it has been proven you DO buy more groceries when you go shopping without eating!!! Think of all the money you could save if only you ate first!!

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
wal*mart will meet or beat any price item for item anywhere, anytime, if you do not believe it try it,and stop knocking the best thing that has ever happened to working people,where else can someone with just a ged go from pushing carts to comananger(12,000 to 100,000 per. yr.)in less than 10 yrs. i know this for a fact not hearsay. whitt459

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whitt459 said:
wal*mart will meet or beat any price item for item anywhere, anytime, if you do not believe it try it,and stop knocking the best thing that has ever happened to working people,where else can someone with just a ged go from pushing carts to comananger(12,000 to 100,000 per. yr.)in less than 10 yrs. i know this for a fact not hearsay. whitt459

Yep I stood behind a woman with Flyers from all the other Stores
as she went item per item for at least 5 Minutes
as they adjusted prices.

Guess I should do it but i would find that Embarrasing

Even though I am a Cheapa$$ :P

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
whitt459 said:

I for one, am not knocking Wal-mart...I actually prefer it over K-Mart...however, one getting to that level is one who has determination, who's a hard worker, loves their job, wants to get somewhere in life, not sit around and complain all the time about their job or rather spend time "text messaging" during WORK HOURS, rude to customers, take their sweet time taking care of customers.....

Some kids I work with, it's just a job and they complain all the time...while there is one young man, that use to work for me. He mentioned to me that his goal is to be a Grocery Manager and hopefully the Store Director. I talked to our Grocery Mgr at the time and he got this young man on the road he needs to be on and gave him tips on how to achieve his goals. He's worked in several depts to get the knowledge of how the store works. Right now, his age is a factor in some position, he's only 19....but in due time, he will achieve his goal. He's a hard worker, a reliable worker and a great guy all around!

So, if you are speaking of personal experience...KUDOS :thumbsup: to you for moving up and achieving your goals! But not everyone is like that. And it can happen in any company, not just Wal-Mart....

Like I was told many years ago.... "When the door opens, walk in...for opportunity awaits!"

Have a wonderful day,
Annmarie

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Wal-Mart prices will vary from store to store,within the same county! I have one here(superctr),a suprctr 25 mi north and a suprctr 25mi west.The marked prices for the smae item will vary at each one.Plus they all three will have items that are not at the other stores.The one here is usually higher with less inventory than the other two and I think it is because the other two are in a little larger town.I know when I go to KC,the prices will be lower there than in all three stores in this area.???????????????

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep same here.

Unfortunately the Fruther I must drive the Cheaper their Prices

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
Yep same here.

Unfortunately the Fruther I must drive the Cheaper their Prices

But you have to take in account, the cost of gas for cheaper prices....is it really cheaper?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems every time I need to go to Walmart, the parking lot & store looks like the day before Christmas...last minute shoppers.

For my area, the closest is about 7 miles away, but the traffic is horrible and so many traffic lights to even get there, plus trying to find a place to park. It is much easier to take the back roads from home and head to another Walmart approximately 20 miles away...hit the interstate and only 1 traffic light. Honest to goodness the sales tax is lower too.

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread